• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you define SCIENCE?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The discussion is about SCIENCE -- Creation -- and religion. How do you define science, first of all? One definition of science: (yes, I know there are different "branches" of science, but looking for a broad definition):
Science: "The systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation, experimentation, and the testing of theories against the evidence obtained:"
If possible, limit discussion to the definition of SCIENCE before striking out to other areas.

How I define it...

A method to validate what you believe to be true.

exchemist

Veteran Member
That's one common definition, and another involves the body of knowledge of the scientific community. By this definition science can hold that water is not wet if the majority says so.
But they don’t of course.

And there is no such definition of science, to my knowledge. What source can you cite that defines science this way?

HonestJoe

The discussion is about SCIENCE -- Creation -- and religion.
Three separate topics for one thread? That seems over ambitious. Why not stick to the one you actually want to discuss?

How do you define science, first of all?
Like most words, contextually. I think what you quoted is a fairly reasonable general definition, though I don't see the necessity of limiting the concept to the "physical and natural world". Scientific method could theoretically be applied to anything that could be consistently observed (and note that is distinct from "can currently be observed by humans").

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I think the OP has a workable definition for science.

With this out of the way, what was it you were wishing to debate?
If you are directing this to me, I only wish to learn, not really debate but I didn't know where else to post the question.

YoursTrue

Three separate topics for one thread? That seems over ambitious. Why not stick to the one you actually want to discuss?

Like most words, contextually. I think what you quoted is a fairly reasonable general definition, though I don't see the necessity of limiting the concept to the "physical and natural world". Scientific method could theoretically be applied to anything that could be consistently observed (and note that is distinct from "can currently be observed by humans").
Contextually to me right now means whatever goes or suits your fancy. I mean there's science in the lab and I guess there's science about outer space. Plus.

YoursTrue

Some say that science can be applied to astrology.

YoursTrue

Science applied to...oh back to definition of science again. I'm slow. Testing of theory?

YoursTrue

I define science the same easy as i define (and learned the meaning of) all words.

The OED (Oxford English Dictionary)

Science: the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation, experimentation, and the testing of theories against the evidence obtained.
Yup, that's what I'm basically wishing to stick with.

YoursTrue

That's one common definition, and another involves the body of knowledge of the scientific community. By this definition science can hold that water is not wet if the majority says so.
Please explain how that fits in with the following: Science: "The systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation, experimentation, and the testing of theories against the evidence obtained:"
(My thing now is testing...could be some of you guys know where I'm going with this, but if not, I'll just let it lay for a while hopefully. :) )

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Please explain how that fits in with the following: Science: "The systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation, experimentation, and the testing of theories against the evidence obtained:"
(My thing now is testing...could be some of you guys know where I'm going with this, but if not, I'll just let it lay for a while hopefully. :) )
Testing is a very important part of science. And I know that you are still stuck in science denial. You seem to believe that the theory of evolution cannot be tested. Or that the Big Bang cannot be tested. There is no shame in being ignorant of how those concepts are tested.

So why not come out openly and ask "How is this tested?" The "this" is where you have to be specific in what you think needs to be tested. It probably already has been.

YoursTrue

Testing is a very important part of science. And I know that you are still stuck in science denial. You seem to believe that the theory of evolution cannot be tested. Or that the Big Bang cannot be tested. There is no shame in being ignorant of how those concepts are tested.

So why not come out openly and ask "How is this tested?" The "this" is where you have to be specific in what you think needs to be tested. It probably already has been.
You are so wrong about your estimation of my science denial.