• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homeopathy is bunk!

tomato1236

Ninja Master
It's not homeopathy, I think, but my sister has immersed herself in an obsession with "Essential Oils". Now my initial problem with this is the name. Where can I get some non-essential oils? If they're so essential, how have I survived 27 years without them?

Anyway, it seems like a bunch of bullcrap to me, and makes me sick because my dad got bitten by a dog and my sister put some drops of oil that costs 100 bucks/teeny bottle on it, and when it stopped bleeding, she claimed the oil did it. The arguments for oils and for homeopathy sound identical. There are even oil people who combine its use with the belief that resolving an anger issue will cure kidney stones, etc.

The whole thing grosses me out.

Smoke

Done here.
It's not homeopathy, I think, but my sister has immersed herself in an obsession with "Essential Oils". Now my initial problem with this is the name. Where can I get some non-essential oils? If they're so essential, how have I survived 27 years without them?

Anyway, it seems like a bunch of bullcrap to me, and makes me sick because my dad got bitten by a dog and my sister put some drops of oil that costs 100 bucks/teeny bottle on it, and when it stopped bleeding, she claimed the oil did it. The arguments for oils and for homeopathy sound identical. There are even oil people who combine its use with the belief that resolving an anger issue will cure kidney stones, etc.
I've used essential oils for years for various purposes like making bath salts, but I've certainly never paid $100 a bottle for them, and a lot of them would be unsuitable for putting directly on the skin.

I like camphor oil especially; it seems to help my sinuses. But you can buy it for $2 a ounce all over the place. Sounds like your sister is being taken.

(Some essential oils, like rose oil, can be very expensive, but I don't know of any genuine medicinal use for rose oil anyway. Most people use it because the like the scent.)

gnomon

Love the Mitchell and O'Briain clip. I had to check QI and found a clip with Stephen Fry, David Mitchell and Dara O'Briain.

Ireland is the number one exporter of bananas out of the European nations?

That's weird.

Anyway, back on topic.

Love the Mitchell and O'Briain clip. I had to check QI and found a clip with Stephen Fry, David Mitchell and Dara O'Briain.

Ireland is the number one exporter of bananas out of the European nations?

That's weird.

Anyway, back on topic.

And Iceland is the largest producer of bananas in Europe :danana:

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
I made this point in another old homeopathy thread (Gnomon had some great posts in that one too):
...if homeopathy is defined as diluting a substance to the point where few if any molecules or active ingredients of the original product are left thus leaving a residual "memory" that is even more efficacious than the original product then why aren't people suffering symptoms from, say, sedative abuse, or even deaths by overdose? Water supplies have miniscule harmless amounts of all kinds of drugs yet there's nothing to indicate people are suffering ill effects from it. Of course a homeopath will just shrug and say the water supplies were not prepared via "succussion" to increase the "potentization".

"Succussion" and"potentization" are basically buzzwords for magic or voodoo or abracadabra.

I made this point in another old homeopathy thread (Gnomon had some great posts in that one too):
...if homeopathy is defined as diluting a substance to the point where few if any molecules or active ingredients of the original product are left thus leaving a residual "memory" that is even more efficacious than the original product then why aren't people suffering symptoms from, say, sedative abuse, or even deaths by overdose? Water supplies have miniscule harmless amounts of all kinds of drugs yet there's nothing to indicate people are suffering ill effects from it. Of course a homeopath will just shrug and say the water supplies were not prepared via "succussion" to increase the "potentization".

"Succussion" and"potentization" are basically buzzwords for magic or voodoo or abracadabra.

So tap water is essentially homeopathic diarrhea medication and fertility treatment or is it contraception how does that work I wonder :confused:

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
So tap water is essentially homeopathic diarrhea medication and fertility treatment or is it contraception how does that work I wonder :confused:
Leave it to an Irish girl to ask about contraception and fertility treatments in the same breath.

Ohhhhhhhhh! I am on a role today! :p

no-body

Homeopathy is indeed nothing but snake oil the only ones who advocate it are those deep into new age bunk and (surprise, surprise) those deep into selling new age bunk. Like colonics they have been shown time and time again to be absolutely worthless and the only provable effect is from placebo. Not that scientific control studies would convince these people, really it's more wood for the flames since they can claim conspiracy and that it's all funded by "big pharma"

I've used essential oils for years for various purposes like making bath salts, but I've certainly never paid $100 a bottle for them, and a lot of them would be unsuitable for putting directly on the skin.

I like camphor oil especially; it seems to help my sinuses. But you can buy it for $2 a ounce all over the place. Sounds like your sister is being taken.

(Some essential oils, like rose oil, can be very expensive, but I don't know of any genuine medicinal use for rose oil anyway. Most people use it because the like the scent.)

I'm not sure about physiological effects that seems kind of dodgy but smell has a great psychological effect and I could see using oils to treat anxiety, depression, etc.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I'm going to take a small hiatus from my usual practice of going around the ring with religionists to take on a more secular box of hooey, in my opinion, homeopathy. IMO homeopathy is quakery, bunkum, at best harmless and at worst dangerous.

Anyone interested in defending it?
I agree with you...A day that will live in infamy.

Midnight Pete

As you know Pete, I love the truth, and lies make me angry. But this thread is not about me, it's about homeopathy. Got anything to contribute?

Not really, no. I just poked my head into this discussion to see what was going on. One thing: do you love the tuth more than people?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Excuse me !!!!Crushed "oyster" shells or "mixes "flower petals" arent probably helpful..(sorry!)

But Im on board with "eat an orange"..And hello WATER..How about for muscle cramps a plain old banana?(potasium HELLO)...

Love

Dallas

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
To back up Sandy...

Holistic: the accepted concept that psychological, physical and social, and mental wellness all contribute to a persons well-being. Nutrition, herbal and vitamin supplements being a focus of health-food stores.

Homeopathy: The thoroughly debunked notion that diluting preparations which cause certain symptoms in water down to millions PPM will help cure disease if drunk by a person with those symptoms.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I'm going to take a small hiatus from my usual practice of going around the ring with religionists to take on a more secular box of hooey, in my opinion, homeopathy. IMO homeopathy is quakery, bunkum, at best harmless and at worst dangerous.

Anyone interested in defending it?

Nope.