• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can Christianity and Judaism both exist?

nnmartin

:confused:I am confused.

Christianity claims that Christ was the Son of God and that this is the only true path to follow.

Judaism does not recognise Jesus as being the Son yet the Jews are the chosen people.

Both religions share the same God - therefore one religion must be wrong, right?

This is like some kind of religious paradox.

Flankerl

Judaism has nothing to do with christianity. You could have also asked how judaism and hinduism coexist.
Again two different religions that have nothing to do with eachother.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
A paradox is self-contradictory. There is nothing self-cotradictory about two entities holding counterposed positions. The OP is simply vapid.

nnmartin

Judaism has nothing to do with christianity. You could have also asked how judaism and hinduism coexist.
Again two different religions that have nothing to do with eachother.

I thought they shared the same God and also the Old Testament.

Also the Christians commonly refer to the OT. Much more similar than Hinduism.

Why do we have the term Abrahamic religions then?

A paradox is self-contradictory. There is nothing self-cotradictory about two entities holding counterposed positions. The OP is simply vapid.

I see little point in having a debate over the English language.

However, it could be a paradox depending on how you look at it.

Last edited:

Villager

Not the same God, in practice. But exactly the same inheritance. It's just that they make different things of it. But that difference is part of the inheritance.

It's true, they cannot both be right.

Politeness? Though I suspect it's to give a leg up to Islam, which actually has no genuine claim of link to Abraham of any sort. And maybe to try to confuse people into thinking that Christianity is legalistic, needing to observe Mosaic commandments, a very common distortion in the USA.

Tamar

I am Jewish.

Also the Christians commonly refer to the OT. Much more similar than Hinduism.

I see little point in having a debate over the English language.

However, it could be a paradox depending on how you look at it.

Muslims worship the same G-d too.....

Christians took the Hebrew Scripture and added the New Testament and got their Christian Bible.....

Actually it is not a paradox if you ask, first there was Judaism and Jesus came along and was Jewish. He had a following who after his death believed he was a messiah. Then Christianity became a new religion.

Villager

That's news to me - I thought the Biblical God was the same for both religions - how is it different?
One deity came as a man to die for sins, one didn't, can't.

another question: could it be possible for a Christian to be welcomed in a synagogue
No, even though Jesus started his ministry in one. "You will be thrown out of the synagogues." Synagogues are rightly Christian, arguably.

or a Jew in a Christian church for example?
Not as a member, no.

There has to be distinct conversion, major change of mind, either way. East is east, and west is west, and never the twain shall meet, as Kipling nearly said.