• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality not included.

Fester

There seems to be no clear concensus on whether or not homosexuality is a sin. But even if it is, it's just one in a long list of sins. So why, pray tell, does homosexuality get all the attention? Why aren't some of these other sins the subject of hot debate? Here's your chance to give them the equal time they deserve.

For example, slothfulness. Why does nobody picket our soldier's funerals with signs that say "God hates lazy people"?

Or gluttony. Can an over-eater really be a Christian if he/she doesn't repent from being a glutton? In terms of sin, what makes MacDonald's any different than a gay bath-house? Except for the whole drive-through part, I mean...

And why should narcissists and arrogant people have the right to get married? Don't tell me those guys don't have an agenda! If we let them have their way, pretty soon everyone will be stuck-up. When your kids start getting arrogant and thinking only of themselves, don't come crying to me.

And what about lying? That one's a biggie; it even has it's own commandment. Remember, many Christmases ago, when you told your grandma you loved the sweater she knitted for you, even though you actually hated it? Well...good luck in hell. At least you won't be alone there; everyone who's ever held a political office will be there with you. Except for those nice Tea Party folks. They can't tell lies....they're conservatives.

So this thread is dedicated to all of you who ever wanted to voice your disgust at some of those lesser mentioned sins. A prideful person doesn't have the "ick" factor that some gay guy might, but at least his sin is actually mentioned in scripture.

So, to all you prideful, slothful, arrogant, conceited, gluttonous, dishonest gossip-mongers, read this thread at your own risk....the butt that gets handed to you might be your own.

And to those of you who have a beef with the above....release the hounds.

Awoon

The more sins institutions create, the more sinners they have joining their institutions.

CAH CHING $$$$$$$$

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/general-religious-debates/121912-homosexuality-bible-part-2-nt.html This is the final of three essays I wrote on the subject. Basically, to sum it all up, the problem with homosexuality is based on preconceived prejudices that run through all of society. Since homosexuality is a minority, it is seen as different, and thus persecuted by some (we see this to be true with any number of minorities). The difference between other sectors of society persecuting homosexuals, and Christians, is that Christians try to justify it with a book. In essence, they hide behind a books, while other hide behind other ideas to justify their prejudices and intolerance.

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
I don't believe in sin, but if I did I'd probably enjoy most of them. ;)
I do agree though that Christians seem to be way too obsessed with homosexuality while other sins dn't get much of a mention.

Photonic

Ad astra!
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/general-religious-debates/121912-homosexuality-bible-part-2-nt.html This is the final of three essays I wrote on the subject. Basically, to sum it all up, the problem with homosexuality is based on preconceived prejudices that run through all of society. Since homosexuality is a minority, it is seen as different, and thus persecuted by some (we see this to be true with any number of minorities). The difference between other sectors of society persecuting homosexuals, and Christians, is that Christians try to justify it with a book. In essence, they hide behind a books, while other hide behind other ideas to justify their prejudices and intolerance.

There may be a truth to what you say. The primary driving source appears to be societies boots stepping on a minority group again to justify feeling superior.

At least in my eyes.

SCHIZO

I've never sinned in my life. Christians are obsessed with sin. That's all they talk about. They talk about everyone else's sin and omit their own. Its overly pretentious to focus on other peoples shortcomings but never knowing their own. I've been accused alot by Christians over the years but one thing I am and their not is a virgin. So what sin have I ever committed?

Walkntune

Any sin that tries to self justify will find itself in resistance under law.If you tell a kid with a hose not to wet you there is a good chance you will get wet.
Someone asked me why the fornication and teen pregnancy was so high in the south near the BIBLE belt.The answer is because they follow religious rules out of law instead of truly from a repented heart and create temptations and resistance .Bottom line is the Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.If you walk by the flesh you will die and if you walk by the Spirit you will find life!

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Every sin is just as bad. Homosexuality only makes such debate, because people dislike it the most. But its not the only one I have seen debated. There are some liberal catholics who want to rewrite the sin that deal with sex, blaming it all on St. Augustine. Thinking he was more inspired by his own guilt then by God.

Many of the sins can and have been debated. Its just the sexual sins are more ontopic is this very sexual culture.

Some Christians still debate whether or not masturbation is a sin or not. Same with premarital sex.

Straw Dog

There seems to be no clear concensus on whether or not homosexuality is a sin. But even if it is, it's just one in a long list of sins. So why, pray tell, does homosexuality get all the attention? Why aren't some of these other sins the subject of hot debate? Here's your chance to give them the equal time they deserve.

For example, slothfulness. Why does nobody picket our soldier's funerals with signs that say "God hates lazy people"?

