• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do You Know What Is Evil?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
drekmed said:
what is evil?
evil is an idea, an abstract. it has no substance, it has no set boundaries, and it has no rules. it cannot be measured. in essence evil does not really exist.
That very conveniently absolves you of all moral responsibilities, doesn't it?

drekmed said:
so who really decides what is evil? the Holy Spirit? Allah? God? Buddha? any other diety from the infinite list of dieties?
How about you? :eek: What a shocking concept.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
What about the harm to any potential children resulting from incest? And if a parent raises a kid that is sexually atracted to the parent, can you seriously say that the parent has raised a healthy, well-adjusted, individuated kid? How can a well-adjusted, individuated person be attracted to his/her sibling?
Well the same could be said for gay couples who adopt children. A gay couple could influence that child to be gay. Using your logic, you could say that gay people are evil. Which you said they wern't.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
cardero said:
How Do We Know What Evil Is?
Write the word evil on a piece a paper, now hold it in front of a mirror to receive your answer.

I did that and it said livE. I don't get it :bonk:

Heh.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
neutral.jpg

How evil are you?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Very good question!

Evil, in Buddhism, becomes a situational response one has within one's place in samsara. We can choose to become trapped in samsara, unconsciously accumulating bad karma by wrong action and with harmful intent (which defines evil) -

Or we can choose to develop actions that are truly not "natural" such as compassion, love, forgiveness, and patience toward one's enemies. These choices in the numberless opportunities life provides us brings us closer to liberation or rebirth into samsara.

I apologize if the above sounds like I'm proselityzing.

My above statements are relevent in that evil can dwell in our hearts long before any actions bear it's fruit. The Five Precepts are a good start:

1) I will be mindful and reverential with all life. I will not be violent nor will I kill.

2) I will respect the property of others. I will not steal.

3) I will be conscious and loving in my relationships. I will not give way to lust.

4) I will honor honesty and truth. I will not deceive.

5) I will exercise proper care of my body and mind. I will not be gluttonous nor abuse intoxicants.

The Buddha then spelled out specifically the Eightfold Path that includes not only what is Right Action, but Right Speech and Right Thought.

Therefore, in my tradition, evil does not exclude minor infractions such as yelling out of anger at your spouse or your children. It is a much broader definition that encourages the Buddhist practitioner to consistently practice toward enlightenment in order to not only escape the wheel of samsara, but to eradicate evil toward all sentient beings, and to plant the seeds of compassion for the world's benefit.

Again, I hope I'm not perceived as trying to "sell" my beliefs on to anyone here. :)

Peace,
Mystic

Faint

I would say that "bad" is anything that leads people away from happiness towards misery and suffering. Evil is that which does this on purpose.

Sometimes bad is not as bad as it first seems. There may be opportunity in crisis.

But it is always wrong to cause intentional pain to those who don't deserve it. The greater the pain caused, the greater the level of evil.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Faint said:
You are Pure Evil

pureevil.jpg

Umm...is it because I'd rather be an actor or because I like France?​
I chose actor. So it must be France. The Eiffel Tower is a citadel for the evil heathens :devil:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Jaiket said:
Why do you say so?
As I said earlier, to define evil is to define what is morally permissible and what is not. If you know that then it is your responsibility to avoid what's not permissible and to resist it when others do it. To say that there is no such thing as evil is to say that everything is morally permissible. It requires nothing of you. Thus, there is no responsibility.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Mister_T said:
Well the same could be said for gay couples who adopt children. A gay couple could influence that child to be gay. Using your logic, you could say that gay people are evil. Which you said they wern't.
No, the same could not be said for gay couples. I'm talking about genetic abnormalities that come from inbreeding.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
lilithu said:
No, the same could not be said for gay couples. I'm talking about genetic abnormalities that come from inbreeding.
Oh. I misunderstood you. Hmmm.... I can agree with that. :D

Yerda

Veteran Member
lilithu said:
As I said earlier, to define evil is to define what is morally permissible and what is not. If you know that then it is your responsibility to avoid what's not permissible and to resist it when others do it. To say that there is no such thing as evil is to say that everything is morally permissible. It requires nothing of you. Thus, there is no responsibility.
Who is the responsibility to?

EDIT:
lilithu said:
Evil can be done unintentionally out of ignorance.
You drive? You fly? We westerners are contributing the vast majority to the effects of climate change which threaten the most impoverished people in the southern hemisphere. Essentially our ignorance is leading to their suffering, floods, droughts, hurricanes, famines etc.

Perhaps your furniture was crafted using illegally logged timber, resulting in the deaths of indigenous people, the disappearance of huge areas of forest and hunting of primates.

Repressive governments are propped-up by mining of elements most likely found in your computer.

Perhaps your ignorance in your bank's activities has lead to proliferation of weaponry to militias that are guilty of ethnic cleansing, and privatisation of water resources in the Third World leading to poverty, disease and death.

Yerda

Veteran Member
lilithu said:
Mind if I jump in here too?

Gentic abnormalities as in detrimental to health? Incest doesn't have to lead to offspring in any case.

Why is one sexual impulse permissible and the other wrong?