• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How in the world can ANYBODY think the Jews and Christians have the same god, that Jesus is messiah?

Akivah

And to bring this thread to full circle. Posts 359 and 360 fully disagree with each others biblical interpretations. Thus as the OP asks, how can anyone think that Jews and Christians have the same G-d?

catch22

And to bring this thread to full circle. Posts 359 and 360 fully disagree with each others biblical interpretations. Thus as the OP asks, how can anyone think that Jews and Christians have the same G-d?

To this day, some people still don't consider the Phantom Menace Star Wars canon. Alas, it's still Star Wars.

Without having to beat the same horse again, it's clear historically one group has altered their meanings in order to remove the possibility of another group's canon.

Yes, I know, it's an reversible argument that can go on for another two thousand years. "You changed it!" "No you did!" "You have theological bias!" "No, you do!"

I love you guys. I'm cool with letting it stay thereabouts.

roger1440

I do stuff
I'm a Jewish Christian.

Do you have a nice succulent pineapple glazed honey ham for Christmas dinner?

pineapple%20ham.jpg

catch22

My boss was raised Christian but married a jewish lady and so now he's Jewish by marriage.

He eats bacon and pork at work with us, but not at home. You might say he plays the part he's supposed to amongst mixed company. Well, he bends over backward to keep that whole situation aligned, it's admirable, but you rarely get to see such an unevenly yolked couple go on like that.

His wife is pretty cranky overall. I'd be cranky if I couldn't eat bacon. They tried going to a mixed jewish service once, like a messianic jewish one, but apparently talking about Jesus was in fact the straw that broke the camel's back there.

Pink elephants in the room. I don't recommend them.

rosends

My boss was raised Christian but married a jewish lady and so now he's Jewish by marriage.

He eats bacon and pork at work with us, but not at home. You might say he plays the part he's supposed to amongst mixed company. Well, he bends over backward to keep that whole situation aligned, it's admirable, but you rarely get to see such an unevenly yolked couple go on like that.

His wife is pretty cranky overall. I'd be cranky if I couldn't eat bacon. They tried going to a mixed jewish service once, like a messianic jewish one, but apparently talking about Jesus was in fact the straw that broke the camel's back there.

Pink elephants in the room. I don't recommend them.
No one is "Jewish by marriage." It isn't a thing.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Do Jewish Christians even eat pork? I had a co worker once that told me he was half Jewish and half Christian. I asked him, "What's that mean, Jesus is half a Messiah?
I actually personally only know a couple of MJ's, and I know they don't eat pork, but how much they may represent most MJ's I cannot say.

BTW, remember that "Jewish" is a nationality, not a religion. However, where there is a connection is that if one converts to Judaism, they are considered as being Jewish as if they were born Jewish, and this is done to make sure they they are not designated as having an inferior status. It's sorta like "We are now family".

Akivah

There is no such thing. The husband is Christian and his wife is Jewish, it is called an inter-marriage. Neither have changed their religion.

He eats bacon and pork at work with us, but not at home.
Probably because his wife does all the cooking and she doesn't know how to cook pig meat.

Well, he bends over backward to keep that whole situation aligned, it's admirable, but you rarely get to see such an unevenly yolked couple go on like that.

How do you know what she's compromised for him? I doubt that he is the only person in the marriage that's bending.

They tried going to a mixed jewish service once, like a messianic jewish one, but apparently talking about Jesus was in fact the straw that broke the camel's back there.

There is no such thing as a mixed Jewish service. If it ain't fully Jewish, then it's gentile.

Are you saying that they have now divorced?

catch22

No one is "Jewish by marriage." It isn't a thing.

Whatever you say.

There is no such thing. The husband is Christian and his wife is Jewish, it is called an inter-marriage. Neither have changed their religion.

I said he was raised Christian, I didn't say he was a practicing Christian. In other words, he was raised protestant (but by his life testimony, I can attest to he didn't practice it much), but when married, learned to pray as Judaism taught him.

I do think if he had to respond to the question, "what is your religion?" he would answer Judaism. It's really between him and God, but when we pray together, we pray to God. Neither he nor I think they're a different God, for whatever it's worth.

