• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many atheists do you know personally?

ArtieE

Almost all my friends (I have a couple of theist friends as well), and, considering that I live in Norway, most of the people I meet. ;)
I live in Norway too and I second that... :)
Oh, and a little update from the cold north: Norway has recently decided to not have a state church any more.
Not that it mattered much before since they really had no power and very little influence, but as a secular state a unison of our governing parties decided to make the separation official.
So from now on there will only be the Church of Norway that exists on the same level as any other religious organisation. :D
Thanks for the good news I didn't know that... :)

ArtieE

Who do I speak to about immigrating there?
"The United Nation Development Programme (UNDP) released its 2009 Human Development Report, and ranked 182 countries in terms of the quality of life of their citizens, or the UN Human Development Index (HDI)."

"Top 30 on Human Development Index Ranking
1. Norway
2. Australia
3. Iceland
4. Canada
5. Ireland"

Best Countries to live in

Norway is the most secular country in Western Europe. If you come, please don't bring any religion with you... :)

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
"The United Nation Development Programme (UNDP) released its 2009 Human Development Report, and ranked 182 countries in terms of the quality of life of their citizens, or the UN Human Development Index (HDI)."

1. Norway
2. Australia
3. Iceland
4. Canada
5. Ireland"

Norway is the most secular country in Western Europe. If you come, please don't bring any religion with you... :)

Norway has ranked in the top three on just about all such rankings for decades. :D

Gomeza

1. Norway
2. Australia
3. Iceland
4. Canada
5. Ireland"

No worries there, I jest about moving to another country to escape the religious folks I am surrounded by because I live in a unique area and situation in Canada. Freedom of religious expression is alive and well where I live but though this may sound like a desirable ideal to some, it is a major nuisance to a large segment of the populace here.

I always found it interesting that the most secular countries in the west afford their citizens the best quality of life but unfortunately this fact is lost on those in our societies who would impose their beliefs on us.

Gomeza

Mostly everyone I talk to on a personal level is an atheist and surprisingly, we don’t eat babies.

I can say the same. All people have a tendency to consciously or even subconsciously seek the company of people of like mind, associates they feel comfortable with. Though I do have friends who are religious types (inescapable in my country), they either understand that I'm not buying what they are selling or the association ends abruptly.

Of all of my associates, probably numbering upwards of 2 dozen, most of whom are atheists, every last one of them are model citizens. A high level of integrity is the norm amongst this group.

This makes me wonder where the stereotypical evil incarnate atheist religious folks are so eager to throw up as examples actually live? I have never met one. They can't all be simply regurgitating religious propaganda can they?

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
No worries there, I jest about moving to another country to escape the religious folks I am surrounded by because I live in a unique area and situation in Canada. Freedom of religious expression is alive and well where I live but though this may sound like a desirable ideal to some, it is a major nuisance to a large segment of the populace here.

I always found it interesting that the most secular countries in the west afford their citizens the best quality of life but unfortunately this fact is lost on those in our societies who would impose their beliefs on us.

In Norway religion is considered kinda unimportant to most people.
About 70% register as atheist/non-religious and most people don't care or want to hear about religion.
It's simply a non-issue most of the time because just about everyone recognizes that religion has nothing useful to say on things like laws and education.

In fact, being a devout religious person and doing things like going to church every Sunday is considered a bit weird around here. ;)
But it is equally recognized that religion is a private matter and that everyone is free to follow (or not follow as the case may be) whatever religion they want.

One thing we do take seriously though, is freedom of speech, and it is rightfully considered to be essential for a working democracy.
In fact, to avoid making money for campaigning too much of an issue we have all but banned political commercials on TV, and if you decide to start your own political party the state will help you do that by providing you with funding based on how many members your party has.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Of the few recent threads discussing this subject right here on this very forum, it wasn't long before a long laundry list of of negative characteristics were being ascribed to all atheists.
This makes me wonder where the stereotypical evil incarnate atheist religious folks are so eager to throw up as examples actually live?

I guess we should file this under: One good stereotype deserves another. :D

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
What is the matter with you? This is the third time you have thrown a potshot in my direction.
Whine less.

This is a third time that I've thrown a question in your direction ... and the third time that you've evaded it. Petulant name calling makes the evasion no less obvious. Now:
  • if, indeed, "it wasn't long before a long laundry list of of negative characteristics were being ascribed to all atheists", and
  • if, indeed, it wasn't simply some atypical comment by one or two individuals, then ...
... you should have little trouble referencing those posts. Otherwise, your making a false, derrogatory characterization of the theists on the forum.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
RF just wouldn't be the same without Jay's heckling and taking of potshots....:p
220px-Banana-Single.jpg

:kissbette

Gomeza

Whine less.

This is a third time that I've thrown a question in your direction ... and the third time that you've evaded it. Petulant name calling makes the evasion no less obvious.
Really? Maybe you could enlighten us all as to where the questions are in the following comments:
Same way I handle aggressive agnostics: I rant against pretentious dogmatism.

Oh, well, our snarling Gomeza has gone offline, perhaps to further indoctrinate himself regarding the destructive child rearing techniques typical of theists or, perhaps, simply to hunt for salmon. One can't deduce too much from an avatar. Let's just hope that he's learned that being simultaneously an intelligent theist and a decent, responsible parent is not all that much of a miracle after all.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Now:
  • if, indeed, "it wasn't long before a long laundry list of of negative characteristics were being ascribed to all atheists", and
  • if, indeed, it wasn't simply some atypical comment by one or two individuals, then ...
... you should have little trouble referencing those posts. Otherwise, your making a false, derrogatory characterization of the theists on the forum.
The comments were atypical (I hope your hair didn't get messed up when that point flew over your head) but by far more than one or two individuals.

It was a nice try on your part however, trying to make a juvenile potshot look like a legitimate objection. As for linking to particular threads: take your pick, there is something objectionable in just about every thread dealing with a subject matter of atheism throughout this forum (keeping in mind that more objectionable material has been removed by staff)

We cannot always control the perceptions instilled by our posted words but I am willing to clarify if asked . . . to assume the intention of others without asking for that clarification is quite often nothing more than whining . . . oops, that was your line.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I only know one atheist in real life. I suspect there are more, but atheists tend not to talk much about their religious beliefs since there's just not that much to say. :D

As for stereotypes, my parents believe my moral character is suspect and that I can't quite be trusted due to my atheism. That's pretty irritating.