• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can someone be a male and be a feminist at the same time?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Anyone also ever notice that these "feminists" threads actually end up being nothing about the topic introduced in the OP after a few pages, because the threads aren't really so much about the topics introduced, but rather, the OP's blatant to desire to predeterminately bash feminism regardless of the already noted refusal to actually interact with any feminist text and any possible discussion or debate that may incur.

No, you are not helping the movement with this waffle. Nearly all the threads covering this subject have been opened by feminists. I remember some of their names, and I remember that you posted in them, so you know that you are wrong.

This member is going to be a tough nut to crack, because he has shown previously that he believes that all people are equal and should enjoy equal social, political, and economic rights and opportunities, regardless of sex, gender, marital status, disability, age, colour, nationality, creed or religion.

That makes him an Egalitarian, if you like. Tell you what, you bash on at him over the feminist bit, and I'll come in from the side about him also declaring himself as a deafist, because I've no doubt that he supports equality for deaf people.

We will win in the end.............

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
No, you are not helping the movement with this waffle. Nearly all the threads covering this subject have been opened by feminists. I remember some of their names, and I remember that you posted in them, so you know that you are wrong.

This member is going to be a tough nut to crack, because he has shown previously that he believes that all people are equal and should enjoy equal social, political, and economic rights and opportunities, regardless of sex, gender, marital status, disability, age, colour, nationality, creed or religion.

That makes him an Egalitarian, if you like. Tell you what, you bash on at him over the feminist bit, and I'll come in from the side about him also declaring himself as a deafist, because I've no doubt that he supports equality for deaf people.

...I don't understand. Win what? Egalitarianism == Feminism. The goals are one and the same. A victory for you would be a victory for feminism.

dust1n

Zindīq
No, you are not helping the movement with this waffle. Nearly all the threads covering this subject have been opened by feminists.

Hey guy that's been here for 8 months. I've been for 6 years. Nearly no thread about feminism was started by a feminism on RF. I honestly can't remember one. But I can bring up all the feminism threads that bash feminism by people who admittedly have never read anything about it. Again this is common knowledge by know, for multiple members.

I remember some of their names, and I remember that you posted in them, so you know that you are wrong.

Name 'em. And of course I've posted in them. I have, at this very moment, obviously posted in them, I didn't say I didn't. In fact, at least 500 of our my near 12000 posts have been to this ONE topic.

He has also shown a complete unwilling and disinterest in engaging in feminism and any of it's topics! I don't care if someone doesn't want to be called feminist. It couldn't phase me less. But this thread was started to tell dudes they couldn't be feminists, it wasn't possible, that only women can be.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Hey guy that's been here for 8 months. I've been for 6 years. Nearly no thread about feminism was started by a feminism on RF. I honestly can't remember one. But I can bring up all the feminism threads that bash feminism by people who admittedly have never read anything about it. Again this is common knowledge by know, for multiple members.

To be fair, I started one this year.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/general-debates/143568-feminism-2013-a.html

I have also brought up other topics for discussion in separate threads that are related to feminist issues, but my purpose was not to make those other threads about feminism specifically, but the issues at hand. Perhaps that is where the misunderstanding lies too.

Name 'em. And of course I've posted in them. I have, at this very moment, obviously posted in them, I didn't say I didn't. In fact, at least 500 of our my near 12000 posts have been to this ONE topic.

And it always gives me hope for future generations when I see you posting in ways that show you actually truly understand the relevance and importance of feminism today.

He has also shown a complete unwilling and disinterest in engaging in feminism and any of it's topics! I don't care if someone doesn't want to be called feminist. It couldn't phase me less. But this thread was started to tell dudes they couldn't be feminists, it wasn't possible, that only women can be.

And thereby attempts to bar men from engaging in causes they find important to them, too, since it addresses society as a whole....of which men are an equally important part. :yes:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Hi......
Yep.....8 months, and I remember some, and I remember the OPs, by people like MW. And 2 threads over Iowan unfairness..... I remember who started one, but the other I forget. And the ruckus that built over the iranian women beating up the minister! I remember who started that! But I don't remember any started by egalitarians who need convincing that they should swap titles.

However, take you, 500 posts over 6 years, and just think about how many really good arguments you've learned in that time. All you need to do now is focus them upon the OP....... let's see you dance. Go on...... get those moves on......:yes:

Err? Topics? What topics? No no..... the OP has clearly shown that he is an egalitarian. One example...... He approved of my equality-idea for how couples can marry and start out in life together with the same surname. :yes:

The OP's cool......... you just have to convince him to switch titles. Easy for you. Don't do the 'My Pony' thing....! It's not on freeview here so we can't follow that. I'm more worried about whether he will admit to being a deafist.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
...I don't understand. Win what? Egalitarianism == Feminism. The goals are one and the same. A victory for you would be a victory for feminism.

