• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can someone be a male and be a feminist at the same time?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Yes, men can be feminists.

Also, people who are not gay can stand for equal rights, and people who are not raised to be food can devote themselves for humane treatment of those animals. :) :)

Me Myself

Back to my username
No, I believe feminism (being females) deals specifically with women rights. It doesn't have anything to do with males or what they believe.

Loooooooooooool you think women rights have nothg to do with men or what they believe? Seriously?

You say you are pro equality. A lot of feminist would say by that tokethat ou are feminist ( I am not saying yu are or that yu a not by the way) . The thing of a guy labeling himself feminist is that it shows that he believes in the movement and its capacity to deliver what it says it wants that is equality.

I personaly want equality, but wouldnt use the label feminist anymore than I would use the label masculist (term that exists, and as feminism, it has its radical branches)

But in any cas, simply bearing such label toe means that . A male feminist basicaly says he supports equallity AND believes feminism to be the solution or part of e solution to that. Theoretically, you could be both masculist and feminist and believe both are necesary or just be pro equality and believe both feminism and masculism are problematic, as to seeing them "one sided"

Wherenextcolumbus

Yes I think you can be male and feminist, but that also means recognising your own privilege and how it effects women, and unlearning sexism and that is not as easy as it sounds. It takes a lot of self analysis and criticism.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
I've always sort of considered 'feminism' to be a bit of a misnomer, but then again I didn't live when the movement began and the title made a lot more sense. I don't really think it's that important what its called, though. The idea is equality and freedom. And that I can get behind regardless of the title. Call yourself a masculinist if it really bugs you, as long as you promote and defend the rights of women you're still the same as a feminist even if you don't want to be called one.

And despite how much I abhor Rush Limbaugh I do use the term fem-nazi to refer to the horrible brand of man-hating 'feminism' that is out there. That would be a very strange thing for a man to be, though I can't say its impossible. Self-loathing certainly isn't anything new to humanity.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I've always sort of considered 'feminism' to be a bit of a misnomer, but then again I didn't live when the movement began and the title made a lot more sense. I don't really think it's that important what its called, though. The idea is equality and freedom. And that I can get behind regardless of the title. Call yourself a masculinist if it really bugs you, as long as you promote and defend the rights of women you're still the same as a feminist even if you don't want to be called one.

And despite how much I abhor Rush Limbaugh I do use the term fem-nazi to refer to the horrible brand of man-hating 'feminism' that is out there. That would be a very strange thing for a man to be, though I can't say its impossible. Self-loathing certainly isn't anything new to humanity.

Misandry is not a subset of feminism, IMO. I can see it as existing under matriarchal institutions, much like misogyny is a typical mindset under patriarchal culture.

Feminists who hate men are an extreme fringe minority, about as fringe as black supremacists that lecture on street corners quoting parts of the Bible saying that the white race must submit to the "real" descendants of the 12 tribes of Israel, who are black.

Sure, they're out there, and they're loud and weird, but the numbers are small and their influence is laughable.

uberrobonomicon4000

I’m for equality or equal rights and freedom, but I would not label myself as either a masculist or a feminist. I tend to stay away from labels because they seem tacky.

uberrobonomicon4000

Misandry is not a subset of feminism, IMO. I can see it as existing under matriarchal institutions, much like misogyny is a typical mindset under patriarchal culture.

Feminists who hate men are an extreme fringe minority, about as fringe as black supremacists that lecture on street corners quoting parts of the Bible saying that the white race must submit to the "real" descendants of the 12 tribes of Israel, who are black.

Sure, they're out there, and they're loud and weird, but the numbers are small and their influence is laughable.
So not all feminist hate men? I usually view feminist as being that way.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
So not all feminist hate men? I usually view feminist as being that way.

You need to get out more.

A male is an organism. Feminism is a movement. Since they are different categories and not mutually exclusive obviously a male can ascribe to feminism. Only someone who did not understand the meaning of the two words could not think so.

uberrobonomicon4000

Wherenextcolumbus

I'm not saying all feminist hate men, but it seems like there are feminist who certainly do and are STRONG advocates of feminism.

http://www.womenagainstmen.com/media/feminism-is-a-hate-group.html

Also, I just went to the store this morning and they are selling beer koozies with a bunch of random quotes likes "All men are stupid" with other similar quotes.

I suggest you actually read the books or at least the chapter these quotes were taken from and some research in the background of these women. I can tell you that the Dworkin one is taken out of context and you have to read the chapter that its taken from to know what man she is actually talking about.
And Valerie solanas was a paranoid schizophrenic.

Alceste

Vagabond
Most men I've encountered who complain about feminists hating men, are the type of men who generally deserve to be hated by feminists.

I never hate people just for being ignorant. I grew up in a conservative province and used to think feminists were man-haters myself. All it took was moving to a city with some real live feminists in it to correct my misconceptions.

Room-mate: "you've got to check out the feminist bookstore"
Me: "Naw, I'm not a feminist. They're too extreme."
Room-mate: "Oh you poor little Albertan idiot. If you're a woman, and you think that's probably a good thing, then you're a feminist".

It was a pretty good book store as it turned out. :D

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm not saying all feminist hate men, but it seems like there are feminist who certainly do and are STRONG advocates of feminism.

Feminism Is a Hate Group

Also, I just went to the store this morning and they are selling beer koozies with a bunch of random quotes likes "All men are stupid" with other similar quotes.

That's not a feminist website you linked to. It's an anti-feminist website.

I'll ask again, can you give me an example of a notable feminist who hates men?