• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you feel about other faiths?

Raahim

مكتوب
I have nothing against other religions as long as they are peaceful & others don't force it on others. I do however believe some religions are more true than others.

SSDSSDSSD3

The Great Sea Under!
@Terese posted an interesting thread entitled "Your thoughts on other religions" recently, but since it's in the Christianity DIR it only allows Christians to share their thoughts. I found the variety of replies very interesting and wanted to find out what people of other faiths thought about this. Since posting the same thread in every DIR would be a bit redundant, I would like to open up the discussion to the whole community here and ask people of every faith, how do you feel about other faiths? It would be helpful to briefly describe your own beliefs first to get an idea of how different groups view others. What do the teachings of your religion have to say about other beliefs? What do the teachings of your religion have to say about other beliefs?Do you treat all other faiths equally or do you view some as better than others?
I'm a Sikh and as such my perspective would be unique among the various Sikhs asked.
how do you feel about other faiths? I don't have any real hatred towards those of other faiths, but I do acknowledge that they lead people astray and only Sikhi is free from that ability of getting lost. What do the teachings of your religion have to say about other beliefs? Sikhi is the only religion to acknowledge any other religions, as Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji communicated with the various religious traditions of not only the Dharmic faiths but also the Abrahmic faiths, (though compared to Sikhi it is not anything!) Do you treat all other faiths equally or do you view some as better than others? All religions are not equal; however, all people are equal: only the Sikh religion is pure.

Tomorrows_Child

@Terese posted an interesting thread entitled "Your thoughts on other religions" recently, but since it's in the Christianity DIR it only allows Christians to share their thoughts. I found the variety of replies very interesting and wanted to find out what people of other faiths thought about this. Since posting the same thread in every DIR would be a bit redundant, I would like to open up the discussion to the whole community here and ask people of every faith, how do you feel about other faiths? It would be helpful to briefly describe your own beliefs first to get an idea of how different groups view others. What do the teachings of your religion have to say about other beliefs? What do you personally think? Do you treat all other faiths equally or do you view some as better than others?

From an Islamic perspective, everyone is allowed to practice their religion, go to religious festivals, temples etc. In fact, under Islamic guidelines for war, a religious figure such as a priest or a religious building are not allowed to be harmed, unless they are being used with a military purpose.

From a personal perspective, I grew up with Christian, atheist, Hindu and Sikh friends. I treat them all equally...well those who are good at FIFA get treated differently but that's the way it should be.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
In my opinion, it is an inalienable right and the moral duty of parents to promote and or describe their values, including ideas of right and wrong, moral and ethical nuances including religious beliefs to their child.
Why should the child not have the right to make up their own mind?
The most important reason for the above is if not the parent who has the responsibility of instilling the tools of moral reasoning logic, and spirituality or even atheism to a child ?
It's called society. Parental guidance plays a part, but society also plays a major role.
Also, a lesser concern is I beleive it would be impossible to teach a very young child every religion etc.
True, but you can still teach them about many different ones, different views of the world,
Anyway if we followed child raising rules by created lawmakers or worse a governmental decree, that would be a horrific disaster. I have nightmares of 'the government' guiding my childs early development etc! Visions of Hitler youth or the machete wielding orphans of the blood diamond trade that would chop a limb off without hesitation or remorse who learned their values from cannibal warlorlds stick in my mind trade being considered the norm.....Of course I know the examples of government kids are extreme and unlikely (at least at first) I say no thanks!
And I dream of a world where kids in school aren't telling each other they are going to hell over following a different religious path. A world of diversity, tolerance, acceptance, and seeing differences as only secondary.

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
There are many ways to reach the peak of Everest.
All paths are easy or hard based on their experience... But some ignorant men will mock the choice of path taken by others and even try to destroy the path of others out of arrogance and need for attention.
By so doing, his focus shifts from reaching the epitome of Everest to other meager issues and surely he will no longer be able to climb the montaon successfully and even Fall down.

Same with religions- Hindus, Buddhists, Jains. Sikhs, Christians, atheists, Satanists, etc... Who are without arrogance, greed and anger and have enlightened themselves with the ultimate knowledge of reality beyond the 5 senses and go beyond the city of 9 gates (the material body) will reach the common goal of freedom from all miseries.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
As (another) Bahá'í, I will first begin by commending my fellows in the Faith for their beautiful responses: arthra and Maya Kaath.

Now, with my own input, elaborating upon the last verse in arthra's response.