Or gluttony. Can an over-eater really be a Christian if he/she doesn't repent from being a glutton? In terms of sin, what makes MacDonald's any different than a gay bath-house? Except for the whole drive-through part, I mean...

And why should narcissists and arrogant people have the right to get married? Don't tell me those guys don't have an agenda! If we let them have their way, pretty soon everyone will be stuck-up. When your kids start getting arrogant and thinking only of themselves, don't come crying to me.

And what about lying? That one's a biggie; it even has it's own commandment. Remember, many Christmases ago, when you told your grandma you loved the sweater she knitted for you, even though you actually hated it? Well...good luck in hell. At least you won't be alone there; everyone who's ever held a political office will be there with you. Except for those nice Tea Party folks. They can't tell lies....they're conservatives.

So this thread is dedicated to all of you who ever wanted to voice your disgust at some of those lesser mentioned sins. A prideful person doesn't have the "ick" factor that some gay guy might, but at least his sin is actually mentioned in scripture.

So, to all you prideful, slothful, arrogant, conceited, gluttonous, dishonest gossip-mongers, read this thread at your own risk....the butt that gets handed to you might be your own.

And to those of you who have a beef with the above....release the hounds.

If some Christians went picketing McDonald's, I'd totally be down with joining them. I'm pretty sure gluttony is a much bigger issue than homosexuality in the U.S. It really reveals someone's personal bias or hatred when they choose to focus on the "sin" of homosexuality to the exclusion of all others.

Also, it's impossible to be a politician without lying so what does that tell you?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
My biggest complaint is the vast amount of people who call themselves Christian know that Leviticus says something about a man lying with a man as he would a woman is an abomination, but they don't know a single other thing Leviticus also calls an abomination.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
The sexual sins in general receive extra attention from Christians because it has been a great stumbling block for many Americans in encountering Jesus. People just don't want to submit to God with their bodies. Homosexuality perhaps receives the most attention of the sexual sins because to many heterosexuals the thought of two males doing it together makes the stomach turn as opposed to heterosexual acts which they're tempted to engage in.

Last edited:

Photonic

Ad astra!
The sexual sins in general receive extra attention from Christians because it has been a great stumbling block for many Americans in encountering Jesus. People just don't want to submit to God with their bodies. Homosexuality perhaps receives the most attention of the sexual sins because to many heterosexuals the thought of two males doing it together makes the stomach turn as opposed to heterosexual acts which they're tempted to engage in.

You know what's odd?

This.
After a long hiatus marked by censorship of homosexual themes,[10] modern historians picked up the thread, starting with Erich Bethe in 1907 and continuing with K. J. Dover and many others. These scholars have shown that same-sex relations were openly practised, largely with official sanction, in many areas of life from the 7th century BC until the Roman era.

Or rather...not...odd, but completely accepted.

Not to mention in Ancient Greece, they classified sexual acts not by gender, but by who is being penetrated/is penetrating. The active (penetrating) role was considered masculine and the passive (penetrated) role was feminine, or of lower class.

Last edited:

Straw Dog

Watching an obese woman eating at McDonald's also makes my stomach turn, and yet I don't feel that I have the right to force her to stop eating.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I'm still trying to figure out why Christians believe mastubating is a sin

For the most part, it goes back to one story, in which, to just sum up quickly as I don't remember the verses, this guy, instead of ejaculating into his wife (who I believe was his dead brothers wife, but he took position of husband when his brother died, as was tradition), he spilt his seed on the floor, and was struck down and killed.

Now, this story has a different meaning for those who actually take the time to understand it, but when it is used to forbid masturbation, it usually has to do with not procreating.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Watching an obese woman eating at McDonald's also makes my stomach turn, and yet I don't feel that I have the right to force her to stop eating.

What? I always make sure they know that they are sinning, and I slap the meat out of their mouth and send them to hell. Otherwise, how are they going to know that you're better than them?

On a serious note, I do like your point here.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
I'm still trying to figure out why Christians believe mastubating is a sin

Because...this will be a hell of a laugh...it's murder to waste sperm.

For the most part, it goes back to one story, in which, to just sum up quickly as I don't remember the verses, this guy, instead of ejaculating into his wife (who I believe was his dead brothers wife, but he took position of husband when his brother died, as was tradition), he spilt his seed on the floor, and was struck down and killed.

Now, this story has a different meaning for those who actually take the time to understand it, but when it is used to forbid masturbation, it usually has to do with not procreating.

No, your all pretty much wrong. Its from the verse in Matthew 5
[27] You have heard that it was said to them of old: Thou shalt not commit adultery. [28] But I say to you, that whosoever shall look on a woman to lust after her, hath already committed adultery with her in his heart.

You cant masturbate without lusting