He's probably not as "good" at Judaism as you guys are. I'll let you fall on that sword, though.

I don't feel comfortable speaking entirely on someone's behalf here. I brought it up merely as a comical aside to the other poster wondering about "half" Jews eating pork.

I see it's lost on you and rosends, like many things.

Probably because his wife does all the cooking and she doesn't know how to cook pig meat.

No, she abstains from pork. He does all of the cooking (as in, >95%). He can't have pork at home, so at work he has it. Nice assumption, though. It was kind of.. pig-headed :)

How do you know what she's compromised for him? I doubt that he is the only person in the marriage that's bending.

I suppose I don't entirely, it's a slippery slope delving into another's marriage, I try to steer clear. I see what I see. I work with her also, so I know them both pretty well.

I was referencing his bending to her faith in order to maintain his marriage with her (she doesn't bend, he does). Nothing more. You assume a lot.

There is no such thing as a mixed Jewish service. If it ain't fully Jewish, then it's gentile.

Whatever you say. I think most messianic Jews still consider themselves Jews. But, I'm not sure you get to decide any of that.

Alas, it's not my business nor even my interest to draw such lines. Romans 2:28-29 is my position on such matters. Feel free to abstain your position on that remark; I think I have a good idea of what it'll sound like.

Are you saying that they have now divorced?

They're still married, I never said they divorced.

Akivah

I said he was raised Christian, I didn't say he was a practicing Christian. In other words, he was raised protestant (but by his life testimony, I can attest to he didn't practice it much), but when married, learned to pray as Judaism taught him.

I do think if he had to respond to the question, "what is your religion?" he would answer Judaism.

He can also claim to be Phoenician, doesn't mean that he really is. To prove it, he would need documentation or other evidence.

From your description, he's a Christian who knows as much about Judaism as you do, which is to say, he knows nothing about Judaism. As a Christian, he worships the same idol that you worship.

roger1440

I do stuff
I actually personally only know a couple of MJ's, and I know they don't eat pork, but how much they may represent most MJ's I cannot say.

BTW, remember that "Jewish" is a nationality, not a religion. However, where there is a connection is that if one converts to Judaism, they are considered as being Jewish as if they were born Jewish, and this is done to make sure they they are not designated as having an inferior status. It's sorta like "We are now family".
If someone says they are half Jewish and half Christian, the Jewish half I assume would be the religion. One can not be half Polish and half republican

Harmonious

I'm a Jewish Christian. The silver finger I referred to isn't "creepy" but has been used a pointer in shul for hundreds of years. Sigh. Fixed:

How can anyone not think Jews and Christians (a sect of Judaism) do not have the same G_d?
If Jesus, in your belief system, is a "part" of God more significant than, say, I am, the deity you and I are worshiping isn't the same one.

Really. It's that simple.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If someone says they are half Jewish and half Christian, the Jewish half I assume would be the religion. One can not be half Polish and half republican
They would have to qualify in some way as to how they're using the term "Jewish". If they're observant in Judaism, they are bound by the Law, including the kosher Laws.

roger1440

I do stuff
They would have to qualify in some way as to how they're using the term "Jewish". If they're observant in Judaism, they are bound by the Law, including the kosher Laws.
Anyone who says they are half Jewish and half Christian is a nitwit. And I don't mean a half a nitwit, LOL.

Akivah

Anyone who says they are half Jewish and half Christian is a nitwit. And I don't mean a half a nitwit, LOL.

I personally know several couples in mixed marriages. In none of them, do the spouses identify as being half-a-religion. If anything, a few claim to be both, as in celebrating both religion's holidays.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
So you have a "finger" made out of silver in your heart which does something that no other finger does when used in the real world? I'll stick with "creepy."

Rosends,

The finger of G_d did the miracles in Egypt. Even the Egyptians acknowledged this.

Some synagogues use a finger pointer today to guide along the lines of text when reading. It is symbolic of the illuminating Spirit of G_d.

Jeremiah was told by G_d that we would have the flesh of our hearts circumcised by G_d so saying the finger of God illuminating my heart is creepy... is almost... creepy. :)