• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How are these Great Beings explained?

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
Point 1 already contradicts beliefs of other religions. Why didn't the different manifestations get their "facts" straight before they told people what the afterlife was like? Would it have been that difficult to say "No, there is no reincarnation." And, "No, there is no bodily resurrection where the believers in Jesus go to Heaven and the non-believers go to hell." Why not until Baha'u'llah are these things made clear?

You might be surprised to see that, even Shia Imams had said that, Reviving Dead, is not literal dead, but it means spiritual guidance of the Qaim.

I quote directly from Muslim Sources:

“Know that Allah gives life to the earth after its death; indeed, We have made the communications clear to you that you may understand.” (Surah
Hadid 57:17) Imam Muhammad Baqir (a.s.) said: “Allah, the Exalted will revive it through the Qaim after its death; its death implies disbelief of its inhabitants, because the disbelievers are dead.”

Jabir has narrated from Imam Muhammad Baqir (a.s.) that he said with regard to the words of the Almighty Allah:
أَمْواتٌ غَيْرُ أَحْيَاء
“Dead (are they), not living…” (Surah Nahl 16:21)
It implies infidels and not believers.
وَمَا يَشْعُرُونَ أَيَّانَ يُبْعَثُونَ
“…and they know not when they shall be raised.” (Surah Nahl 16:21)
It implies that they will not bring faith, they will remain as polytheists.

Bihar-alanwar, Vol. 51-53

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
It is just a strict and distinct question of is it confrontational to say you do not like the color dress one is wearing and they should wear another color?

If it is confrontational, how so?

I think it's discourteous to criticise what a person wears. My mother always taught me to see and look at only the good in people not nitpick. We are also taught as Baha'is that 'courtesy is the Lord of all virtues' so we aim to be polite and courteous.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I think I will be out for good. Hitting one's head on a brick wall only hurts one's own head after awhile. Bottom line, is it's a very small faith with an aging demographic, and will most likely disappear in another 100 years like so many before it. Unless, of course it they really insult my dear Hinduism. Others can take up the battle for awhile.

If anything I respect Hinduism more, have become better acquainted with its literature and love it even more.

By the way where can I obtain an ebook of the complete Vedas?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think it's discourteous to criticise what a person wears. My mother always taught me to see and look at only the good in people not nitpick. We are also taught as Baha'is that 'courtesy is the Lord of all virtues' so we aim to be polite and courteous.

My question is how is saying that confrontational (discourteous, criticizing, nitpicking)?

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
My question is how is saying that confrontational (discourteous, criticizing, nitpicking)?

Why should I criticise what you choose to wear? And it would depend on how I say it too. It can be confrontational if put in any number of ways and also some are more sensitive than others.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think I will be out for good. Hitting one's head on a brick wall only hurts one's own head after awhile. Bottom line, is it's a very small faith with an aging demographic, and will most likely disappear in another 100 years like so many before it. Unless, of course it they really insult my dear Hinduism. Others can take up the battle for awhile.

Don't worry. I'll slide something about Hinduism in to annoy you enough to come back in. ;)

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
The way I phrased it, how is it confrontational, nit picking, or negative criticism?

Nothing you say could possibly be anything but nice and sweet.
I'm not talking about how you say things. I'm talking about how I am supposed to speak.

To me everything you say is honey sweet.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm not talking about how you say things. I'm talking about how I am supposed to speak.

To me everything you say is honey sweet.

The example I gave was how I would say it. So, what you're saying is a contradiction.

1. If someone asked me whether the color red looks well on her, I'd say "No. You do look nice in purple, though."

2. I asked you if this is confrontational. If so, how?

3. You tell me that you don't want to nit pick, critize, etc.

4. I ask again, how is this nit picking, criticizing, etc

5. You said "why would I criticize what you wear"? (I think you need to read the posts again and find the message)

6. I say it's the way I said it-it being the example. Can you answer the question.

7. Then you say "To me everything you say is honey sweet."

8. Again, when you said you didn't want to be confrontational when I gave you an example of what I considered non-confrontational, then asked you why it was, and now you're saying "I sound sweet" I honestly think you are not understanding what I'm saying, overlooking it (mistakenly), or for whatever reason not answering the question.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@loverofhumanity Please actively read this and take your time. It is alright if you do not want to answer a question(s) just please say so or refer to it so I know you got the message.