Super! I need to win something soon!

Today I did actually find a feminist in darkest Kent. I cleaned her sofas for her.
Anyway, over tea, I asked this woman the usual questions (as previously shown on this thread) and she explained that she is a feminist and that most of her 'midwife' colleagues are feminists as well, all based at a Kent major hospital's birthing unit.

However, she told me that her particular group would find the presence of a 'feminist male' to be 'unusual' and probably 'uncomfortable' for them. She also used the word 'inappropriate'. I got on well with her, and she smiled a lot about the concept, but at least she didn't fall about and screech a lot like the scores and scores of other women I have spoken to.

Anyway...... your post looks like feminism is the same as egalitarianism, the same as feminism. Have I got that about right?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Kind of a strange statement. It's like saying Britain recognizes equality while shunning anyone who is in favor of equality...

But I understand that feminism has a different connotation there.

I missed this post......

Your first sentence don't make sense.
Your second sentence makes lots of sense. Folks here don't react to the word feminism, but feel strongly about equality, so they obviously see it differently to blokes like you.

dust1n

Zindīq
Hi......
Yep.....8 months, and I remember some, and I remember the OPs, by people like MW. And 2 threads over Iowan unfairness..... I remember who started one, but the other I forget. And the ruckus that built over the iranian women beating up the minister! I remember who started that! But I don't remember any started by egalitarians who need convincing that they should swap titles.

However, take you, 500 posts over 6 years, and just think about how many really good arguments you've learned in that time. All you need to do now is focus them upon the OP....... let's see you dance. Go on...... get those moves on......:yes:
And I remember older ones from older members, where for 700 pages we follow the same line of thinking.

It's okay. The safe bet is to go to google and type in "feminists hate men" and go to the first link and copy down those quotes and just assume they are right. The people who take time to actually investigate claims are full of delusions and distortions. If only they were like me and used google, I mean critical thinking, to blindly accept whatever view on the internet happens to be out there.

I don’t have to do a Google search. I can turn on the TV and listen to people spew their crap about men all day long.

I can go to the local store and see retarded phrases like “All men are stupid” with other similar idiotic phrases.

I can watch people on this forum make excuses for feminism then have guys tell me and others they claim to be die-hard feminist. To the point, that you will believe if you aren’t a feminist you are against women and everything against women is anti-feminism. What a joke.

Sorry bro, you are not a feminist! You’ve just been duped.

But you can continue to believe you are a feminist. That is fine by me. It doesn’t hurt my feelings.

This thread isn't about convincing anyone that they should take the title of feminism. This thread was originally about how the OP didn't think it possible for a male to be feminist, and explicitly stated I'm the opposite of what I say I am.

And yet we are the ones forcing the title on him? :rolleyes:

Err? Topics? What topics? No no..... the OP has clearly shown that he is an egalitarian. One example...... He approved of my equality-idea for how couples can marry and start out in life together with the same surname. :yes:

The OP's cool......... you just have to convince him to switch titles. Easy for you. Don't do the 'My Pony' thing....! It's not on freeview here so we can't follow that. I'm more worried about whether he will admit to being a deafist.
Any topic. Shall I got list all the occasions where points/questions/arguments are either explicitly ignored, or responded to, but irrelevantly so? There is no means by which a debate occurs in these threads. There is no logic. So convincing anyone of anything when it's already rather obvious the whole purpose to this thread has already been to defend a predetermined position, and explicitly bad one, that men can not be feminists.

Btw, someone who supports the rights of disabled people (something that still occurs well in the 2000's and remains incredibly necessary and important) is know as an ableist. EDIT: WHOOPs! Let me correct myself here. I realized you meant deafist by someone who supports their rights, but then for some reason I started answering as if it meant discriminating against deaf people.... and I weirdly said the weirdest thing! I mean to say: someone who discriminates against disabled people (something that still occurs well in the 2000's and remains incredibly necessary and important) is known as an ableist. There is no word I know of that means someone who supports disability rights. I'm sure there is one somewhere though, maybe not.

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
I missed this post......

Your second sentence makes lots of sense. Folks here don't react to the word feminism, but feel strongly about equality, so they obviously see it differently to blokes like you.

Of course you are going to have all sorts of different perspectives of feminism, especially from people who have never read or studied feminism and have no problem admitting this, and that they never will, yet they have no problem dismissing for several hundred posts ideas of feminism that admittedly aren't even familiar with.

