• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many atheists do you know personally?

Gomeza

You would think that anyone offering an opinion on what are considered the common traits of a group of people would have some real life examples to derive their information from. Either that, or acknowledge that they know little of the subject and decline from offering an opinion but that does not seem to happen when atheists are being discussed by some religious folks.

Of the few recent threads discussing this subject right here on this very forum, it wasn't long before a long laundry list of of negative characteristics were being ascribed to all atheists. All of these common traits seemingly derived from a negative stereotype that so many people can describe with surprisingly similar details.

There are more than a few problems with this scenario however. First and foremost is attempting to construct a list of commonalities for a group of people who's only common trait is that they do not believe in God. It stops there, anything beyond that is a generalization inevitably rife with inaccuracies.

With a few exceptions, atheists do not cloister in associative groups, there are no associative philosophies or any specific scientific principles that can be ascribed to atheists. There are no identifiable social patterns whatsoever, yet somehow some religious folks know all about them . . . . my question is how? As in how does someone who is a religious adherent know all of these things? As a rule you will not find too many atheists involved with church social life.

So to those who have offered their opinions on the common traits of atheists, I ask how many atheists do you know? . . . or if you prefer: how large is the sampling that you are basing your opinion on?

If you do not know any personally, then what are you basing your opinion on?

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Personally I know 3 all are very good people not fitting a stero type at all.

On the RF I know to many to count most promoting the stero type very well. I doubt they are the same in person because I would be reading about them on the internet if they were.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
So to those who have offered their opinions on the common traits of atheists, I ask how many atheists do you know? . . . or if you prefer: how large is the sampling that you are basing your opinion on?

If you do not know any personally, then what are you basing your opinion on?

Almost all my friends (I have a couple of theist friends as well), and, considering that I live in Norway, most of the people I meet. ;)

Oh, and a little update from the cold north: Norway has recently decided to not have a state church any more.
Not that it mattered much before since they really had no power and very little influence, but as a secular state a unison of our governing parties decided to make the separation official.
So from now on there will only be the Church of Norway that exists on the same level as any other religious organisation. :D

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
Well, depending on how we define "knoe them personally". I´ve known a few, 4 that I remember just now, without trying to really get into it.

Of this 4, 3 do believe in supernaturals, but they just dont believe in God

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't go around asking people about their religion, so I honestly have no idea. Of those whose religions I know, none of them are.

Me Myself

Back to my username
BTW: Of the 4 atheists I know, 5 of them eat babies . (the last one is reaaaly fat. Probably because of all the baby eating. Or maybe he just likes the babies that are fatter. If I´d have to say which, I´d say a little of both)

Gomeza

Almost all my friends (I have a couple of theist friends as well), and, considering that I live in Norway, most of the people I meet. ;)

Oh, and a little update from the cold north: Norway has recently decided to not have a state church any more.
Not that it mattered much before since they really had no power and very little influence, but as a secular state a unison of our governing parties decided to make the separation official.
So from now on there will only be the Church of Norway that exists on the same level as any other religious organisation. :D

Who do I speak to about immigrating there?

Gomeza

BTW: Of the 4 atheists I know, 5 of them eat babies . (the last one is reaaaly fat. Probably because of all the baby eating. Or maybe he just likes the babies that are fatter. If I´d have to say which, I´d say a little of both)

Baby eating has simply gotten out of hand since the Austin Powers movies came out.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Who do I speak to about immigrating there?

These guys: UDI: Norwegian Directorate of Immigration

Oh, and we've had a consistent unemployment rate of about just 3% for the last few years, so if you have any marketable skills at all, I'm sure you'll do fine. ;)

The language barrier shouldn't be much of a problem either seeing as you are from Canada.
All Norwegians below the age of 60 and most of the ones above speak a decent English, although, of course, should you choose to stay for an extended period it would serve you well to learn Norwegian.

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't like to talk about people. I don't know how many atheists I have known- quite a few. Some of them I was friends with, some I dated, and others I couldn't stand to be around. I never counted them or anything. I am not sure what any of them thought of my faith- I didn't ask and they didn't offer any opinions. :)

waitasec

Veteran Member
I don't like to talk about people. I don't know how many atheists I have known- quite a few. Some of them I was friends with, some I dated, and others I couldn't stand to be around. I never counted them or anything. I am not sure what any of them thought of my faith- I didn't ask and they didn't offer any opinions. :)

as the world turns...
:)

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
I was never able to count'm.
Too many.....& they're shifty.

They're easy to spot too. Usually found gnawing on a baby leg or talking about having given their soul to Satan. :p

Frankly, I don't know the religion of 99% of the people I work with and most of my friends and family. Why? Because it's none of my business just as my religious beliefs and activities are none of theirs.

The usually the ones I do know are the obnoxious ones trying to convert me in one direction or the other.

Gomeza

They're easy to spot too. Usually found gnawing on a baby leg or talking about having given their soul to Satan. :p

Frankly, I don't know the religion of 99% of the people I work with and most of my friends and family. Why? Because it's none of my business just as my religious beliefs and activities are none of theirs.

The usually the ones I do know are the obnoxious ones trying to convert me in one direction or the other.

In the first sentence you are obviously joking but what about the last sentence, is that a joke as well?

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
No. Most people keep their beliefs to themselves, so I have no way of knowing they are an atheist, a Buddhist, Christian, etc unless they tell me. Some may wear pentagrams, crosses, etc, but that isn't always a sign of firm religious beliefs.

The only way to know for sure is if they tell me and the one who do that most often are those seeking to convert me to their beliefs.

Me Myself

Back to my username
This thread remembers me:

all-men-are-the-same-you-must-have-tried-them-all-thumb.jpg

Just that with atheists :D

Gomeza

No. Most people keep their beliefs to themselves, so I have no way of knowing they are an atheist, a Buddhist, Christian, etc unless they tell me. Some may wear pentagrams, crosses, etc, but that isn't always a sign of firm religious beliefs.

The only way to know for sure is if they tell me and the one who do that most often are those seeking to convert me to their beliefs.

I see, I misread your first comment. That has been my experience as well in terms of knowing the beliefs of people that I do not know that well.