• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can you be a True Christian™ if you don't take the Eden story literally?

Ebionite

That does not help you. Do I have to give the posts in order. You really are not worth the bother. You were told to be polite before you asked for sources.

Here is a link to the post where you quoted me warning you. Read your quote of me. It tells you that you have to be polite:

Whatever, *Staff Edit*

Last edited by a moderator:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Whatever, liar.
Just because you are wrong is no excuse to call someone a liar. The post where I told you that you had to be polite is still there. It has not been edited. If I had edited it the site notes it. You only have a few minutes before the site notes that a post was edited.

Also it is a clear violation of the rules here to call someone a liar. You have made quite a few false claims about me, but I have not called you a liar. As someone that a claims to be a Christian you should know better.

Ebionite

Just because you are wrong is no excuse to call someone a liar. The post where I told you that you had to be polite is still there. It has not been edited. If I had edited it the site notes it. You only have a few minutes before the site notes that a post was edited.

Also it is a clear violation of the rules here to call someone a liar. You have made quite a few false claims about me, but I have not called you a liar. As someone that a claims to be a Christian you should know better.
I'm not wrong, *Staff Edit* and I've never claimed to be a Christian.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Your user name is Ebionite. They were Jews that followed Jesus but did not believe in magical Jesus. They are still nominally called "Christians". And you cannot name on lie of mine. Do you even know what a lie is? Meanwhile I can point out that you have broken the Ninth Commandment multiple times. That is not the same as lying.

Ebionite

Your user name is Ebionite. They were Jews that followed Jesus but did not believe in magical Jesus. They are still nominally called "Christians". And you cannot name on lie of mine. Do you even know what a lie is? Meanwhile I can point out that you have broken the Ninth Commandment multiple times. That is not the same as lying.
More deflection. You said that I claimed to be a Christian, which is not true.

I've documented one of your previous *Staff Edit* here:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
More deflection. You said that I claimed to be a Christian, which is not true.

I've documented one of your previous lies here:

You do not seem to know what "deflection" is either. Is or is your user name not "Ebionite"? Ebionite's are nominally Christians. You may not like that term and you could request that others not use it for you, but until you openly do as an Ebionite you would also be a Christian. That is not a "lie" it is just what Ebionites are called. It was neither a slur or a compliment to point that fact out. It was clearly not a lie.

And no, now you are just admitting that you are wrong by continually referring back to arguments that you lost.

Ebionite

You do not seem to know what "deflection" is either. Is or is your user name not "Ebionite"? Ebionite's are nominally Christians. You may not like that term and you could request that others not use it for you, but until you openly do as an Ebionite you would also be a Christian. That is not a "lie" it is just what Ebionites are called. It was neither a slur or a compliment to point that fact out. It was clearly not a lie.

And no, now you are just admitting that you are wrong by continually referring back to arguments that you lost.
Deflection is when you change the topic because you have been caught in a lie.

The Ebionites were never Christians because they rejected Paul.

Principal errors
Insistence that all Christians or at least all Jewish Christians must be circumcised and keep the Mosaic Law; belief that Jesus was not God but an angel or, more commonly, a mere man, often with a denial of the Virgin Birth; rejection of the epistles of Paul; claim that Paul was a false apostle; and often the rejection of all Gospels except Matthew or a revised version of Matthew.

Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul:
And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
Acts 11:25-26

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Deflection is when you change the topic because you have been caught in a lie.

The Ebionites were never Christians because they rejected Paul.
No, rejecting Paul does not mean that they were not Christians:

"Ebionite, member of an early ascetic sect of Jewish Christians. "

"Ebionites (Greek: Ἐβιωναῖοι, translit. Ebiōnaîoi, derived from Hebrew אֶבְיוֹנִים‎ (or אֶבְיוֹנִם‎),[1] ʾEḇyōnīm, meaning 'the poor' or 'poor ones') as a term refers to a Jewish Christian sect, which viewed poverty as a blessing, that existed during the early centuries of the Common Era.[2][3] T"

"By this name were designated one or more early Christian sects infected with Judaistic errors."

Those are the first three sources that I came across on Ebionites. Where was my lie?

Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul:
And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
Acts 11:25-26
Holy crap!! Even your source points out that they were Jewish Christians:

"
There were three groups of Jewish heretics in the early Church: A strict party, the Judaizers, claimed that all Christians must accept circumcision and keep the Mosaic Law in order to be saved. A milder party, sometimes called the Nazarenes, claimed that all Jewish Christians must be circumcised and keep the Mosaic Law, even though Gentile Christians need not. A Gnostic Jewish group, sometimes called the Elkasaites, insisted on keeping the Mosaic Law and added pagan cosmic speculation and the worship of angels.

Development of the Heresy

Ebionism started as a broad movement rather than with a single leader. Even if Ebion of Pella was a real person, many beliefs of Ebionitism were common in early Jewish Christianity, especially the insistence on observing the Law of Moses."

Stay away from handguns if you value your toes. You have a tendency to shoot yourself in the foot. This is the second time tonight that your quotes or links refuted your claims.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm using the primary source. You've got nothing but Christian sources, who are not going to acknowledge that they marginalised a distinct group that had no association with them.
Your source was a Catholic one and it still claimed that they were Christians. The website for your source is "www.catholic.com". One does not get much more Christian than that. And no, only my last source was Christian. The other two were secular.

Now there may be a Ebionite source out there somewhere, but you clearly did not use one of those.

Tinkerpeach

For those of you who don't take the story of the Fall literally. Adam, Eve, Tree, Serpent, etc, how do you envision the Fall of Man happening? And if it didn't happen, what use is Jesus?
Taking anything in the Bible literally is not really the smartest thing to do. The things God wants us to know are clearly spelled out, the rest is there for context. Genesis, like Revelations are there to provide a beginning and an end to God's story. Was there really a serpent in the Garden, did the Garden actually even exist, it doesn't really matter since that is not what God wants people to focus on, He wants them to focus on salvation through our lord Jesus Christ.

How the fall of man actually happened is irrelevant, what is relevant is what we can do about it.

ppp

Taking anything in the Bible literally is not really the smartest thing to do. The things God wants us to know are clearly spelled out, the rest is there for context. Genesis, like Revelations are there to provide a beginning and an end to God's story. Was there really a serpent in the Garden, did the Garden actually even exist, it doesn't really matter since that is not what God wants people to focus on, He wants them to focus on salvation through our lord Jesus Christ.

How the fall of man actually happened is irrelevant, what is relevant is what we can do about it.

For those of you who don't take the story of the Fall literally. Adam, Eve, Tree, Serpent, etc, how do you envision the Fall of Man happening?

Your answer seems to be it doesn't matter if there was a fall or what it was.

And if it didn't happen, what use is Jesus?

Your answer seems to be that Jesus provides salvation from.... something????

Tinkerpeach

For those of you who don't take the story of the Fall literally. Adam, Eve, Tree, Serpent, etc, how do you envision the Fall of Man happening?

Your answer seems to be it doesn't matter if there was a fall or what it was.

And if it didn't happen, what use is Jesus?

Your answer seems to be that Jesus provides salvation from.... something????
No way for us to know since there is no documentation of it.

Something obviously happened with Adam and Eve but the Bible is filled with metaphors.

God doesn't explain every single detail to us. What's important to know is that God said man fell and sin was introduced, the exact details are irrelevant.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
The verse says “ all scripture is given by inspiration of God”. God is infallible, therefore scriptures inspired by God are infallible.
I got this:

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works."

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don’t agree. If God is infallible, then so will His Word be infallible. If the scriptures are inspired by God (2 Timothy 3:16), then to consider them to be doctrinally error free cannot be idolatry in my view.
The Bible contains myriads of what theologian's call "variations". For just one example, how many angels were at Jesus' tomb and what did he/they say?

No two gospels agree. There's many more like this.

BTW, the churches through centuries up until the 1800's, the emergence of the "fundamentalist movement", did teach the Bible is not inerrant for good reasons, because it clearly isn't. Even when the Christian canon was chosen in the 4th century, it was common knowledge that there often were "variations" on the same narrative.

Thus, to claim the Bible is perfect simply is just a form of idolatry. The Bible is not God and God is not the Bible-- the Bible is about God.

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Because laughing at you is rude but you making false claims against Ron Wyatt is perfectly acceptable, right?
The claims about him are true. Ron Wyatt is a hack with zero credibility. These creationists agree with me about him. They've got his claims listed under their "Arguments we Think Creationists Should NOT Use."

So it's not just atheists that think he's full of it.