• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can someone be a male and be a feminist at the same time?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
For one, I acknowledge women as having equal rights, prochoice, and whatever else it is that women feel they are being neglected of, but how can a male or guy consider themselves to be a feminist when feminism is explicitly dealing with women and women’s rights?

I don’t see how a man, male, guy, etc. can be considered a feminist when it deals specifically with women and the choices they make; as in a guy claiming to be a feminist. What would a feminist male (as hyperbolic as that may seem) have to do with women rights?
Sheesh. :rolleyes: Feminism is the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes. A "feminist" is some one who ascribes to said theory. There is no gender distinction.

Now go and find something more meaningful in life than silly questions ;).

uberrobonomicon4000

Sheesh. :rolleyes: Feminism is the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes. A "feminist" is some one who ascribes to said theory. There is no gender distinction.

Now go and find something more meaningful in life than silly questions ;).
Thank you Sandy! And I think I will. :)

Feminism deals specifically with women's rights and equality. It is a womens movement.

A male can be a supporter, sure, but not a feminist. I don't think the word should be changed or the meaning of the word should be changed to fit someones political motives or own self-interests to be politically correct just to make everyone happy (specially guys who want to be feminist).

Alceste

Vagabond
Just do a google search its not hard.

5 Reasons Why So Many People Believe Feminism Hates Men and Why They're Not True ? Everyday Feminism

Even this site on feminism acknowledges this.

What does it acknowledge? Are you presenting this article written by a male feminist, which very persuasively argues that feminism isn't about hating men, to support your point that men can't be feminists and feminists are man-haters?

That's a strange choice!

Did you read that article? What did you think of the points he made?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Feminism deals specifically with women's rights and equality. It is a womens movement.

A male can be a supporter, sure, but not a feminist. I don't think the word should be changed or the meaning of the word should be changed to fit someones political motives or own self-interests to be politically correct just to make everyone happy (specially guys who want to be feminist).
Obviously the meaning of words is meaningless to you. I think I'll go find something more meaningful to do.

Alceste

Vagabond
Thank you Sandy! And I think I will. :)

Why does the fact that feminism deals specifically with women's issues make it a women's movement? Who did more to advance the liberties of black people inn America: Abraham Lincoln, the all white US government and the mostly white US army or the slaves in the confederate states?

Alceste

Vagabond
Its not meaningless. It does actually mean something to me, but not the same way it does to other people who have completely distorted the meaning of the word with their interpretation of it.

I'm afraid that's impossible. It's the nature of language. Words are defined by a shared sense of meaning. If everybody but you has a different definition than you do, it is necessarily your definition that is distorted.

uberrobonomicon4000

Why does the fact that feminism deals specifically with women's issues make it a women's movement? Who did more to advance the liberties of black people inn America: Abraham Lincoln, the all white US government and the mostly white US army or the slaves in the confederate states?
Because it is. :areyoucra

The Civil War wasn't fought over slavery. That is a big myth.

Black people did a lot more than the US government did. The government just passed some legislation and sign some papers.

uberrobonomicon4000

I'm afraid that's impossible. It's the nature of language. Words are defined by a shared sense of meaning. If everybody but you has a different definition than you do, it is necessarily your definition that is distorted.
If you disagree with everything I have said about feminism then provide some actual links on feminism instead of asking me for them.

Please, I would like for you educate me.

Alceste

Vagabond

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

On behalf of women everywhere, I officially welcome men to deal specifically with women's rights and equality.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
So not all feminist hate men? I usually view feminist as being that way.

Hoo-boy...here we go again.

*offers handshake* Howdy! Nice to meet you! People around these parts know me as Mystic, and I've been a feminist since I helped my mother stuff envelopes to mail out in support of the Equal Rights Amendment back in the 1970's. Oh, and I don't hate men. I have a husband and three teenaged and grown sons who I love dearly and want what is best for them as much as I want for my teenaged daughter. My mother doesn't hate men. None of my feminist friends hate men. One of my best friends who holds a PhD in feminist literature and writes, debates, and lectures frequently around the country doesn't hate men.

In fact, NONE of the feminists I've known hate men. And none of the feminist writers I've ever read hate men.

Now....what were we talking about?....Oh yeah, men can be feminists. Now who wants to join me for a drink? :drunk:

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Its not meaningless. It does actually mean something to me, but not the same way it does to other people who have completely distorted the meaning of the word with their interpretation of it.

Why do you assume that it's everyone else who has distorted the meaning and not you? Especially when all dictionary definitions disagree with you. Or have you come across a dictionary definition that defines feminist as being specifically female or that a male can't be feminist?

This is so ludricous I actually suspect this thread was started as a POE.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Misandry is not a subset of feminism, IMO. I can see it as existing under matriarchal institutions, much like misogyny is a typical mindset under patriarchal culture.

Feminists who hate men are an extreme fringe minority, about as fringe as black supremacists that lecture on street corners quoting parts of the Bible saying that the white race must submit to the "real" descendants of the 12 tribes of Israel, who are black.

Sure, they're out there, and they're loud and weird, but the numbers are small and their influence is laughable.

Wholeheartedly agree. Anti-man bigots are not very common. I can't say I've met more than a handful compared to hundreds of actual feminists with progress and equality on their mind.