• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality and religious.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Since we are on the subject... care to share what the Baha'i religion has to say on the topic of homosexuality?
Baháʼí teachings state that Baháʼís should not treat homosexual people as condemned outcasts, nor expect people who are not Baháʼí to follow Baháʼí laws. The Baháʼí writings teach adherents to treat everyone with respect and dignity, and to eschew an attitude of discrimination and social intolerance toward homosexuals.

Baháʼí views on homosexuality - Wikipedia

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Dont worry, i knew this thread would be walking in to a minefield :) and i was right
That only demonstrates how much importance people place on sex.

"In another letter on the Guardian's behalf, also to an individual believer, the secretary writes:

'Amongst the many other evils afflicting society in this spiritual low water mark in history is the question of immorality, and over-emphasis of sex…'

"This indicates how the whole matter of sex and the problems related to it have assumed far too great an importance in the thinking of present-day society.

'Such a chaste and holy life, with its implications of modesty, purity, temperance, decency, and clean-mindedness, involves no less than the exercise of moderation in all that pertains to dress, language, amusements, and all artistic and literary avocations. It demands daily vigilance in the control of one's carnal desires and corrupt inclinations.'

(From a letter of the Universal House of Justice to an individual believer, a copy of which was sent to the compiler with a letter dated March 8, 1981)

Lights of Guidance/Chastity and Sex Education - Bahaiworks, a library of works about the Bahá’í Faith

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Have you read the Hidden Words of Baha’u’llah and what He says about condemning others?

26: O SON OF BEING! How couldst thou forget thine own faults and busy thyself with the faults of others? Whoso doeth this is accursed of Me.”
The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 10

66: O EMIGRANTS! The tongue I have designed for the mention of Me, defile it not with detraction. If the fire of self overcome you, remember your own faults and not the faults of My creatures, inasmuch as every one of you knoweth his own self better than he knoweth others.
The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 45

44: O COMPANION OF MY THRONE! Hear no evil, and see no evil, abase not thyself, neither sigh and weep. Speak no evil, that thou mayest not hear it spoken unto thee, and magnify not the faults of others that thine own faults may not appear great; and wish not the abasement of anyone, that thine own abasement be not exposed. Live then the days of thy life, that are less than a fleeting moment, with thy mind stainless, thy heart unsullied, thy thoughts pure, and thy nature sanctified, so that, free and content, thou mayest put away this mortal frame, and repair unto the mystic paradise and abide in the eternal kingdom for evermore.
The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 37

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So you confirm that Bahaism calls homosexuality a "shameful sexual aberration" that should be purged from the world - yet you also claim that Bahaism forbids being intolerant or prejudiced towards people. :tearsofjoy:
It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
He said overcome, not purged. There is nothing about 'purged from the world' - you added that for effect.

Bahá'u'lláh has spoken very strongly against this shameful sexual aberration, as He has against adultery and immoral conduct in general. We must try and help the soul to overcome them. (25 October 1949) [3]

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
There is no homophobia in the Baha'i teachings. There is only a Baha'i Law that prohibits homosexual acts for those who are Baha'is.
The quote that is being used in this debate is "a shameful sexual aberration that needs to be purged from the planet".

1) Is this an accurate quote from Baha'u'llah's scripture?
2) If so, "needs to be purged from the planet" expands the scope far beyond prohibiting homosexual acts for those who are Baha'i.

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
In a public place i could prevent it if I saw it yes. Due to rape being illegal, being homosexual is not forbidden, not in Norway anyway
But homosexuality is against your god's law, and presumably you consider god to be a higher authority than man on moral issues.

If (and this is a hypothetical, I'm not saying that it is going to happen, so don't base your response on that likelihood) Norway voted in a Bahai government and they passed a law purging the shameful aberration of homosexuality from the land, would you welcome it or oppose it?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
But homosexuality is against your god's law, and presumably you consider god to be a higher authority than man on moral issues.

If (and this is a hypothetical, I'm not saying that it is going to happen, so don't base your response on that likelihood) Norway voted in a Bahai government and they passed a law purging the shameful aberration of homosexuality from the land, would you welcome it or oppose it?
The homosexual act is not something a Baha'i are supposed to do. What non Baha'is so is their choice.

I am non political so I would be neutral on that part

KWED

And billions more actually think about their holy book.
Not sure about that. Just look at some of the polls on opinions amongst religious groups. There is often strong support for the hateful and the bonkers.

Oh i agree. But @Seeker of White Light is not putting hateful elements into practice and has been very clear on this point
I see acting hatefully towards homosexuals, and merely condoning hate speech towards homosexuals to be two sides of the same coin. One is just a bit less honest than the other.

KWED

The quote that is being used in this debate is "a shameful sexual aberration that needs to be purged from the planet".

1) Is this an accurate quote from Baha'u'llah's scripture?
2) If so, "needs to be purged from the planet" expands the scope far beyond prohibiting homosexual acts for those who are Baha'i.
Sorry, my mistake. It is actually "a shameful sexual aberration that needs to be purged from the world"