• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long did it take for intelligence to exist in the universe?

idav

Being
Premium Member
Again we would need to define intelligence better here.

Chemical reactions to stimuli and simple behaviors like plants and insects and then self awareness, abstract though, communication, reasoning, emotions, planning, reasoning, learning, and problem solving, in animals with a more developed higher nervous system.
When putting the criteria that high of course you end up trying to compare intelligence to that of a human. However, I believe that right as life begins that signs of intelligence are already emerging if only for the very fact that organisms are beginning to have their own wills.

shawn001

When putting the criteria that high of course you end up trying to compare intelligence to that of a human. However, I believe that right as life begins that signs of intelligence are already emerging if only for the very fact that organisms are beginning to have their own wills.

That is why we have to define it better here.

One cell or bacteria or even plants are not "intelligent" unless your using an extremely liberal interpretation of Intelligence, because they lack a more advanced nervous system and a way to process information. They react to certain aspects of their enviroment and stimuli chemically.

Part of early nerous system in evolution was the autonomic nervous system and the fight or flight responce.

This is from 2005

Intelligent bacteria?

Intelligent bacteria?

Insects like Ants and Bee's use chemical and electrial methods to communicate and the whole colony can work together with complex behaviors, but the intelligence say of a single ant is well, you know.

idav

Being
Premium Member
This is from 2005

Intelligent bacteria?

Intelligent bacteria?

Insects like Ants and Bee's use chemical and electrial methods to communicate and the whole colony can work together with complex behaviors, but the intelligence say of a single ant is well, you know.
Everything can be broken down further to just reactions to stimuli. When we take a step back we see an intelligent organism. While one singe neuron is intelligent with it's trillions of connections, it does take a network. Same as a bee and the hive, stepping back you see an intelligent colony with much more efficiency and strength.

shawn001

Lets go back to the origanl question

"How long did it take for intelligence to exist in the universe?"

We don't know because there could have been other life forms that evolved, before us.

In regards to earth, if all "life" shows "intelligence" then would you say cynobacteria that created the oxygen atmosphere we have today, 3.8 billion years ago was intelligent?

idav

Being
Premium Member
Lets go back to the origanl question

"How long did it take for intelligence to exist in the universe?"

We don't know because there could have been other life forms that evolved, before us.

In regards to earth, if all "life" shows "intelligence" then would you say cynobacteria that created the oxygen atmosphere we have today, 3.8 billion years ago was intelligent?
When a system emerges it is a sign of intelligence. It is the point that the system becomes purpose driven and with life that purpose is replicating and building to larger more complex functions. At what point do organisms really have their own will?

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
When a system emerges it is a sign of intelligence. It is the point that the system becomes purpose driven and with life that purpose is replicating and building to larger more complex functions. At what point do organisms really have their own will?
When they start computing stored data, not just reacting to stimuli.

shawn001

"When a system emerges it is a sign of intelligence"

Please explain the above?

"At what point do organisms really have their own will"

"really have their own will"

I think you might mean conciousness here, but maybe not.

Again, this leads us back to when they evolve and develop a nervous system.

idav

Being
Premium Member

Please explain the above?
It isn't us that is intelligent but the collection of our cells that are intelligent. If your to say that a cell is not intelligent then we aren't intelligent either. So to say that a neuron is no more intelligent than a cell located on my finger. They just have different jobs, don't discriminate, lol. When we see the system we see intelligence emerging like a colony of ants as another example that has been brought up.
"At what point do organisms really have their own will"

"really have their own will"

I think you might mean conciousness here, but maybe not.

Again, this leads us back to when they evolve and develop a nervous system.
I don't really mean consciousness but it may be related. At some point an organism acts rather than reacts and perhaps is able to think about what is being done. I'm attempting to illustrate that the basic functionality of our body isn't all that intelligent without the collective. Lifeforms are machines doing what they were born to do but intelligence is just a complex version of the machine like functions already possible in every cell.
What data is there for a cell to store?
Learning is always a good thing for an organism to be able to do. Read and write.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
It isn't us that is intelligent but the collection of our cells that are intelligent.
This doesn't sound coherent. What's "us", if not our collective cells?

Learning is always a good thing for an organism to be able to do. Read and write.
I wasn't aware single-celled organisms could learn except by natural selection.

shawn001

It isn't us that is intelligent but the collection of our cells that are intelligent. If your to say that a cell is not intelligent then we aren't intelligent either. So to say that a neuron is no more intelligent than a cell located on my finger. They just have different jobs, don't discriminate, lol. When we see the system we see intelligence emerging like a colony of ants as another example that has been brought up.

Our system evolved over a very long time. Read the transcript here and some other interesting things on that site.

NOVA | What Is Intelligence?

But you said

So that system didn't just emerge.

I don't really mean consciousness but it may be related. At some point an organism acts rather than reacts and perhaps is able to think about what is being done. I'm attempting to illustrate that the basic functionality of our body isn't all that intelligent without the collective. Lifeforms are machines doing what they were born to do but intelligence is just a complex version of the machine like functions already possible in every cell.

It is very related.

"At some point an organism acts rather than reacts and perhaps is able to think about what is being done.'

Then you need a nervous system and conciousness.

NOVA | The Electric Brain

Communication is very important. Then you start getting into cultural evolution.

Where do single cells store information?

If I take one neuron out of the system, can it think like the brain?

"like a colony of ants as another example that has been brought up."

Insects have a simple central nervous system.

The Nervous System

idav

Being
Premium Member
This doesn't sound coherent. What's "us", if not our collective cells?
We lose enough brain cells and the collective will not amount to as much as with a healthy brain.
I wasn't aware single-celled organisms could learn except by natural selection.
We know that natural selection isn't the only reason for life evolving.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Communication is very important. Then you start getting into cultural evolution.

Where do single cells store information?

If I take one neuron out of the system, can it think like the brain?
As the example above to poly. Kill enough brain cells and you know what can happen.

"like a colony of ants as another example that has been brought up."

Insects have a simple central nervous system.

The Nervous System
Yes but what I'm getting at is that a colony of ants is more intelligent and stronger than one single ant.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
We lose enough brain cells and the collective will not amount to as much as with a healthy brain.
Well, yeah. I never said anything about "us" being coherent. If you disassemble "us" of course it won't behave like "us" anymore.

We know that natural selection isn't the only reason for life evolving.
Since when?

idav

Being
Premium Member
Well, yeah. I never said anything about "us" being coherent. If you disassemble "us" of course it won't behave like "us" anymore.

Since when?
It doesn't take much for us to lose what we would call intelligence. I think intelligence is much more than passing human standardized tests. In the natural world intelligence is what keeps organisms alive, or not. More than just simple reaction to stimuli.

fishy

I tend to suspect, on a very regular basis, that Chief Engineer Scotty's skills are in constant demand.