• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many atheists do you know personally?

Gomeza

I only know one atheist in real life. I suspect there are more, but atheists tend not to talk much about their religious beliefs since there's just not that much to say. :D

As for stereotypes, my parents believe my moral character is suspect and that I can't quite be trusted due to my atheism. That's pretty irritating.

I'm sensing that the experience you describe is quite common. Another reason I have found for atheists keeping their non belief to themselves is that it is not always safe to speak up.

For years I sold machinery to a local Mennonite community and where religion was never discussed, innocuous subtle references to God took place in conversation frequently. I have to admit in answering with more than one insincere hallelujah over the years. As I was being tolerated as an outsider, it always seemed prudent not mention non belief.

Spiralz

I have met a couple of Atheist in my life and I can honestly say they were a pleasure to be around. A lot of churches think they know everything about Atheist but don't do there homework at all. I respect Atheism in that I think it takes more faith to believe there isn't a God then that There is one. Religious people normally turn to the book they are reading to get incite for things in which they do not understand. They also forget that there god gave them a brain to use in these situations. I hear all the time at church things said that people just shake there head yes and believe even when they could do there homework and decide on what they believe it means to them instead of believing what the church norm said. That is when I start making the BAAAHHHH sound that none of them understand of course. I guess there both blind and deaf sheep.

Sgloom

i assume alot of my friends are either atheist or agnostic to some extent, but its hard to tell sometimes since its not something thats discussed. its easier to point out a christian since the ones in my life talk about it alot. most people dont realize im an atheist and would probably never guess it unless i told them specifically, i have no reason to go around telling people my personal beliefs. thats why i come to the forums, it feels like a safe place to discuss these sort of things

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
How about this for food for thought...everyone is an athiest in some aspect to God. Most believers don't believe in Zues or Thor anymore, so you are an athiest in that aspect...the only real difference between me and a christian or Muslim is that I believe in one less god than they do.

Gomeza

I have met a couple of Atheist in my life and I can honestly say they were a pleasure to be around. A lot of churches think they know everything about Atheist but don't do there homework at all. I respect Atheism in that I think it takes more faith to believe there isn't a God then that There is one. Religious people normally turn to the book they are reading to get incite for things in which they do not understand. They also forget that there god gave them a brain to use in these situations. I hear all the time at church things said that people just shake there head yes and believe even when they could do there homework and decide on what they believe it means to them instead of believing what the church norm said. That is when I start making the BAAAHHHH sound that none of them understand of course. I guess there both blind and deaf sheep.

If there is a generalizations that can be applied to atheism it is that most people arrive at non belief as a conclusion after being exposed to some type of religious dogma. My experiences tell me that a certain type of analytical mind is more likely to arrive at this conclusion but I am the first to admit attempting to ascribe commonalities from a handful of people to a larger group is rife with potential inadequacies.

I got a bit of a chuckle out of envisioning your sitting in a church group making sheep noises and I agree that a little bit of homework or research is so easy to do in this day and age. It is troubling that some misconceptions prevail in spite of this.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The Stephen Roberts quote is more than a little clever until given adequate consideration, after which it becomes recognizable as little more than word play.

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
The Stephen Roberts quote is more than a little clever until given adequate consideration, after which it becomes recognizable as little more than word play.

Please explain how this is clever word play? Someone suggesting
Everyone is an atheist to every other god but their own is not word play, it's a pretty good observation.

Gomeza

i assume alot of my friends are either atheist or agnostic to some extent, but its hard to tell sometimes since its not something thats discussed. its easier to point out a christian since the ones in my life talk about it alot. most people dont realize im an atheist and would probably never guess it unless i told them specifically, i have no reason to go around telling people my personal beliefs. thats why i come to the forums, it feels like a safe place to discuss these sort of things

Discussing one's beliefs online should provide the safety of anonymity. You will find that any real discussion however is fairly rare, still, there is some insight to be gained. For example I cannot think of another scenario where I would have a dialogue exchange with members of some of the religions I have encountered here.

Gomeza

How about this for food for thought...everyone is an athiest in some aspect to God. Most believers don't believe in Zues or Thor anymore, so you are an athiest in that aspect...the only real difference between me and a christian or Muslim is that I believe in one less god than they do.

I've used that closing line a few times, usually modifying it to something like: "My values are virtually the same as yours are, I simply believe in one less God than you do"

It comes in handy when part of one's family are fundamentalists who truly believe that all non believers are evil incarnate.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
About half of the people I am familiar with are not theists. I don't ask anyone's religion, but people draw it out of each other in conversation, or talk about going to church often, or bring it up to me and ask me what I am.

This is just an approximation. For some people I know, I don't know what they are, so I can only estimate total numbers.

I only know one atheist in real life. I suspect there are more, but atheists tend not to talk much about their religious beliefs since there's just not that much to say. :D

As for stereotypes, my parents believe my moral character is suspect and that I can't quite be trusted due to my atheism. That's pretty irritating.
My parents don't particularly know my position on religion, mainly because I don't tell them, and they haven't asked specific questions. They only know a few things that I'm not- like I don't go to church, for example.

But one of the conversations was:
Father: Do you go to church?
Me: No.
Father: Why not?
Me: Why would I?
Father: You're not an atheist are you???

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
You would think that anyone offering an opinion on what are considered the common traits of a group of people would have some real life examples to derive their information from. Either that, or acknowledge that they know little of the subject and decline from offering an opinion but that does not seem to happen when atheists are being discussed by some religious folks.

Of the few recent threads discussing this subject right here on this very forum, it wasn't long before a long laundry list of of negative characteristics were being ascribed to all atheists. All of these common traits seemingly derived from a negative stereotype that so many people can describe with surprisingly similar details.
This is an amazing case of selective reading. Because the same antagonizing is addressed at believers. Personally I wish people could join the forum on their spare time, enjoy a cup of coffee, and discuss as adults. The whole believers are so and so, or atheists are this and that comes in the way for the rest of us to hold a discussion.

There are more than a few problems with this scenario however. First and foremost is attempting to construct a list of commonalities for a group of people who's only common trait is that they do not believe in God. It stops there, anything beyond that is a generalization inevitably rife with inaccuracies.

With a few exceptions, atheists do not cloister in associative groups, there are no associative philosophies or any specific scientific principles that can be ascribed to atheists. There are no identifiable social patterns whatsoever, yet somehow some religious folks know all about them . . . . my question is how? As in how does someone who is a religious adherent know all of these things? As a rule you will not find too many atheists involved with church social life.

So to those who have offered their opinions on the common traits of atheists, I ask how many atheists do you know? . . . or if you prefer: how large is the sampling that you are basing your opinion on?

If you do not know any personally, then what are you basing your opinion on?
I'm not a religious person. As an atheist I am not always impressed by atheist members. Some of them show the same mentality of the religious people they complain about. In real life, most of my friends, if not all of my friends are atheists, it's not like they don't criticize religious issues. But no one is interested in listning to rants.
I find your thread absurd, because I've been watching believers categorize atheists, and atheists categorize believers. Its about time that in both cases those members understood that some of us come to discuss world religion for the sake of discussion. We are not interested in preaching, from either side.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm shocked at how pervasive it is to not openly discuss religion with others. But then, normal people (most of youz guyz) seem so odd to me.
I often inquire about religion, so I've a good idea what my acquaintances believe. It has always interesting & pleasant, so I do this regularly.
Just in my office alone, we have 4 atheists & one deist today. Two of the atheists are former Catholics. Three of us are Hundredtarians
(those who really really like $100 bills). What is more interesting than to discuss religion & politics? Why limit it to internet forums?

Gomeza

This is an amazing case of selective reading. Because the same antagonizing is addressed at believers. Personally I wish people could join the forum on their spare time, enjoy a cup of coffee, and discuss as adults. The whole believers are so and so, or atheists are this and that comes in the way for the rest of us to hold a discussion.

I'm not a religious person. As an atheist I am not always impressed by atheist members. Some of them show the same mentality of the religious people they complain about. In real life, most of my friends, if not all of my friends are atheists, it's not like they don't criticize religious issues. But no one is interested in listning to rants.
I find your thread absurd, because I've been watching believers categorize atheists, and atheists categorize believers. Its about time that in both cases those members understood that some of us come to discuss world religion for the sake of discussion. We are not interested in preaching, from either side.

If you consider this thread absurd or a rant, I feel you have missed the point entirely. Judging by the fact that you are using all encompassing terms you may have also missed the qualifier I used twice (some religious folks) to emphasize that I was not speaking of an entire group. Where there is no disputing that there are unfair characterizations used by some people of all beliefs towards others of differing beliefs, to ask one group guilty of this behavior how large a sampling they are using to arrive at their opinions, is by any standards a fair question.

The underlying subtlety of this particular question being that atheists comprise a small segment of society in general, it is not likely in our current social paradigm that an individual who emanates from a religious community knows very many atheists. The posts in this thread for the most part bear this out and generally it was not viewed as you are viewing it (with one prior exception).

Last edited:

Jove

<Predator>
You would think that anyone offering an opinion on what are considered the common traits of a group of people would have some real life examples to derive their information from. Either that, or acknowledge that they know little of the subject and decline from offering an opinion but that does not seem to happen when atheists are being discussed by some religious folks.

Of the few recent threads discussing this subject right here on this very forum, it wasn't long before a long laundry list of of negative characteristics were being ascribed to all atheists. All of these common traits seemingly derived from a negative stereotype that so many people can describe with surprisingly similar details.

There are more than a few problems with this scenario however. First and foremost is attempting to construct a list of commonalities for a group of people who's only common trait is that they do not believe in God. It stops there, anything beyond that is a generalization inevitably rife with inaccuracies.

With a few exceptions, atheists do not cloister in associative groups, there are no associative philosophies or any specific scientific principles that can be ascribed to atheists. There are no identifiable social patterns whatsoever, yet somehow some religious folks know all about them . . . . my question is how? As in how does someone who is a religious adherent know all of these things? As a rule you will not find too many atheists involved with church social life.