Like I said, this thread and others like it are much like writing a dissertation on existentialism even though one hasn't read any Sartre, or Husserl, or anyone who might have influenced the line of thinking heavily.

dust1n

Zindīq
To be fair, I started one this year.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/general-debates/143568-feminism-2013-a.html

I have also brought up other topics for discussion in separate threads that are related to feminist issues, but my purpose was not to make those other threads about feminism specifically, but the issues at hand. Perhaps that is where the misunderstanding lies too.

Oh yeah, I remember that one. Not surprising to see a feminist thread started by a feminist only end up with less than twenty posts. Compared to:

(Cont.)

dust1n

Zindīq
How can someone be a male and be a feminist at the same time? ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
uberrobonomicon4000
Today 12:55 PM
by dust1n
368 3,960

"Patriarchy" ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
rating_1.gif
Me Myself
04-06-2013 01:12 AM
by dust1n
834 8,919

Difference in wages between men and women's jobs (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Me Myself
03-06-2013 11:43 AM
by MysticSang'ha
96 1,121
^---- This is just yet another reemergence of something we are already familiar with it...

Is Chivalry dead or is this disingenuous feminism? (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Mr. Skittles
08-05-2012 08:47 PM
by InformedIgnorance
72 940
(I don't think Mr. Skittles is anti-feminist, but if you want to see eerily similar arguments draw from out-of-context, or unprofessional Youtube videos or unrecognized by feminism in general, you can find it here, too.

Sexism....Oh yes I'm mad bro ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Mr. Skittles
07-31-2012 11:35 AM
by Mr. Skittles
221 2,875

dust1n

Zindīq
does anyone really care about the exploited women anyway? ( 1 2 3)
nnmartin
07-11-2012 02:40 PM
by Sunstone
24 320 (Granted: banned)

Should women be allowed to vote? ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
nnmartin
05-30-2012 09:38 PM
by A Troubled Man
127 1,756
And of course,

Why Is Being a Sex Object A Bad Thing? ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Ruadri Canmore
07-04-2012 01:05 AM
by Riverwolf
433 5,268

This Woman Describes Herself As An "Anti-Feminist", Is She Making Any Sense? ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Ruadri Canmore
07-02-2012 08:12 PM
by Darkness
271 3,658

I am a good man, so why don't I have a girlfriend? Do I need to be a jerk instead? ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Ruadri Canmore
06-21-2012 05:50 PM
by MysticSang'ha
570 7,753

Why Is Being a Sexual Focus A Bad Thing? ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Ruadri Canmore 06-19-2012 07:49 PM
by Me Myself
31 49

dust1n

Zindīq
And thereby attempts to bar men from engaging in causes they find important to them, too, since it addresses society as a whole....of which men are an equally important part. :yes:
Exactly, it's near insulting, just blatantly refusing to acknowledge someone's identity. It would be like if I kept insisting you were not American or dumb ****, or that women can't be Muslims, or that handicapped people can't be patriots, just because I feel that's the way it should be for no particular reason.

dust1n

Zindīq
However, she told me that her particular group would find the presence of a 'feminist male' to be 'unusual' and probably 'uncomfortable' for them. She also used the word 'inappropriate'. I got on well with her, and she smiled a lot about the concept, but at least she didn't fall about and screech a lot like the scores and scores of other women I have spoken to.

That's strange. It would difficult to explain how bands like Crass, which were co-ed, openly wrote pro-feminism music/albums in the 70's/80's, and were from Britian...

I guess that's a past UK is interested in repressing.

[youtube]fHavNGGSIE8[/youtube]
Steve Ignorant (Crass) / Berkertex Bribe - YouTube

Wherenextcolumbus

That's strange. It would difficult to explain how bands like Crass, which were co-ed, openly wrote pro-feminism music/albums in the 70's/80's, and were from Britian...

I guess that's a past UK is interested in repressing.

[youtube]fHavNGGSIE8[/youtube]
Steve Ignorant (Crass) / Berkertex Bribe - YouTube

Yay! Love crass! One of my favourite feminist songs "I know there is love"

Last edited by a moderator:

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Super! I need to win something soon!

Today I did actually find a feminist in darkest Kent. I cleaned her sofas for her.
Anyway, over tea, I asked this woman the usual questions (as previously shown on this thread) and she explained that she is a feminist and that most of her 'midwife' colleagues are feminists as well, all based at a Kent major hospital's birthing unit.

Well, as I said, the situation in the UK is likely very different than here in the States.

Anyway...... your post looks like feminism is the same as egalitarianism, the same as feminism. Have I got that about right?
They are effectively the same thing. There's only one difference: egalitarianism goes beyond gender inequality and addresses other issues.

IOW, egalitarianism is an umbrella term, and I think all of us are egalitarian. Feminism is a form of egalitarianism, focusing primarily on issues of gender inequality.

