• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long did it take for intelligence to exist in the universe?

Richard Kastner

Is intelligence pre-universe, emergent or was the universe just born intelligent? What does the evidence suggest?

Intelligence started the instant God created it.
Genesis 1

1In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

shawn001

Intelligence started the instant God created it.
Genesis 1

1In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

except we know the genesis story is incorrect on its timeline.

Also at what stage in man's evolution would god have created man in "our" own image? There have been more then one homind on the planet in its history.

gnostic

The Lost One
idav said:
Good question. The universe started it all so when does intelligence come into play, is it inherent?

Are you just referring to any life-form? Or that of divine beings?

If the former than...

We only can know or at least determine/speculate life on Earth, and when intelligence developed here.

We have no way of knowing if there were intelligent life forms from other planets in the universe. We can on speculate on life in other planets other than our planet, but it totally futile exercise to speculate on "intelligent" life outside of Earth.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Are you just referring to any life-form? Or that of divine beings?

If the former than...

We only can know or at least determine/speculate life on Earth, and when intelligence developed here.

We have no way of knowing if there were intelligent life forms from other planets in the universe. We can on speculate on life in other planets other than our planet, but it totally futile exercise to speculate on "intelligent" life outside of Earth.
For the OP whether intelligence was inherent when the existence of the universe came or is just an emergent property is sufficient. Any intelligence whether it is this planet or others billions of years prior would happen in any case.

gnostic

The Lost One
idav said:
For the OP whether intelligence was inherent when the existence of the universe came or is just an emergent property is sufficient. Any intelligence whether it is this planet or others billions of years prior would happen in any case.

Well, in that case, we can not know, because we haven't yet discover any other intelligent life from other planets. And if we have not found one (yet) and we have no way in communicating with alien life, then we don't know their history or their current stages of evolutionary processes.

gnostic

The Lost One
shawn001 said:
someone show me something biological with intelligence without a nervous system?

Here you go, shawn001:

Casper_the_friendly_ghost_4604f42d4e883.gif

No nervous system at all.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I suspect that intelligence manifested itself in this universe soon after (In relative terms) the first life appeared.
We on earth , as a planet and as a life form, are late comers. We may be in no way typical in how we have developed.
Entire galaxies have come and gone since the formation of the universe. It is reasonable to suggest the same is true of intelligent life forms.

I rather doubt we would be considered intelligent by some much more advanced life.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
someone show me something biological with intelligence without a nervous system?

Far as I know protozoa and baterium have intelligence also plants have intelligence and have no need of a nervous system.

But then again intelligence is just an illusion anyway based off of determinism.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Well, in that case, we can not know, because we haven't yet discover any other intelligent life from other planets. And if we have not found one (yet) and we have no way in communicating with alien life, then we don't know their history or their current stages of evolutionary processes.
Do you basically think that intelligence came after the big bang?

idav

Being
Premium Member
I think a single brain cell shows signs of intelligence without the nervous system. As someone mentioned single celled organisms show some signs.