• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you feel about other faiths?

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
Of course opinions are often if not usually wrong, but they are better than beliefs because they are open to being changed when the evidence showing they are wrong becomes clear.
Opinions can never be wrong. It is my opinion that dogs are better pets than cats, that Star Wars is a good movie series, that blue is the best color, and that avocados are icky. None of these things are right or wrong, they are opinions, subjective feelings.

VioletVortex

If the faiths are getting in the way or attacking my faith, they are a definite problem to me. However, I am fine with other faiths existing and being practiced as long as they don't harm me or the environment.

Timothy Bryce

How do you feel about other faiths?

I don't trust in them and believe all of them to be lies.

How do I feel about people of other faiths?

I am to love them as myself without fail.

What makes your faith any different from any other faith?

Geography? Family? Seems like extremely fragile logic to me.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Anything I don't believe in is automatically wrong, because if I thought it wasn't so, I would believe in it, right?

But on a serious note, I think a lot of other religions are just dumb. Sometimes really dumb. Or worse, dumb and dangerous.

But there are also many religions I don't have much of an issue with aside from the usual aversion I have towards supernaturalistic claims. Unfortunately most atheistic religions are kind of dumb IMO.

I say dumb to describe ones that are rife with contradictions and logical fallacies in their theology. I'm not simply using it as an insult. Or ones that deny pretty obvious parts of reality.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I've already replied in the Christianity DIR, describing what my religion says about other religions.
Personally, I think that all religions (and also all philosophies and beliefs) are mere consequences of the freedom of thought, which is sacred and must be always respected. Although, all religions have to be respected, unless their practices and rites violate either the law of the country in question, or the International law (especially when it deals with the violation of UN fundamental human rights).

Frank Merton

I do not care as long as they are not dogmatic, guilt, fear and shame inducing, anti-sexuality, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, racist, do not encourage reason and rationality, stifle mental, intellectual and physical freedom, etc.

(As you can see, I am not a fan of much of the world's major religions or institutionalized religion in general.)
I can't think of any religion that meets your standards.

Frank Merton

Opinions can never be wrong. It is my opinion that dogs are better pets than cats, that Star Wars is a good movie series, that blue is the best color, and that avocados are icky. None of these things are right or wrong, they are opinions, subjective feelings.
If I have the opinion that I have the right to shoot and kill anyone I don't like, my opinion is wrong. Think a little before mouthing like that.

Kapalika

Premium Member

If you define what is "good" or "better", they can be right or wrong based on those standards. For example what makes good screenwriting is generally agreed upon and there is a standard set by years upon years of perfecting the artform, so there is at least some form of an opinion being "wrong" as in misinformed. If someone told me that the The Phantom Menace is the best Star Wars movie I could very comfortably say they are gravely wrong.

This is mostly true of art. Some people will try to go post-modern on you and say that it's all subjective, but that isn't wholly true. There is a reason that certain pieces of art are better. It could be a matter of technical skill, technique, innovation or something extraordinary about it but the underlying standard is still there.

I can't think of any religion that meets your standards.

Mine does :D

First Baseman

Retired athlete
What makes your faith any different from any other faith?

Geography? Family? Seems like extremely fragile logic to me.

Elementary. I believe my faith is Absolute truth and anything that contradicts, adds to or takes away from it is a lie from Satan, the Father of Lies. I believe Satan means to lead others astray simply because he is the incarnation of evil.

Actually, this is New Testament teaching and is not a new thing at all.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
If I have the opinion that I have the right to shoot and kill anyone I don't like, my opinion is wrong. Think a little before mouthing like that.
Your opinion is not wrong, it is your opinion. It is wrong to claim you have the right to act upon it, but it is not wrong (as in incorrect, not bad) to simply feel like you should have the right.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Elementary. I believe my faith is Absolute truth and anything that contradicts, adds to or takes away from it is a lie from Satan, the Father of Lies. I believe Satan means to lead others astray simply because he is the incarnation of evil.

Micah 6[8] He has showed you, O man, what is good;
and what does the LORD require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
and to walk humbly with your God?

David1967

Premium Member
How do I feel about other faiths? Whether or not I agree or disagree with them, I think a person should be free to choose which to be a part of or to belong to none at all. I have a big problem with anyone who tries to force their religion on anyone.

Frank Merton

How do I feel about other faiths? Whether or not I agree or disagree with them, I think a person should be free to choose which to be a part of or to belong to none at all. I have a big problem with anyone who tries to force their religion on anyone.
Religions are rarely forced on others. What happens is a population is forced to adopt the forms of the religion and then over a few generations it becomes the accepted religion. The key is to get control of the indoctrination of the children.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Having religion is a lot like having a car-- it can be done for good or for evil. If we just seek out the mistakes, then we're making a mistake ourselves, much like if we just seek out the successes we may ignore real problems that need real reckoning with.

As long as there are people in these institutions, there will be mistakes made, but also some successes.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
Nonsense; I would say it was you who has not studied many religions nor their histories. They are and have been the single most important source of evil in history.

Really? One would think everyone would feel this way.

Opinion noted. You are not my king. Opinion discarded.

Next.