The long version

My example

Telling someone what you don't believe isn't confrontation. Do you express anything you don't believe even if it's to say to someone, "I don't like the color red on you, maybe wear color green"?​

I think that words are often misinterpreted and that we maybe understanding the same thing but expressing ourselves differently about it.

No. It is giving your opinion about the color of the dress. The first part says you don't care for the color. The last is suggesting to wear another color.

Nothing more.

As to the colour red or if someone wears a colour I'm not used to - why can't I just be like Seven of Nine and say 'I will adapt'???

Why would you adapt? How?

It's just saying what you don't like and responding to what you do like. Adapting as in changing your preference to match someone else's?

If that's the case, why be any religion or choose any color for that matter?

It is just a strict and distinct question of is it confrontational to say you do not like the color dress one is wearing and they should wear another color?

So, I repeat.

Why is it confrontational to tell someone you don't like this color on them and they should wear something else?

If it is confrontational, how so?

How is it discourteous to tell someone that the color red does not look good on them but the color green does?

In the English language, tone of voice is very important. Consider that please but keep the same words and same sentence.

Why should I criticise what you choose to wear? And it would depend on how I say it too. It can be confrontational if put in any number of ways and also some are more sensitive than others.

A. You have to reread the post since it isn't about me it's an example.

B. If how you said it was alright but you kept the same words exactly as above, would it be confrontational? If so, how?

The way I phrased it, how is it confrontational, nit picking, or negative criticism?

The way I phrased the example.

If the example was about myself (though it was not) and I said "what you are wearing does not look good on you. You should wear this."

Is that nice and sweet in general or are you just being nice because it's coming from me specifically?

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
@loverofhumanity Please actively read this and take your time. It is alright if you do not want to answer a question(s) just please say so or refer to it so I know you got the message.

The long version

My example

Telling someone what you don't believe isn't confrontation. Do you express anything you don't believe even if it's to say to someone, "I don't like the color red on you, maybe wear color green"?​

No. It is giving your opinion about the color of the dress. The first part says you don't care for the color. The last is suggesting to wear another color.

Nothing more.

It's just saying what you don't like and responding to what you do like. Adapting as in changing your preference to match someone else's?

So, I repeat.

Why is it confrontational to tell someone you don't like this color on them and they should wear something else?

How is it discourteous to tell someone that the color red does not look good on them but the color green does?

In the English language, tone of voice is very important. Consider that please but keep the same words and same sentence.

B. If how you said it was alright but you kept the same words exactly as above, would it be confrontational? If so, how?

If the example was about myself (though it was not) and I said "what you are wearing does not look good on you. You should wear this."

Is that nice and sweet in general or are you just being nice because it's coming from me specifically?

It depends who you're talking to and how you say it.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member

The long version

My example

Nothing more.

So, I repeat.

Baha'is standards are very, very different. We even must exhibit the utmost ahimsa in our words which is quite difficult but we all try very hard to be as courteous as possible.

Beware lest ye harm any soul, or make any heart to sorrow; lest ye wound any man with your words, be he known to you or a stranger, be he friend or foe.”

‘Abdu’l-Bahá says in a letter to the Bahá’ís of America:—

Beware! Beware! Lest ye offend any heart!
Beware! Beware! Lest ye hurt any soul!
Beware! Beware! Lest ye deal unkindly toward any person!
Beware! Beware! Lest ye be the cause of hopelessness to any creature!

Should one become the cause of grief to any one heart, or of despondency to any one soul, it were better to hide oneself in the lowest depths of the earth than to walk upon the earth.