Excuse me for not being 100% clear last night; it was quite late at night.

However, there's something that really needs to be clear: feminism doesn't have any cut-and-dry rules or sets of values beyond supporting gender equality. There are variations on how extreme that's to be taken, what constitutes gender inequality, etc.

To take more examples from video games, there are feminists who have real problems with games like Dead or Alive, whose only major contribution to the world was its pioneering work on breast jiggle physics(which pretty much violate every single actual law of physics... I, as a heterosexual male, honestly find it gross), and its beach vollyball spin-offs that are pretty much nothing but girls in super-tiny bikinis doing homoerotic things and pole-dances. But I don't have a problem with those games exactly because they are softcore porn; they're not meant to be taken seriously. But I do have a problem with all the cleavage-exposed super-horny women in the Witcher games, since that's a series where I am supposed to take the story and characters seriously; it's kinda hard to do that when women are throwing themselves at me every which way for doing relatively minor favors, even after they had previously told me that they were "decent" women.

So there are always going to be differences in opinions.

I missed this post......

I know my first sentence doesn't make sense, but it's how I interpreted yours.

We generally feel just as strongly about equality.

One thing is absolutely clear: we have the same goals (and, to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Britain is closer to full egalitarian society than we are.)

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
This thread isn't about convincing anyone that they should take the title of feminism. This thread was originally about how the OP didn't think it possible for a male to be feminist, and explicitly stated I'm the opposite of what I say I am.
Well.......you know, you might have annoyed him with your style of approach..... maybe, possibly? Who knows?

And yet we are the ones forcing the title on him? :rolleyes:
No! Oh dear! No! Forcing? What a stupid word...... How can you force people to a decision? How long you been doing this?

So convincing anyone of anything when it's already rather obvious the whole purpose to this thread has already been to defend a predetermined position, and explicitly bad one, that men can not be feminists.
Do you have a predetermined position? Can your mind be changed? I just don't think you can win anything with this approach and mindset.

Forgive me for cancelling the rest of it.......

dust1n

Zindīq
Well.......you know, you might have annoyed him with your style of approach..... maybe, possibly? Who knows?

What's my style of approach?

No! Oh dear! No! Forcing? What a stupid word...... How can you force people to a decision? How long you been doing this?

It's an expression, like, "Stop trying to force your beliefs on me." Sorry if my colloquial background produces phrases you find stupid. Not that this isn't already, yet another, moving of goal posts.

Like you originally said, "But I don't remember any started by egalitarians who need convincing that they should swap titles." That's not what this thread is about. This thread is specifically to criticize feminism or people who support it on insanely trivial bases: aka, trolling.

Do you have a predetermined position? Can your mind be changed? I just don't think you can win anything with this approach and mindset.

Forgive me for cancelling the rest of it.......

Position on what? Whether someone can be male and feminist at the same time? Yes, it was predetermined by dictionaries. And no worries, I'm use to people casually brushing aside point after point when they are busy respond with non sequitur and such.

uberrobonomicon4000

So let me get this right Dust1n. You are going to discriminate against my thread and call it trolling, and then claim to be a feminist who stands for equality and equal rights. You do realize this is a general debate forum right? That is why I posted it here.

Does feminism only deal with gender or does it focus on other issues beyond gender like sexual orientation, and sexual preference? Because there seems to be a massive cult following for people who think they deserve to be treated better when in reality they have the same amount of privileges everyone else has. Women can handle their own issues and men can handle theirs. As in women can debate other women on topics that concern them just like men can. If there is to be some common ground between two subjects based on equality, then men shouldn’t interfere with the progress of women and women shouldn’t interfere with the progress of men.

Feminism loses all credibility soon as someone brings up issues besides equal rights. Because it gets into issues with how people should act and treat one another (men and women), in public, that they should have learned in first grade, on the playground or in their backyard. That is just the sad reality of it and to think some adults want to act like children disgusts me.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
So let me get this right Dust1n. You are going to discriminate against my thread and call it trolling, and then claim to be a feminist who stands for equality and equal rights. You do realize this is a general debate forum right? That is why I posted it here.

Does feminism only deal with gender or does it focus on other issues beyond gender like sexual orientation, and sexual preference? Because there seems to be a massive cult following for people who think they deserve to be treated better when in reality they have the same amount of privileges everyone else has. Women can handle their own issues and men can handle theirs. As in women can debate other women on topics that concern them just like men can. If there is to be some common ground between two subjects based on equality, then men shouldn’t interfere with the progress of women and women shouldn’t interfere with the progress of men.

That's what I as a male feminist am against: men and women should be able to discuss their respective issues together. There's no reason why they should keep to themselves.