• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality not included.

Spirited

Bring about world peace
From your blathering about homosexual agendas and wanting to severely restrict peoples rights, this goes way beyond religion.

Yikes, I think I struck a nerve somewhere. Until coming to this forum, I have never heard of religion in a personal context. It's always been something to be spread and evangelized as far as I had known. It's not just a collection of "ideas I like". Unificationism is an absolutist theology, it doesn't tell me to walk one path as society takes the other. Hate us as you will, but we are people who strive to live all of our principles every day of our lives, and we constantly witness and try to lead others to what we believe is right. That's what it means to be a member of my faith and many others.

no-body

Yikes, I think I struck a nerve somewhere. Until coming to this forum, I have never heard of religion in a personal context. It's always been something to be spread and evangelized as far as I had known. It's not just a collection of "ideas I like". Unificationism is an absolutist theology, it doesn't tell me to walk one path as society takes the other. Hate us as you will, but we are people who strive to live all of our principles every day of our lives, and we constantly witness and try to lead others to what we believe is right. That's what it means to be a member of my faith and many others.

If you live in America you can believe whatever you want, but that stuff about "discriminating" against you because you want to discriminate is nonsense. It doesn't hold water and it never will. If you want to blindly hate because that is what your religion tells you go for it, but don't expect society to cater to your hate.

Spirited

Bring about world peace
If you live in America you can believe whatever you want, but that stuff about "discriminating" against you because you want to discriminate is nonsense. It doesn't hold water and it never will. If you want to blindly hate because that is what your religion tells you go for it, but don't expect society to cater to your hate.

Stop projecting hate. I don't, never have, and never will hate gay people. One can be opposed to a lifestyle without hating those who choose to pursue it. I'm getting really tired of being called a hater, a homophobe, or even a homosexual for simply passively disagreeing and debating a position on a forum.

I am through with this thread. You guys throw out too many personal attacks for me to really comfortably debate. I don't mind vehement argumentation, but logically fallacious attacks on my person are a bit too tasteless for me.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Stop projecting hate. I don't, never have, and never will hate gay people. One can be opposed to a lifestyle without hating those who choose to pursue it. I'm getting really tired of being called a hater, a homophobe, or even a homosexual for simply passively disagreeing and debating a position on a forum.

I am through with this thread. You guys throw out too many personal attacks for me to really comfortably debate. I don't mind vehement argumentation, but logically fallacious attacks on my person are a bit too tasteless for me.

It's cute that you think you're actually debating.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member

I'll debate with you if you want :D

no-body

So you love homosexuals, you just don't want them to have the same basic human and civil rights as you do? Right.

It's not a personal attack if it is true, if someone was part of the KKK was called a bigot for their beliefs it would be the same thing. That's why you hate it when people bring it up, you want to discriminate without being called out on it.

Awoon

smiley-score001.gif

Lobsters are unclean, therefore sinners.

Fester

I'm not projecting hate, okay? But I do have a couple of question...

You consider homosexuality as a "lifestyle", while gays will tell you that homosexual is simply what they are. First question: if you consider homosexuality to be a lifestyle, do you also consider heterosexuality to be a lifestyle? Second question: if homosexuality isn't a lifestyle, then how is it possible to hate what they are without hating who they are?

Spirited

Bring about world peace
So you love homosexuals, you just don't want them to have the same basic human and civil rights as you do? Right.

It's not a personal attack if it is true, if someone was part of the KKK was called a bigot for their beliefs it would be the same thing. That's why you hate it when people bring it up, you want to discriminate without being called out on it.

I don't frown upon "being gay", I frown upon acting out on gayness. It's not equitable to the KKK because "black", is a state of being and no action contributes to or distributes from this distinction. I am aware that many call homosexuality a state of being as well, and I am not here to argue for or against that, but rather that it is the acting out of the desire that is immoral, not the having of said desire.

Heterosexual or bisexual people can commit homosexual actions. White people cannot commit "being black", so I don't see the comparison to the Klan at all. They target a single group of individuals who were forcibly removed from their own nation and placed in America against their will. They hate them regardless of their lifestyle choices or demeanor. I don't hate anyone, I just wish that certain actions that I see as inherently wrong will not become legally permissible for anyone, regardless of whether or not they are highly predisposed to committing these acts.

