• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how do you feel when threatened with Hell?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I believe the concept is that ignorance is bliss. Even if judgment catches up to you, you can always just refer to it as bad luck.
If god can not even be bothered to show up during judgment, is it worthy of the title god?

MonkeyFire

If you saw a big red devil your senses would suffer.

You will certainly suffer unless you are down to be in hell. You will suffer at sight of a demon, especially if you have to be that. It doesn’t matter if you believe what I believe, only that you believe. I would love to be wrong about this.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Humans are flawed, in that they take things out of context, in order to please themselves. :tired:

I believe that G-d does not WANT us to suffer.
..but points out that we will, if we don't heed His guidance.
Are you talking of theists or atheists?
Why do you believe that? What evidence do you have for that?
I have been an atheist for 4 decades. I have not suffered anything. I did not suffer much even when I was a theist.
There is no connection between human suffering and your imagined Allah. the idea was created by people who wanted to benefit by it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
How do you feel when people threaten you with Hell?

For me it brings about an enormous sense of superiority

I think it's supposed to scare me

It really doesn't

Generally, I take a person's God to be an expression of their ideas of perfection and virtue, so when someone threatens me with Hell, I hear something along the lines of "it would be better if you were in Hell than if you weren't" or "if I could torture you in the way I think Hell is like, I would."

It's kinda messed up.

Shaul

Premium Member
The threat doesn't work on me. But, then, I have been a public school teacher.

Rational Agnostic

Are you saying that Adam faced annihilation upon death? Does everyone face annihilation or just some people? Are you an annihilationist?

What are your thoughts on all the parts of the Bible describes a place of fiery, eternal torment?

Revelation 20:10 -

And the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Or that people will absolutely go there, too

Matthew 25:32-41 -

32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Who is eligible for this eternal torment?

Matthew 5:21 -

But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

Revelation 20:15 -

And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Seems rather cut and dried to me, personally

Lol, that "king" also said he'd come back within the lifetimes of his disciples (Matthew 10:23, Matthew 16:28, and Matthew 24:34, among many other verses) and obviously that never happened. He'll also most likely be forgotten forever in a few thousand years or so, if not a few hundred. Isn't it amusing how Christianity has so little evidence for it that it has to threaten unbelievers with eternal torment in order to get converts? Besides, even if such a god existed, you'd have to be a psychopath to actually love a god that tortures people for eternity. If that god actually existed I would hate its guts with a burning passion so it would damn me to hell anyway, and I don't care. I can understand how some cowards might worship it and pretend to love it out of fear of going to hell, but no one who is a good person could actually love such a being. It doesn't exist anyway so it's kind of a pointless discussion though.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
How do you feel when people threaten you with Hell?
Amused mostly. Depending the context, I might find it offensive. From what I have seen those that render it don't have much basis to the claim and aren't acting in my interest even as they seem to be trying to say they are.
For me it brings about an enormous sense of superiority
For me, it is still mostly amusement. Other people can't condemn anyone to Hell. That they think so, puts them in a vulnerable position I think.
I think it's supposed to scare me
I agree. It is definitely intended to sway and intimidate with fear.
It really doesn't
Good for you. I'm with you.

Rational Agnostic

Part of it is to control yes, because God is the King of mankind and all lands on earth, whether people think otherwise or not.

However, another part is to save us from his wrath and retributive justice. Quran is a healing. People are quite insane to chase petty things instead of craving God. They don't harm God, but God creates with truth, and they become overwhelmingly evil and lost.

When a soul is bold and does not fear God, the Quran acknowledges that warning them won't make them believe.

The ball is in their court, and God does not change what is in a people until they change what is in themselves.

Fearing God is humbly acknowledging justice. That's all it comes down to. Examination of justice will make us fear God.

People project their caprice unto God - calling him a monster if he punishes them. They think God has to accept who they have chosen to be.

It's us who have to accept God not the other way.

Lol :tearsofjoy:

Rational Agnostic

Generally, I take a person's God to be an expression of their ideas of perfection and virtue, so when someone threatens me with Hell, I hear something along the lines of "it would be better if you were in Hell than if you weren't" or "if I could torture you in the way I think Hell is like, I would."

It's kinda messed up.

Funny how the god described in the bible sounds an awful lot like a pompous, sadistic, narcissistic and unimaginably stupid middle eastern guy with anger issues, ain't it? It's almost like the guys who wrote the bible imagined the creator of the entire universe would be just like them. :tearsofjoy:

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've said this before but wrath, anger, these are only bad things when misplaced. When we get angry for petty things or our ego for example, is a bad use for anger.

To be angry at oppression is not a bad thing. Everything has a proper place in virtue including vengeance. As God holds all virtues at ultimate level, just as there will be ultimate mercy and forgiveness and reward for believers, there will be ultimate wrath and vengeance for disbelievers.

This is the reality of virtues whether we want to acknowledge them or not. Then there comes the issue how a disbeliever becomes over time impossible to save.

Ajax

First of all there is no soul... All the functions that are usually attributed to an invisible, intangible thing called soul, are done by our brain. So when we are dead and our brain is not functioning, we will understand absolutely nothing. Even if soul did exist, it has no memory and can not defend itself at "judgement day". If you don't agree with this, try to tell us what you remember from your first two years of your life. You can't... because your brain was not fully developed.