• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexual Question

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I realise that in some Islamic nations it is normal to kill a person who is discovered to be a homosexual and one member recently made such a statement on this site. I want to ask:

1) Do all Muslims think it is right to kill homosexuals?
2) Why is it ok to kill a homosexual who is only committing sin to himself while a man can rape a woman (for example), which is involving an innocent person, and not be killed?
3) What if the homosexual turned out to be a parent, sibling or your child? Would you want to kill them?

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I realise that in some Islamic nations it is normal to kill a person who is discovered to be a homosexual and one member recently made such a statement on this site. I want to ask:

it is an islamic law that homosexuals are to be killed if it can be proven that they actually are homosexual and when asked to change his ways, he refuses. but you must note that by changing his ways it means that he gets proper help and is willing to change back to being a heterosexual.

2) Why is it ok to kill a homosexual who is only committing sin to himself while a man can rape a woman (for example), which is involving an innocent person, and not be killed?

rapists are also killed in islam.

3) What if the homosexual turned out to be a parent, sibling or your child? Would you want to kill them?

it is not up to an individual whether a homosexual should be killed or not. at present it is the dutie of no muslim to kill a homosexual or an apostate. we do not have our own government and just like how all government laws run, the people are not allowed to take the law into their own hands. you can't just simply kill someone only because you think they are homosexual. there need to be solid evidence presented before a judge.

if you want to know more about what islam says concerning homosexuality, i can get some material for you.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you Esalam, I guess I am mostly looking for personal opinions. Your answer has been helpful but in the west we hear many stories of men who absude or rape women and get away with it. Sometimes the woman is shamed even though she is the one who was violated. I guess this is more the case of individual communities rather than law?

Aquitaine

What I want to know is why does Homo-Sexuality warrant such a heavy punishment, or even any punishment at all? What's so bad about it?

Sahar

Killing persons who are guilty of homosexual acts is not something agreed upon between the scholars of Islam. Some scholars say the punishment can be jail, lash, or killing.
I'd like to clarify that it's not normal individuals and citizens who kill, I mean it's not like when I find a homosexual I go and kill him, no. There are laws, legal system and courts, it's treated like any other crime. It's not chaos or shouldn't be like this.

Homosexual practices are heavily frowned upon in Islam, it's going against our own humanity, it's deviation from the creation of Allah. And people of Lut who committed such sinful acts and refused to stop following this way were severely punished.

As for your questions;
1. I can't say what other Muslims think but as I said the death penalty is controversial between the scholars in the first place. Of course there are some deviants who call themselves Muslims and see that homosexuality should be allowed and the Qur'anic prohibition is out of date.

2. Who said so? The penalty of the rape crime reaches death of the rapist in many cases.

3. I am not authorized to kill anyone as I said before and I usually don't kill. :sarcastic
If he was someone close to me, I would try my best to advise and help him to seek spiritual and psychological help. That's what I would do.

Sahar

I'd like to clarify that I believe the first thing we do regarding this issue is maintaining good religious and spiritual education and stable family environment. The second thing we should offer spiritual and psychological/medical help, educating the parents and the family about how to deal with and help that member of the family who suffers from homosexual urges and even involved in homosexual practices.
Resorting to penalty should be the last step and in few cases.

It's important from the homosexual person to stay away from the sexual acts. Like the heterosexual who has urges too but should stay chaste until marriage. Having homosexual urges doesn't justify involving in homosexual acts.
Even if he was involved, the Muslim while committing the sin should be in a state of weakness and admitting that's it's disobedience. We all commit sins out of weakness but repentance is the cornerstone. And we should offer our help to these persons.
But who commit the sin with arrogance and deliberately want to go against Allah's law and to spread corruption in earth, this is another story.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
3. I am not authorized to kill anyone as I said before and I usually don't kill. :sarcastic
Saying "I usually don't kill" would indicate that though it is not normal behavior for you, it does happen on rare occasions. How often then do you kill? :D:facepalm::D

Sahar

Saying "I usually don't kill" would indicate that though it is not normal behavior for you, it does happen on rare occasions. How often then do you kill? :D:facepalm::D
ha ;) You know infidels are increasing day after another! Infidels, homosexuals,...you know...

That's why I love the emoticon of sarcasm.

Aquitaine

I'd like to clarify that I believe the first thing we do regarding this issue is maintaining good religious and spiritual education and stable family environment. The second thing we should offer spiritual and psychological/medical help, educating the parents and the family about how to deal with and help that member of the family who suffers from homosexual urges and even involved in homosexual practices.
Resorting to penalty should be the last step and in few cases.

It's important from the homosexual person to stay away from the sexual acts. Like the heterosexual who has urges too but should stay chaste until marriage. Having homosexual urges doesn't justify involving in homosexual acts.
Even if he was involved, the Muslim while doing should be in a state of weakness and admitting that's it's disobedience. We all commit sins out of weakness but repentance is the cornerstone. And we should offer our help to these persons.
But who commit the sin with arrogance and deliberately want to go against Allah's law and to spread corruption in earth, this is another story.

But what is your personal opinion on a penalty for Homo-Sexuals?

Also, how is Homo-Sexuality "against our Humanity"?

Also, what's wrong with Homo-Sexuality? A Homo-Sexual isn't all of a sudden gonna start raping people. no more than an Atheist is gonna start eating babies (except we do, of course).

Why not just let the Homo-Sexual be free to follow his/her path of attraction. After all, it's not a matter of choice, you cannot choose whom you're attracted to.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
it is an islamic law that homosexuals are to be killed if it can be proven that they actually are homosexual and when asked to change his ways, he refuses. but you must note that by changing his ways it means that he gets proper help and is willing to change back to being a heterosexual.
To change back he/she would have to have been a hetero to begin with, which is often enough not the case at all.

rapists are also killed in islam.
So.... homosexual = just as bad as rapist?

EDIT: Woopsies - didn't notice this in the DIR section - chuck me a PM and I'll remove stuff if anyone feels it breaches it - either in this post or the next ^_^

Last edited:

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Let me assure you, there's no suffering going on here, whatsoever ;)

To be honest, any suffering comes not from homosexual urges themselves, but the reactions you get from some other people.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you not4me for you responses. It is good to get some insight. I assumed that rape was not badly punished because here we are hearing about cases where rape occurs and the man is maybe beaten and allowed to repent or where the woman is the one punished. But that, I agree, is called biased media.

Are these laws the same in all Islamic nations? Or does it differ from one to the other? It might explain some of the stories. Or not.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Let me assure you, there's no suffering going on here, whatsoever ;)

To be honest, any suffering comes not from homosexual urges themselves, but the reactions you get from some other people.

Some religious people suffer from homosexual urges. Their desire for homosexuality causes internal conflict with their desire for religious devotion.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
To change back he/she would have to have been a hetero to begin with, which is often enough not the case at all.

homosexuals can change back to heterosexuals, they didn't start off homosexual to begin with. homosexuality is a choice, not a choice to become homosexual but a choice to become heterosexual.

So.... homosexual = just as bad as rapist?

don't know which one is worse than the other. but am sure both are bad.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
don't know which one is worse than the other. but am sure both are bad.

Why would homosexuality be the same as or worse than rape? Homosexuality is a state of being; it is an identification, a label or a physical state/feeling. You can be a homosexual and not even have sex. Or you can be a homosexual and have sex with a consenting partner.

Rape on the other hand is always a physical abuse to a non consenting partner. It inevitably involves an innocent person who is being forced into a situation, and hurt physically or scarred mentally.

So I ask again, how could -being- a homosexual be the same as or worse than a rapist?