• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does Feminism view Men?

How does Feminism view Men?

• Oppressors?

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Competitors?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Partners?

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Not only does it depend on the school of thought, it also depends on the region. I speak pretty exclusively in terms of the situation in the US; things will be different in other parts of the world.

That in mind...

Like the War Boys from Fury Road: victims of forced gender roles under threat of social ridicule, humiliation, and violence, but which actively reinforce and perpetuate the same systems that keep everyone down.

Systemic sexism hurts everyone to different degrees, so while women and biosex females are hurt worse than men and biosex males overall (and non-binary/trans people get it worst of all), the latter are absolutely among its victims.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Men are expected to be dominant, aggressive and repress their emotions. They are viewed as more inherently sexual than women. Men have more power culturally than women but the pressures of masculinity can be oppressive too.

Tell me about it... :(

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not only does it depend on the school of thought, it also depends on the region. I speak pretty exclusively in terms of the situation in the US; things will be different in other parts of the world.

That in mind...

Like the War Boys from Fury Road: victims of forced gender roles under threat of social ridicule, humiliation, and violence, but which actively reinforce and perpetuate the same systems that keep everyone down.

Systemic sexism hurts everyone to different degrees, so while women and biosex females are hurt worse than men and biosex males overall (and non-binary/trans people get it worst of all), the latter are absolutely among its victims.
If we consider the number of men v women killed in wars (with many men drafted unwillingly),
is it true that straight healthy males (the preferred type for war) are not so hurt by sexism?
http://www.nationalvietnamveteransfoundation.org/statistics.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War_casualties

There are many other areas where males are worse off than females.
But the focus of feminism is typically not on these areas, & is instead on where females suffer.
So this is not entirely about equality for both genders in all areas.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Premium Member
If we consider the number of men v women killed in wars (with many men drafted unwillingly),
is it true that straight healthy males (the preferred type for war) are not so hurt by sexism?
http://www.nationalvietnamveteransfoundation.org/statistics.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War_casualties

There are many other areas where males are worse off than females.
But the focus of feminism is typically not on these areas, & is instead on where females suffer.
So this is not entirely about equality for both genders in all areas.

...you word this post as if you disagreed with me, but everything except those last two sentences seem to be in perfect agreement with what I said.

There's a reason I referenced the War Boys from Fury Road. Have you not seen it?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
To me their as bad as each other, its just that one is more stronger and therefore can be physically dangerous, and the other more emotionally dangerous, causing mental abuse.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
...you word this post as if you disagreed with me, but everything except those last two sentences seem to be in perfect agreement with what I said.
I really wanted to disagree with someone, but all I could find was
someone to add to (with a question)...that's where you come in
So I kept the tone.
There's a reason I referenced the War Boys from Fury Road. Have you not seen it?
I did miss it.
But good for you.....except that it takes some wind from my sails.
Gosh darn you for always being so even handed!

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I really wanted to disagree with someone, but all I could find was
someone to add to (with a question)...that's where you come in
So I kept the tone.

I know the feeling. LOL

I did miss it.
But good for you.....except that it takes some wind from my sails.
Gosh darn you for always being so even handed!

I try. :relaxed:

It's a pretty stimulating ride, and one of the most smartest, feminist-theme-heavy dumb action movies out there. Plus there's a truck that's literally powered by heavy metal.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I've been doing some reading and listening. There is Irina Dunn's statement that "A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle."which is the slogan of feminism. I've been seeing videos in which Feminists are hostile to men or anti-feminist females are speaking out against the hostility and intolerance of modern feminism.

So I was wondering what feminists on this board think.

I've seen videos in which Americans are hostile towards Mexicans so I've concluded that Americans are all about being hostile towards Mexicans.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I was merely remarking on the fact that while nearly all feminists point to equality as their fundamental goal, if you look at their behavior and rhetoric from an objective angle, many of them aren't actually concerned with equality, but of expansion of female rights and privilege exclusively.

Perhaps you'd like to name names and provide links to sources rather than vaguely suggest "many feminists" aren't actually concerned with equality, etc.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I think society will fall to pieces if we all see each other as separate, and better than each other, this is a childish way of living, be that, man or women.

TurkeyOnRye

Perhaps you'd like to name names and provide links to sources rather than vaguely suggest "many feminists" aren't actually concerned with equality, etc.

I gave my impression based on the available information. I posted a video--available on this page--that overturns core assumptions of male privilege. Sources for the data are available in said post. It's hard to make a case for patriarchy or male privilege when the evidence is absent or even runs contrary.

Last edited:

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Implanting any ideas in someones head is indoctrination.
Whether or not it is right or wrong is besides the point.
No, that's parenting. Anyone who thinks their kids aren't being shaped by their parents' modeling of society is dangerously deluding themselves. Either you are teaching tolerance or you aren't. You can be a good teacher or a crappy one, but you can't choose not to be a teacher - they'll learn whatever you show them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is interesting that a philosophical concept derived during the French Revolution that resulted in equal legal standing for all men, but did not give the same rights to women in its application, either in France or America. Where was egalitarianism when women couldn't vote?
All movements are a work in progress, eh.

Btw, it appears to have preceded the revolting Froggies.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I gave my impression based on the available information. I posted a video--available on this page--that overturns core assumptions of male privilege. Sources for the data are available in said post. It's hard to make a case for patriarchy or male privilege when the evidence is absent or even runs contrary.

Your video, according to you, talks about male privilege. That's a bit different issue than your notion that feminists want greater rights for women than they want for men. Please defend that statement please with sources and links -- or withdraw it.