• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you detect "design"?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Read the book. You will find it free of charge on the internet. You will see. You will not believe what I say anyway. It's not about a "claim". It's about the math in his book. I have given the title, the author. Go read. Don't worry. He is an atheist so you won't have that bigotry problem. Just go read. At least. This is a big topic and as a decent individual you should at least a bit of effort.
Nah. Just tell us what you think his assertions are. and why they matter. Or, show the math you claim he's done. Y
This is a debate forum, not a book club.

By the way, I already know who Roger Penrose is and I know that a lot of people misrepresent his works.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
That’s right, material behaving according to the laws of nature. No spirits or designers needed.

"Law of nature, in the philosophy of science, a stated regularity in the relations or order of phenomena in the world that holds, under a stipulated set of conditions, either universally or in a stated proportion of instances."

firedragon

Veteran Member
Everyone on this thread has asked you several times to show the math.
You still haven't. I
I did. You didn't see it. And your fellow missionaries pretended it was not given. So you made that up saying "you still haven't". I gave the math, gave sources. No one is interested. All you and your so called "everyone" is interested is ignoring them, not willing to read anything, engage, but only strawman attempts, and handwaving.

And one of your so called tribe makes an argument of 100% probability for genesis while ignoring it should be for abiogenesis and randomness instead of design probabilities. That's all that has happened. So you could repeat your made up ad hominem a million times. That repetition does not make it a valid argument.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I did. You didn't see it. And your fellow missionaries pretended it was not given. So you made that up saying "you still haven't". I gave the math, gave sources. No one is interested. All you and your so called "everyone" is interested is ignoring them, not willing to read anything, engage, but only strawman attempts, and handwaving.
Except we can not ignore something that was never presented...

And one of your so called tribe makes an argument of 100% probability for genesis while ignoring it should be for abiogenesis and randomness instead of design probabilities. That's all that has happened. So you could repeat your made up ad hominem a million times. That repetition does not make it a valid argument.
Strawman.

You are suffering from:

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”​

― Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

I look back through your post and I could only find one post I have already qouted. Is there another one?

firedragon

Veteran Member

Strawman.

You are suffering from:

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”​

Thanks for some cheap insult attempt which has no value whatsoever, and for your fantastic and miraculous effort of an irrelevant cut and paste.

Try to read up and engage with arguments instead. Cheers.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Thanks for some cheap insult
I wonder how many others will agree you demonstrating the Bertrand Russell quote...

and for your fantastic effort of a cut and paste.
What can I say, copy/paste is extremely easy.
To bad you are completely unable to perform such an easy feat to support your claims....

Try to read up and engage with arguments instead.
You would do good to follow your own above quoted advice.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I see. So we're all just liars then. And fakers. LOL
Abiogenesis. Yes. It happened. There was no life. Then there was life.

I don't know what "made up ad hominem" you're referring to.

Pogo

The way the chemicals work has been observed. The mechanisms that convert inorganic chemicals to organic chemicals has been observed. The process of abiogenesis works. There is no alternative to abiogenesis given the facts we have.

Your question and position is like if you wake up in the morning and theres a foot of snow on the ground that wasn’t there when you went to sleep, but you reject that snow fell because you didn’t see it. What else can account for all that snow? Nothing.
Piddling little factoid;
Organic compound, any of a large class of chemical compounds in which one or more atoms of carbon are covalently linked to atoms of other elements, most commonly hydrogen, oxygen, or nitrogen. The few carbon-containing compounds not classified as organic include carbides, carbonates, and cyanides.
structures-compounds-formulas.jpg

Organic is basically anything with Carbon in it, inorganic is the rest of it, Oxygen, Nitrogen, Sulfur, hydrogen etc.

Organics are not some magical class with some life essence.

Pogo

No, the problem is that you don't actually even know what the words mean let alone having an understanding of the math.
This is why you end up parroting poor recreations of the creationist websites you get your "information" from.

Pogo

Strawman.

You are suffering from:

“Philosophy, as I shall understand the word, is something intermediate between theology and science.”

Ok, I will actually have to buy some of his books.

Pogo

Strawman.

You are suffering from:

“Philosophy, as I shall understand the word, is something intermediate between theology and science.”

Ok, I will actually have to buy some of his books.