Fester

I don't frown upon "being gay", I frown upon acting out on gayness. It's not equitable to the KKK because "black", is a state of being and no action contributes to or distributes from this distinction. I am aware that many call homosexuality a state of being as well, and I am not here to argue for or against that, but rather that it is the acting out of the desire that is immoral, not the having of said desire.
So....as long as gays stay in the closet, you're okay?

no-body

You can word it however you want, you want to discriminate against homosexuals having the same rights as you. Hiding the bigotry behind your religious beliefs just makes people angry at religion.

Heterosexual or bisexual people can commit homosexual actions. White people cannot commit "being black", so I don't see the comparison to the Klan at all. They target a single group of individuals who were forcibly removed from their own nation and placed in America against their will. They hate them regardless of their lifestyle choices or demeanor. I don't hate anyone, I just wish that certain actions that I see as inherently wrong will not become legally permissible for anyone, regardless of whether or not they are highly predisposed to committing these acts.

Homosexual actions are immoral? Since you are venturing out of religion here, please explain. Or explain why you think you should be able to cram your religious beliefs down societies throat.

Spirited

Bring about world peace
I'm not projecting hate, okay? But I do have a couple of question...

You consider homosexuality as a "lifestyle", while gays will tell you that homosexual is simply what they are. First question: if you consider homosexuality to be a lifestyle, do you also consider heterosexuality to be a lifestyle?
Whoa, great question!

In those terms, there is certainly a heterosexual lifestyle. Not all heterosexual people necessarily live this lifestyle, but most do (priests and nuns being an obvious but not exclusive exception, as they are celibate). All priests and nuns are either heterosexual, bi-sexual, or homosexual (pansexual I guess could be included here as well). They choose, however, not to give themselves to any sexuality at all. Do I have anything against homosexual priests who do not allow themselves any sexual contact at all or think that they are evil? Absolutely not. Likewise, I do not think there is anything wrong with harboring homosexual feelings if one tries to live a heterosexual lifestyle.

I don't hate anyone for choosing not to live by my ideals, but I will still evangelize my viewpoint and try to do what I can to help those who are willing to listen (straight or gay).

Second question: if homosexuality isn't a lifestyle, then how is it possible to hate what they are without hating who they are?
Once again, I don't hate anyone. I use very absolute, unyielding speech when I outline my beliefs, but that doesn't mean I hate gay people. I just think that allowing them to marry would be condemning them to a horrible fate. I personally have known and heard testimonies given by people who have strong homosexual tendencies that decided they wanted to live a heterosexual lifestyle with a wife and their own children. I believe that if an individual does this with the right motivation, and is open with their partner about their difficulties, they can succeed. Is doing this hard? Certainly it's hard.

There is a perception about asking gays to live a heterosexual lifestyle, and that it is somehow totally radical and different from what others go through, but it really isn't that different at all. Alcoholism runs in my family and if I have a single drink, I won't want to stop until I run out of money or pass out, it's simply how it works. Naturally, as I have that tendency, I love to drink! However, it is for that very reason, that I can never responsibly do so. Many people struggle with sexual addictions, gambling addictions, video game addictions, substance addictions, and other compulsions that they really cannot completely overcome in their lifetime. I'm not condemning anyone for having problems, I have a ton too, but I know that it's my responsibility as a human being to overcome them and set an example for others who wish to.

For some, no explanation I can give will ever be good enough. For people who don't understand the nature of alcoholism, the comparison is probably unacceptable. I hope that makes sense and I welcome more debate*

Edit*
Homosexual actions are immoral? Since you are venturing out of religion here, please explain. Or explain why you think you should be able to cram your religious beliefs down societies throat.

Everyone crams their beliefs down everyone elses throat, in fact, you are doing it now. Relativism and individualism are belief systems, whether you like it or not. Every religion offers a definition of morality, as do most philosophies. Jeremy Bentham comes to mind when talking about collectivism vs individualism.

Last edited: