• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long did it take for intelligence to exist in the universe?

shawn001

It doesn't take much for us to lose what we would call intelligence. I think intelligence is much more than passing human standardized tests. In the natural world intelligence is what keeps organisms alive, or not. More than just simple reaction to stimuli.

"More than just simple reaction to stimuli"

You keep saying this but haven't shown any real evidence on it.

There is a course a huge diffence between humans and the many specialized brain cells and advanced nervous system and one cell organisms or even multiple cell organisms with no nervous system.

An alien race could possibly come along and make us look pretty unintelligent.

idav

Being
Premium Member
"More than just simple reaction to stimuli"

You keep saying this but haven't shown any real evidence on it.

There is a course a huge diffence between humans and the many specialized brain cells and advanced nervous system and one cell organisms or even multiple cell organisms with no nervous system.

An alien race could possibly come along and make us look pretty unintelligent.
What I mean is that intelligence is more than passing written exams. Intelligence is one of many tools used that help organisms survive long enough to procreate.

garrydons

Is intelligence pre-universe, emergent or was the universe just born intelligent? What does the evidence suggest?

Are you referring to Someone who has intelligence or just intelligence? I found it weird that Intelligence exist by itself. There must be somebody who possess that intelligence. And if the universe existed then it must be because of intelligence.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Are you referring to Someone who has intelligence or just intelligence? I found it weird that Intelligence exist by itself. There must be somebody who possess that intelligence. And if the universe existed then it must be because of intelligence.
I'm not sure an intelligence can really control something as massive as the universe but the potential of power is certainly there.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
A powerful intelligence can control the whole universe. However, the only thing that intelligence could run on is the universe itself.

idav

Being
Premium Member
A powerful intelligence can control the whole universe. However, the only thing that intelligence could run on is the universe itself.
Potential energy from the big bang could destroy any intelligence.
The only "intelligence" by are measure we know of at the moment is on this planet.
This is true but do you figure intelligent life has arose in other planets prior to ours in the billions of years prior to the earth? I almost prefer to say that if life arose intelligence is there. At the point life arises matter is able to utilize energy for its own benefit.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Friend idav,

Personal understanding is that intelligence is eternal and evolving.

Love & rgds
I think in a way this is true and the evolving part is clue. Intelligence may be much different at it's basic form before it evolves the ability to look back at itself.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Idva, what intelligence do you know of off earth?
The Mars rover. :)

Seriously we don't know but I think the odds are in favor of intelligence existing prior to life arising on this planet. I also find the theory that earth was seeded (intentional or not) a very likely candidate.
That is along my line of thought. Personally, I'm still waiting for the emergence of intelligence in our system. :D
I see your criteria for intelligence is pretty stringent. I'm at least hopeful we will get there.

shawn001

The Mars rover. :)

Seriously we don't know but I think the odds are in favor of intelligence existing prior to life arising on this planet. I also find the theory that earth was seeded (intentional or not) a very likely candidate.

I see your criteria for intelligence is pretty stringent. I'm at least hopeful we will get there.

We have sent a lot of spacecraft out. You know that was not what I was talking about. The rover gets its signals from earth. So your saying "metal" by itself is intelligent?

"Seriously we don't know but I think the odds are in favor of intelligence existing prior to life arising on this planet."

"I also find the theory that earth was seeded (intentional or not) a very likely candidate."

Both are certainly possible. But again no proof as of yet. Even if the earth was seeded by say organics from, things still evolved a basic nervous system around 550 million years ago here on earth.