• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how do you feel when threatened with Hell?

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
what do you think happens to a person when he dies?
I suspect we move along into another realm; I hope we get to see loved ones, if they're still there. I believe strongly we reincarnate into our next life(of which the nature of is determined by how we lived the current one).

vijeno

How do you feel when people threaten you with Hell?

For me it brings about an enormous sense of superiority

I think it's supposed to scare me

It really doesn't

It makes me feel for them. I feel compassion. Having been there myself, albeit in the last millennium, I feel like I want to help them out of their delusion, which is the actual hell, because it really exists - only it exists inside of them.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I suspect we move along into another realm; I hope we get to see loved ones, if they're still there. I believe strongly we reincarnate into our next life(of which the nature of is determined by how we lived the current one).
I like myself even though I am not perfect, make mistakes. I do not want to move on to another realm except that of a life on this earth without sickness, pain or sorrow. Or death. Now that you bring up what you did, I am more than satisfied that I realize the Bible says I can live forever as a human in wonderful conditions. I believe that is the best promise for me.

TLK Valentine

Read the books that others would burn.
Especially when they say they are worried for you and will be sad to not be in Heaven with you..........

So your God would horribly torture your friends for all eternity?????

Lovely!

What I miss is when they say God'll punish me for my views on abortion, LGBTs, who to vote for, etc...

I miss reminding them that their God is already sending me to Hell because I'm not a Christian. "My dude, you just threatened to give a parking ticket to a man on Death Row."

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

It really doesn't
It makes me feel somewhat like when a policemen threatens me with a fine or jail time. Then I feel real good when he then says “I’ll give you a free pass this time”.

wellwisher

It really doesn't
I see it less of a threat and more of a guideline. If someone says you should not drink and drive that is not a threat but a guideline to help you moderate and maintain self control and awareness when behind the wheel; balance.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I see it less of a threat and more of a guideline. If someone says you should not drink and drive that is not a threat but a guideline to help you moderate and maintain self control and awareness when behind the wheel; balance.

"Don't drink and drive because you might hurt someone" - not a threat

"Don't drink and drive because my favourite dude has built a dungeon where he'll torture you if he catches you" - a threat

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I like myself even though I am not perfect, make mistakes. I do not want to move on to another realm except that of a life on this earth without sickness, pain or sorrow. Or death. Now that you bring up what you did, I am more than satisfied that I realize the Bible says I can live forever as a human in wonderful conditions. I believe that is the best promise for me.
I'm glad to hear you're satisfied with your beliefs.

Ajax

what do you think happens to a person when he dies?
Nobody has ever come back from being dead to explain what happens, so we don't know. Perhaps we could end up being like we were before conception, which again is unknown. However since we belong to the Kingdom Animalia and specifically in the Class - Mammalia, Order - Primates, Family - Hominidae, did you ever consider what happens to our other anchestors when they die? Why should they be different from us in this respect?:)

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
"Don't drink and drive because my favourite dude has built a dungeon where he'll torture you if he catches you" - a threat..
Yeah .. but that is not a fair comparison with hell, imo.
You only see it that way if you don't understand idiom, and only take a literal reading.
eg. that "bloke" called God will do this or that

..but I see it as being warned of consequences, as we can either nurture our souls or damage them.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yeah .. but that is not a fair comparison with hell, imo.

Depends on the sort of Hell being proposed.

You only see it that way if you don't understand idiom, and only take a literal reading.
eg. that "bloke" called God will do this or that

I respond to the beliefs and claims I'm given. Many theists argue for a literalist interpretation; many don't. Literal interpretations of scripture aren't universal, but they're certainly common.

..but I see it as being warned of consequences, as we can either nurture our souls or damage them.

Damage them... by a mechanism that God didn't specifically, deliberately create with full knowledge of what its effects would be?

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.

Eh... I think "conditioned" might be more fitting sometimes. Think of a partner who who walks on egg shells around their significant other to avoid suffering their wrath. Sounds like an unhealthy situation to me

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
In my religion, we are not supposed to worship God in order to get to heaven.

“Although when true worship is offered, the worshipper is delivered from the fire, and entereth the paradise of God’s good-pleasure, yet such should not be the motive of his act. However, God’s favour and grace ever flow in accordance with the exigencies of His inscrutable wisdom.”
Selections From the Writings of the Báb, p. 78