So to those who have offered their opinions on the common traits of atheists, I ask how many atheists do you know? . . . or if you prefer: how large is the sampling that you are basing your opinion on?

If you do not know any personally, then what are you basing your opinion on?
Not just atheists, Ex-Christians too! We are all after all pagans, pagans is a derogatory term for non-believers and believers of different gods. I suspect that Pagans knew too much, during the time space between when the life of Jesus approximated and when the scrolls were created and when the bible was written/re-written pagans (the 40 some historians of that era) knew that Jesus never existed. This is why a fake history of Christian persecution was created, Christians could not justify the systematic eradication of so many without having a good reason…and what better reason is there than self-defense? So works then, works now for Christianity…we are the enemy and education is their opponent as scribed in their bylaws. Did the men who Jesus used to preach His gospel - men who were, "uneducated and untrained men" - seek to change those characteristics, or teach others to become educated and trained? (Acts 4:13) Why did Jesus say, "I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." (Mark 10:15)
Conclusion, I expect to have my account deleted after these remarks….: ) :cool:

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
I'm shocked at how pervasive it is to not openly discuss religion with others. But then, normal people (most of youz guyz) seem so odd to me.
I often inquire about religion, so I've a good idea what my acquaintances believe. It has always interesting & pleasant, so I do this regularly.
Just in my office alone, we have 4 atheists & one deist today. Two of the atheists are former Catholics. Three of us are Hundredtarians
(those who really really like $100 bills). What is more interesting than to discuss religion & politics? Why limit it to internet forums?

Didn't you say you were a Libertarian who owned his own business? The offices and work places I've been associated with would consider such discussions to be inappropriate for the workplace and possibly harassment or creating a hostile work environment.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Didn't you say you were a Libertarian who owned his own business? The offices and work places I've been associated with would consider such discussions to be inappropriate for the workplace and possibly harassment or creating a hostile work environment.
My company is a tad unconventional.
We all get along better than most.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't inquire about religion since I don't see much good come from that sort of inquiry.

People can be emotional. I'm not going to bring up fundamental beliefs of people that I have to work with in the office. Sometimes they bring it up in a conversation, and I'll participate to a degree, but I see little reason to get too involved. I don't mind answering if people ask me. One worker asked me if I was an atheist, I said yeah basically, but that I don't know what definition he's operating on when he asks.

-One worker is a fundamentalist Christian, and separately, also a very emotional and disturbed person. So people don't want to bring anything religious up with him.
-One worker is a moderate Christian raised by a fundamentalist Christian family. He brings up political or religious discussions sometimes, or other discussions, and gets offended.
-One is a devout Catholic.
-We had a Hindu worker, with pictures of what I believe are Krishna, in her car. And a strict diet of vegetarianism and periodic fasts for religious purposes.
-We have several atheist or agnostic workers.
-We have some for which I do not know; they never talk about it and don't seem to consider it important.
-We have an eastern orthodox Christian.
-One guy has said he goes to church, so I guess he's some form of Christian, but it could be UU or something else too.
-One is a deist, I think.

I don't mind talking about philosophy, religion, or politics with anyone if they bring it up with me in a conversation, but I see little benefit from bringing anything like that up myself.

Gomeza

I don't inquire about religion since I don't see much good come from that sort of inquiry.

People can be emotional. I'm not going to bring up fundamental beliefs of people that I have to work with in the office. Sometimes they bring it up in a conversation, and I'll participate to a degree, but I see little reason to get too involved. I don't mind answering if people ask me. One worker asked me if I was an atheist, I said yeah basically, but that I don't know what definition he's operating on when he asks.

-One worker is a fundamentalist Christian, and separately, also a very emotional and disturbed person. So people don't want to bring anything religious up with him.
-One worker is a moderate Christian raised by a fundamentalist Christian family. He brings up political or religious discussions sometimes, or other discussions, and gets offended.
-One is a devout Catholic.
-We had a Hindu worker, with pictures of what I believe are Krishna, in her car. And a strict diet of vegetarianism and periodic fasts for religious purposes.
-We have several atheist or agnostic workers.
-We have some for which I do not know; they never talk about it and don't seem to consider it important.
-We have an eastern orthodox Christian.
-One guy has said he goes to church, so I guess he's some form of Christian, but it could be UU or something else too.
-One is a deist, I think.

I don't mind talking about philosophy, religion, or politics with anyone if they bring it up with me in a conversation, but I see little benefit from bringing anything like that up myself.

I don't have anything like that to relate to. Such is the reality of semi-retirement. Before sitting on my laurels I escaped the Christian enclave I live smack dab in the middle of by simply going to work. My work was factory automation, an industry almost completely manned by atheists.

Subsequently religion was seldomly discussed, no one was interested. If a client ever brought it up it was dealt with in an almost abrupt manner. It was as if they all had simultaneously come to the conclusion that the question of who was driving this bus was unanswerable and because of this would potentially drain too much brainpower when there was ladder logic to write. To me it was bliss.

I find it difficult now spending day after day surrounded by only people who have drunk the Kool-aid.