• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many smokers do we have?

How many smokers do we have on the Forum?

• I used to smoke heavily, but I quit

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • I used to smoke the odd one, but I quit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still smoke the odd one, it won't hurt, in moderation

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • I'm really a chimney trying to pass itself off as a human being

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Smoking what, Moi? - Never

Votes: 22 51.2%

• Total voters

someunbeliever

Luke Wolf said:
I am desperatly looking for an alternative to calm down. I tried buying a big bag Halls cough drops, hoping the menthol in those would help, while it did help cravings a bit, it just didn't help my stress.
I found that Brewer's Yeast worked for me when i was cutting down years ago, although it could be a placebo, as i quit 6 and a half years ago, without it's help (although i did substitute Scotch Mints in place of the pack of cigs in my pocket... for about 5 months after quitting.. and those are much easier to quit.)

The fun thing i found after quitting was that the energy level DOES rise, so any stress level will feel like its powerful, but i found it to be useful in getting things done, and it helped me organize my time in the day better as well, which in turn cut down on the stress.

Hope any of these tips can help smokers quit... trust me when i say, that you CAN get by without them, and after you DO quit, you have done something that MILLIONS of people around the world CAN NOT do... yet! ;)

Good luck all!

Seán

Elizabeth

michel said:
I may be out of line, but do you honestly want to stop smoking ?
No, you are not out of line. I really enjoy a smoke and I am not sure if I want to give them up. Of course part of me do (I feel like a second class citizen some times) and then there's the other part that says "grandfather smoked for years until he died at 94" "grandmother never smoked and died at 69.--rationalize..rationalize. I do not have strong will power for this vise I'm afraid or is it as you say--I really don't want to quit. In my own defense however, I have cut back from 20 per day to 5-10 per day.
Eliz

Unedited

I've never even gotten near a cigarette. Well except this one time when I accidentally ate one. :) People always laugh when I tell them that, but I know I'm lucky to be alive. I think that incident has kept me from ever smoking.

mr.guy

crapsack
carrdero said:
This guy (who is not me) probably won't get to that cigarette (the one being held near the tuning machines) but it does make for a cool appearance.
The burns you inevitably get all over the headstock make you guitar pretty rustic looking, too.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Elizabeth said:
No, you are not out of line. I really enjoy a smoke and I am not sure if I want to give them up. Of course part of me do (I feel like a second class citizen some times) and then there's the other part that says "grandfather smoked for years until he died at 94" "grandmother never smoked and died at 69.--rationalize..rationalize. I do not have strong will power for this vise I'm afraid or is it as you say--I really don't want to quit. In my own defense however, I have cut back from 20 per day to 5-10 per day.
Eliz
I asked the question because I was a 50/day guy. I had given up once for two years and started again because my wife told me that with my strong will power, I could enjoy smoking on holiday, and give up when I came home. I couldn't.

When I was told, before a cataract operation, that if I coughed after the op, I could lose my eye, I gave up the night before going in hospital.

I have never smoked since. I am convinced that you must want to stop smoking before you can do so - it matters not what is written on the packet, what your family and friends say; the only thing that will stop you smoking is if you really want to.

constantine

the Great
I smoke an easy 30 to 40 a day ....... I fear for my life.....
I dont look forward to the slow agonizing death ..........

robtex said:
If anybody posts on here it would be cool to know why you started.
i have no idea why i started. i first did in HS, to try it. probably cause i thought i was cool or whatever. i never smoked every day though and now only smoke when i go out to bars and am drinking. for some reason, i only want a cig when im out.

Crystal Red

Episkopos Crystal Red
I started because I was interested in trying it at the that someone first offered one to me, it was a good decision because I enjoy even though it's going to kill me, at least I'm glad I did it for the right reasons, as in, not to look ' cool' or 'hard' or something like that.

Kowalski

cardero said:
Smoker about half a pack a day. It just may be the way I decide to leave this existence.
I smoke about the same, and I enjoy everyone of them, and a coffee wouldn't be a coffee without a smoke. What I don't want to hear is any whinging from the passive smoking brigade.

Cheers

K

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Kowalski said:
I smoke about the same, and I enjoy everyone of them, and a coffee wouldn't be a coffee without a smoke. What I don't want to hear is any whinging from the passive smoking brigade.

Cheers

K
You won't hear anything from me as long as you don't smoke around me. I'm afraid you will find yourself restricted in where you smoke within the not too distant future; besides, as a friend of mine always said to me "You keep smoking, paying taxes; by smoking, you won't be on a pension for long, so all the more for the rest of us!.............;)