• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many atheists do you know personally?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't inquire about religion since I don't see much good come from that sort of inquiry.
People can be emotional. I'm not going to bring up fundamental beliefs of people that I have to work with in the office. Sometimes they bring it up in a conversation, and I'll participate to a degree, but I see little reason to get too involved. I don't mind answering if people ask me. One worker asked me if I was an atheist, I said yeah basically, but that I don't know what definition he's operating on when he asks.
:
I don't mind talking about philosophy, religion, or politics with anyone if they bring it up with me in a conversation, but I see little benefit from bringing anything like that up myself.
Well, it isn't for everyone.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't have anything like that to relate to. Such is the reality of semi-retirement. Before sitting on my laurels I escaped the Christian enclave I live smack dab in the middle of by simply going to work. My work was factory automation, an industry almost completely manned by atheists.

Subsequently religion was seldomly discussed, no one was interested. If a client ever brought it up it was dealt with in an almost abrupt manner. It was as if they all had simultaneously come to the conclusion that the question of who was driving this bus was unanswerable and because of this would potentially drain too much brainpower when there was ladder logic to write. To me it was bliss.

I find it difficult now spending day after day surrounded by only people who have drunk the Kool-aid.
I don't mind working with a diverse group of people. I like most of my co-workers, and get along with all of them.

When I worked with ladder logic, I didn't particularly know the religions or lackthereof of any co-workers. But I only worked there for a few months.

Wannabe Yogi

You would think that anyone offering an opinion on what are considered the common traits of a group of people would have some real life examples to derive their information from. Either that, or acknowledge that they know little of the subject and decline from offering an opinion but that does not seem to happen when atheists are being discussed by some religious folks.

Of the few recent threads discussing this subject right here on this very forum, it wasn't long before a long laundry list of of negative characteristics were being ascribed to all atheists. All of these common traits seemingly derived from a negative stereotype that so many people can describe with surprisingly similar details.

There are more than a few problems with this scenario however. First and foremost is attempting to construct a list of commonalities for a group of people who's only common trait is that they do not believe in God. It stops there, anything beyond that is a generalization inevitably rife with inaccuracies.

With a few exceptions, atheists do not cloister in associative groups, there are no associative philosophies or any specific scientific principles that can be ascribed to atheists. There are no identifiable social patterns whatsoever, yet somehow some religious folks know all about them . . . . my question is how? As in how does someone who is a religious adherent know all of these things? As a rule you will not find too many atheists involved with church social life.

So to those who have offered their opinions on the common traits of atheists, I ask how many atheists do you know? . . . or if you prefer: how large is the sampling that you are basing your opinion on?

If you do not know any personally, then what are you basing your opinion on?

I know about 15 atheists well, maybe 5 more superficially.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
The underlying subtlety of this particular question being that atheists comprise a small segment of society in general, it is not likely in our current social paradigm that an individual who emanates from a religious community knows very many atheists. The posts in this thread for the most part bear this out and generally it was not viewed as you are viewing it (with one prior exception).
Many of you from North America make it sound as if you are all living in a rural medieval environment. People in Canada or the US don't know very many atheists?
well I am just going to have to take you guys word that atheists are an endangered species where all of you live, a rarity of nature.

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
My company is a tad unconventional.
We all get along better than most.

Good for you, but that is my point. Most people don't know other people's religious beliefs at work because 1) it is inappropriate at the workplace and 2) none of their business.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Good for you, but that is my point. Most people don't know other people's religious beliefs at work because 1) it is inappropriate at the workplace and 2) none of their business.
Business isn't just about business at my business.
But we're a small operation, so I get to set the tone.

I have also worked at companies with a less "liberal" atmosphere.
Yet I still managed to ferret out peoples' religions....& a good time was had by all.

Many of you from North America make it sound as if you are all living in a rural medieval environment. People in Canada or the US don't know very many atheists?
well I am just going to have to take you guys word that atheists are an endangered species where all of you live, a rarity of nature.
We heathens are a pandemic in the US, even if we aren't always obvious.
But it appears that many people are reluctant to discuss religion, so they're largely unaware of the philosophical & religious affiliations of those around them.
Sounds boring to me.

Last edited:

mycorrhiza

I would say that at least 50% of everyone I know is an atheist, but I don't have any official statistics on that.

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
I would say that at least 50% of everyone I know is an atheist, but I don't have any official statistics on that.

....and I'm sure they all love you for it. :D

which reminds me of a joke. How do you tell there is a Texan at your party?

Don't worry, he'll tell you.

Gomeza

The answers given in this thread seem to bear out a common theme. Atheists are not a visible minority with only public opinion polls giving us some indication of how many exist in our societies. The results of these polls vary and are inevitably skewed by a reality that may not exist (or no longer exists) in your society. That being the risks involved in outing one's self as an atheist amongst a much larger believing majority.

Just 10 years ago it would have been unthinkable for me to declare non belief as it would have likely put me out of business back then.

This reality is however an aside to the point of this thread. With so many people offering their opinions of common characteristics amongst atheists in this forum, I felt it was a fair question to ask in general terms how many real life examples these opinions were based on.