TransmutingSoul

One Planet, One People, Please!
Premium Member

The comments as quoted above which was in response to Carlita, remind me of a great and relevant story told by Abdul'Baha's Sister, it is work considering this story;

Abdul'baha (Then about the age of 12 to 13), said that Baha'u'llah's absence to the mountainous wilderness of Kurdistan had covered a little more than two years. After Baha'u'llah returned, the fame which he had acquired in the mountains reached Baghdad, and not only the Bábís but many others came to hear his teachings; and many, also, merely out of curiosity to see him. This caused great difficulty for Baha'u'llah and Abdul'baha said that he would protect his father from such intrusion.

Accordingly he prepared two placards, one for the door of his own room, which read, ‘Those who come for information may apply within; those who come only because of curiosity had better stay away‘; the other for the door of his father’s room, of which the purport was, ‘Let those who are searching for God come, and come, and come.’ Then he announced that he himself would first see those who came. If he found that they were genuine truth-seekers he admitted them to his father’s presence; otherwise he did not permit them to see him. (Myron Henry Phelps and Bahiyyih Khanum, Life and Teachings of Abbas Effendi, p. 24-25).

This never changes, even if Abdul'baha is not physically here to sort out those with searching hearts. The remainder do not get to see Baha'u'llah.

You see what you see, as your are here for a battle and not to search for Truth.

Consider there is no point to us discussing Faith in that Light as Baha'u'llah has said;

"...In brief, O ye believers of God! The text of the Divine Book is this: If two souls quarrel and contend about a question of the Divine questions, differing and disputing, both are wrong. The wisdom of this incontrovertible law of God is this: That between two souls from amongst the believers of God, no contention and dispute might arise; that they may speak with each other with infinite amity and love. Should there appear the least trace of controversy, they must remain silent, and both parties must continue their discussions no longer, but ask the reality of the question from the Interpreter. This is the irrefutable command!.." Bahá'í Reference Library - Bahá’í World Faith—Selected Writings of Bahá’u’lláh and ‘Abdu’l-Bahá (‘Abdu’l-Bahá’s Section Only), Pages 423-429

May you always be well and happy, I now choose silence :) Regards Tony

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It depends who you're talking to and how you say it.

Would you say the words itself? just as if you said "I believe your religion is false compared to my own?"

(This is what I mean by dodging the question; I asked if you would say the words. I know the English language depends on tone of voice. That's not my point)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Baha'is standards are very, very different. We even must exhibit the utmost ahimsa in our words which is quite difficult but we all try very hard to be as courteous as possible.

You didn't answer the question, though.

Why is it not courteous for someone to say "I don't like this color on you. You should wear this"?

It is a very simple question.

-
Your quotes from Bahaullah does not help because I don't feel it's a confrontational statement. So, I don't know what Bahaullah is saying other than be polite.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Would you say the words itself? just as if you said "I believe your religion is false compared to my own?"

(This is what I mean by dodging the question; I asked if you would say the words. I know the English language depends on tone of voice. That's not my point)

No I would never say that.

Also, I believe there is truth in all religions.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
You didn't answer the question, though.

Why is it not courteous for someone to say "I don't like this color on you. You should wear this"?

It is a very simple question.

-
Your quotes from Bahaullah does not help because I don't feel it's a confrontational statement. So, I don't know what Bahaullah is saying other than be polite.

It depends on who you're saying it to. I explained that. It can be a perfectly courteous statement if the person you're saying it to doesn't mind.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It depends on who you're saying it to. I explained that. It can be a perfectly courteous statement if the person you're saying it to doesn't mind.

Why wouldn't you say then if it could be a perfectly courteous statement?

Even the statement, "I don't like you" can be courteous. It's hard to find truth in all religions when not all religions believe in the kindness that you've and Bahaullah described in this entire thread.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Why wouldn't you say then if it could be a perfectly courteous statement?

Even the statement, "I don't like you" can be courteous. It's hard to find truth in all religions when not all religions believe in the kindness that you've and Bahaullah described in this entire thread.

It's courteous for you to speak like that but for me as a Baha'i it would be discourteous by our standards.