• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you define "Athesim"?

How do you define Atheism?

• Total voters

Tristesse

With that clarification, no. It's not possible to be theist or atheist in the absence of cognitive capacity to grasp a concept of God.

A newborn is no more an atheist than a theist, or a Republican. Neither is a rock.

I wasn't talking about new borns, because I think it was pretty obvious that a new born doesn't hold any beliefs, kind of goes without saying.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I wasn't talking about new borns, because I think it was pretty obvious that a new born doesn't hold any beliefs, kind of goes without saying.
Well, that was theme of all my recent posts here. Glad we agree for a change.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I read a very good argument yesterday (in a book of philosophy called, "A Brief History of Thought" by Luc Ferry) that laid out the way (in Neitzschian manner) that people who believe in Democracy are firm theists.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I read a very good argument yesterday (in a book of philosophy called, "A Brief History of Thought" by Luc Ferry) that laid out the way (in Neitzschian manner) that people who believe in Democracy are firm theists.

Well being subject to it isn't the same as agreeing with it.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
eh. just lost my whole response.

short version- 'Atheism' is more of a 24/7 approach to/outlook on belief and non-belief. Black and white. You either do, or you don't. You either are, or you aren't. Period. This does not always paint an accurate picture of a person's reality.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
eh. just lost my whole response.

short version- 'Atheism' is more of a 24/7 approach to/outlook on belief and non-belief. Black and white. You either do, or you don't. You either are, or you aren't. Period. This does not always paint an accurate picture of a person's reality.
If it's not always accurate, how is it 'black and white'?

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
If it's not always accurate, how is it 'black and white'?

Atheism insists on black or white- this or that -even if the picture is both, neither, or a blend of the two.

It is a label that works only when it's adherents own only solid hats all of the same color.
Black, or White. :shrug: 'believer' or 'non-believer'.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
It's like the difference between not smoking and not being a smoker. Is a smoker a non-smoker when they're sleeping?

I think you failed right there.

most all babies are non smokers less pathetic parents, or ones to close to the fire.

so generally speaking babies are non smokers, no prerequisite or knowledge needed of ciggy's

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Atheism insists on black or white- this or that -even if the picture is both, neither, or a blend of the two.

It is a label that works only when it's adherents own only solid hats all of the same color.
Black, or White. :shrug: 'believer' or 'non-believer'.
So, atheism is a mask? I'm good with that.

220px-Musee_de_la_bible_et_Terre_Sainte_001.JPG

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
What of the very occasional smoker? Bums a handful of cigs a year. Does this make them a smoker or a non-smoker?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

most all babies are non smokers less pathetic parents, or ones to close to the fire.

so generally speaking babies are non smokers, no prerequisite or knowledge needed of ciggy's
You did miss the point.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos

Babies breathe. Smokers smoke. *takes cig out of pack. puts between fingers. lights cigarette. puts cig to lips and sucks/draws smoke into mouth. Inhales sucked smoke. exhales smoke in a fine stream or makes rings. flicks ahses. repeats...*

AmbiguousGuy

It's the same for theism and atheism: they're MECE categories: every person belongs to exactly one of them.

That certainly isn't true for me, and I'm pretty sure that it's an indefensible position.

I've encountred people who seem a little confused by the forms of the words 'theist' and 'atheist'. They tend to see language as mathematical somehow, so they take the 'a-' prefix as a negative sign and assume that a theist and an atheist are somehow 'opposite' or that being one necessarily excudes the other.

But in my opinion language doesn't work that way. Maybe when writing computer code, but certainly not in the real world.

Can someone be both a liberal and a conservative at once? I'd say that's an easy thing to do. So I think a person can also be a theist and an atheist (and neither) at once.

I know that I myself can be both and neither at once. I consider the categories nonsensical and even unhealthy. In other words, the world would be a better place if people stopped using them.

Edit: Think of race. When I was young, it was very easy to tell White People from Black People. And there were consequences to that, all of them bad. But nowadays on the street, I see lots of people who are coffee-colored. It's a lot harder for either Whites or Blacks to hate coffee-colored people.

I'd like to see philosophical categories go the same way as racial categories.

Last edited: