• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you view: the Catholic Church

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'm surprised that there is so much anti-Catholic sentiment on RF! Sometimes it's easy to lose sight of the fact that you're not the only one being picked on. Here's to my Catholic friends... :kissbette

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks Katz :D

Even though we disagree on theological issues, I really feel for the stuff Mormons go through as well :hug:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I'm surprised that there is so much anti-Catholic sentiment on RF! Sometimes it's easy to lose sight of the fact that you're not the only one being picked on. Here's to my Catholic friends... :kissbette
Considering the history of the Catholic church you shouldn't be.
Almost everyone I know is Catholic and most of them have some hostility to some aspect of the church resulting from their experiences.
I have hostility to the Catholic church because in this country it is foisted upon you whether you want it or not.

Fluffy

A fool
I don't see anything destructive about the Catholic church in particular. I disagree with them on a variety of issues. I resent the fact that they claim that I should become Catholic. That is little different than my relationship with the vast majority of Christian churches. I hope that their views find them and others happiness but will continue to oppose what I see as incorrect thinking.

I think it is a shame that people are hostile towards Catholics.

crystalonyx

As an atheist now but former protestant, it seemed the Catholic church was and is very dictatorial about its members getting married in a Catholic church, the rules about divorce, and has backward views on abortion and contraception etc. It just seemed to be a very controlling organization I have no desire to be around.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I don't see anything destructive about the Catholic church in particular. I disagree with them on a variety of issues. I resent the fact that they claim that I should become Catholic. That is little different than my relationship with the vast majority of Christian churches. I hope that their views find them and others happiness but will continue to oppose what I see as incorrect thinking.

I think it is a shame that people are hostile towards Catholics.

Hostility towards the institution that is the Catholic church is not the same thing as hostility towards Catholics

Francine

Hostility towards the institution that is the Catholic church is not the same thing as hostility towards Catholics

On the contrary, the institution that is the Catholic Church is the body of Christ, and Catholics are members of the same body of Christ. Hostility towards the body of Christ is expected, however.

Luke 6: [22] Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake. [23] Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
On the contrary, the institution that is the Catholic Church is the body of Christ, and Catholics are members of the same body of Christ. Hostility towards the body of Christ is expected, however.
No. I am not talking about the Catholic church in the 'universal', Nicene Creed sense. When I said Catholic Church I am talking about the Roman Catholic Church.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Then we don't agree. My in-laws are Catholics, all my neighbours and most of my friends are RC, I have no hostility to them. I have hostility towards the institution of the RC Church because it intrudes uninvited in my life. The two are not the same. I am hostile to the institution that shielded and shuffled paedophiles, many of my RC friends and relatives share this hostility.

Francine

Then we don't agree. My in-laws are Catholics, all my neighbours and most of my friends are RC, I have no hostility to them. I have hostility towards the institution of the RC Church because it intrudes uninvited in my life. The two are not the same. I am hostile to the institution that shielded and shuffled paedophiles, many of my RC friends and relatives share this hostility.

I am hostile towards members of my family who harmed other members of my family, but this does not equate to hostility toward my whole family, or even the institution of family.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I am hostile towards members of my family who harmed other members of my family, but this does not equate to hostility toward my whole family, or even the institution of family.
Yes but I have no problems with most Catholics. I do have big problems with/hostility towards the institution.,

Francine

Yes but I have no problems with most Catholics. I do have big problems with/hostility towards the institution.,

With all due respect, it's not rational to express hostility toward an abstraction. Suppose the institution were to express hostility back at you. In what form would this hostility come? Answer: individual members of the institution would retaliate. People like to blame things on society or corporations or "the system". Don't hate the player, hate the game, they say. It's a cop out. We only have individual people to deal with, and Christ says to love them.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
With all due respect, it's not rational to express hostility toward an abstraction. Suppose the institution were to express hostility back at you. In what form would this hostility come? Answer: individual members of the institution would retaliate. People like to blame things on society or corporations or "the system". Don't hate the player, hate the game, they say. It's a cop out. We only have individual people to deal with, and Christ says to love them.
The institution of the Catholic Church is not an abstraction.
It runs nearly all the state schools here and many of the hospitals. Because of its institutional power it considers itself to have a right to a say in the running of this country.
It is not a cop out. If I were to have a go at an individual priest, bishop, the primate or even the Papal Nuncio I would not be justified. My hostility is not towards them but the institution they represent.

Francine

It is not a cop out. If I were to have a go at an individual priest, bishop, the primate or even the Papal Nuncio I would not be justified. My hostility is not towards them but the institution they represent.

All I can do is behave in such a way that I do not add to your hostility towards the institution, and pray that my actions lead you to reduce your hostility.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
All I can do is behave in such a way that I do not add to your hostility towards the institution, and pray that my actions lead you to reduce your hostility.

OK so.
When I say my hostility is only to the institution, that's it.
Peace.

By the way, my Gran and several aunts are already busy praying...

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
As an entity I view the catholic church as the Scarlet woman in revelation: the woman who rides the beast. as the King James version says:
MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

The pope is an antichrist and will one day be either the beast or false prophet of revelation.

Some of It's traditions and teachings deceive it's adherants away from salvation and offer a false hope.

I love the roman catholic people and feel they have been deceived. This is (very briefly) my view as a protestant baptist evangelical but is not one shared by all protestants.

Smoke

Done here.
Considering the history of the Catholic church you shouldn't be.
Almost everyone I know is Catholic and most of them have some hostility to some aspect of the church resulting from their experiences.
I have hostility to the Catholic church because in this country it is foisted upon you whether you want it or not.
Some of the harshest criticisms of the Catholic Church that I've ever heard came from people who attended Catholic schools, and were still Catholic. ;)