An essential cornerstone of my faith is the belief — as taught by Bahá'u'lláh Himself from its inception — that God has sent different Prophets and Messengers (or ‘Manifestations of the Names and Attributes of God’, as the Bahá'í Faith knows them) to all nations and cultures since the beginning of time. As such, the major religions are Revelations (and by extension, all peoples and religions derive their Inspiration) from the same God. They are all successive chapters in His same “changeless, eternal Faith” that Shoghi Effendi talked about; all of their various Holy Writings (The Torah, The New Testament, The Qur’an, The Vedas, The Bhagavad Gita, The Sutras, The various Bahá'í Scriptures, etc.) being God's Word to humankind. I cannot be a Bahá'í while denying that. Like counting to 9. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9.... you have to count all the preceding numbers in order to get to 9. You can't skip any of them. In the same way, though, that there is no final number, God's Revelation - I believe - will never end.

Last edited:
I think you are entitled to your own religion, and deserve respect on your decision.
As it is stated in the Quran: "To you be your religion, to me be mine"

Chaote chiming in here. My personal view is that there is no such thing as objective truth, and that reality is essentially the same as one's perception of reality.

One part of chaos magic is the notion of belief-shifting or paradigm-shifting, which pretty much means changing your philosophical or religious views on a whim in order to alter your perception and thus alter reality itself. Because of this idea of belief-shifting, I have read up on and even done prayers/rituals of multiple religions, including but not limited to paganism, wicca, laveyan satanism, and buddhism.

I don't believe that any religion is objectively true or objectively false, but I do consider myself a non-theist as I don't actively worship any gods. I choose to say non-theist rather than atheist because I don't actively disbelieve in gods, I just don't really care one way or the other.

soma

John Kuykendall
The God in the Bible is the same God that can be found in science, nature and all the different religions so by investigating God’s majesty in diverse manifestations we can expand our appreciation, awareness and personal feeling towards God’s awesome creation that surrounds us. By renewing the mind we transform our life in accordance with what we believe and the thoughts we provide it; as a result, we should not slam the door shut with useless, obsolete convictions, uncontested ideas and unworkable restraints. Everything takes place for a reason so we can switch over lies for truth and let go of our fear in order to trust because life was not intended to end in a theory, but in developments that constantly increase our intensity leaping forward with enthusiasm.

I actually go to other faiths not cause I doubt my faith but to see what others believe. I am always Catholic but I like to see how others see and feel how I think it is important. It becomes hard for me specially with atheism is abusive when religious topics come up they tend to be very perverted on religion and see us as mentally incapable persons. I still go to talk with atheist cause they are usually very intelligent individuals and I believe that they have some kind of pain that makes them so hateful sometimes entertainingly hateful. Most other religions are beautiful in there own ways. I just hear something in Catholicism that is pure and it is the first time everything about religion made sense.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I actually go to other faiths not cause I doubt my faith but to see what others believe. I am always Catholic but I like to see how others see and feel how I think it is important. It becomes hard for me specially with atheism is abusive when religious topics come up they tend to be very perverted on religion and see us as mentally incapable persons. I still go to talk with atheist cause they are usually very intelligent individuals and I believe that they have some kind of pain that makes them so hateful sometimes entertainingly hateful. Most other religions are beautiful in there own ways. I just hear something in Catholicism that is pure and it is the first time everything about religion made sense.
I was brought up in fundamentalist Protestant church but dated a woman during my undergrad years who was Catholic, whereas I periodically went with her to mass. To me, it was beautiful.

A bit later, I fell in love with another Catholic woman, we've been married for 49 years now, and I attend mass with her every weekend even though I'm not Catholic. There's much I don't agree with, but the thing that's most important are the teachings of compassion and justice matched with strong emphasis on charity.

Flankerl

How do you feel about other faiths?

I don't particularly feel anything about 99% of other Religions.
I tend to have feelings towards two rather large Religions, though that is mainly because of their ultimate goals regarding my Religion and its adherents.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I actually go to other faiths not cause I doubt my faith but to see what others believe.
I have actually been to Catholic mass twice, and found both experiences very spiritual and beautiful.

I am always Catholic but I like to see how others see and feel how I think it is important.
I feel exactly the same way you do (except, of course, substituting LDS for Catholic). I think you and I are going to find that we are a lot alike that way.

I have actually been to Catholic mass twice, and found both experiences very spiritual and beautiful.

I feel exactly the same way you do (except, of course, substituting LDS for Catholic). I think you and I are going to find that we are a lot alike that way.

I can say that LDS has some cute youtube parables. And they are fairly accurate to Catholic Gospel. But I really enjoy the fact that the mass has been the same way as Jesus showed his disciples. I truthfully have gotten closer to God in Catholicism then in my past 20 years of other religions. Everything unfolded and was very clear after having the right spiritual leader.

I don't particularly feel anything about 99% of other Religions.
I tend to have feelings towards two rather large Religions, though that is mainly because of their ultimate goals regarding my Religion and its adherents.

Judaism is very very beautiful we read scriptures from our bible every mass. It is the foundation to all religions and will always be cherished for documenting all the events and opening the doors to all gentiles