• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How often do theists believe they have evidence for God's existence?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
How often do theists believe or assume that atheism is a choice, I wonder?

Is it at all usual for theists to believe that atheism is changeable?

I have heard the view expressed that in order to have faith one must first work through doubt.

I think that many sincerely held relationships that people feel themselves to have with their God develop off the back of atheism.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
LuisDantas said:
What do theists usually believe to cause atheism?

I often wonder if people in general, become atheists out of a genuine conclusion of sincere truth-seeking, or out of their own already consciously chosen philosophical predispositions, and simply rationalise post hoc?

I think it's a case by case thing.

And yes it my question applies to theism as well. Don't think I'm not asking myself the very same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No, it really is both: irrational and tired.

I see it just fine: "it looks like the universe had a beginning, therefore before the beginning of the universe, there must have been brainless minds." That's what you're saying, isn't it?

Not at all.
I believe in Cause and effect.

If substance first then you and all else living is finite and terminal.
No hope.
It also then follows we have no purpose in the grand scheme of things.
We might as well be stray fires that consume grass and trees.

Man is then a mystery without purpose or resolve.

No point in generating billions of copies of a learning device only to have each and every one fail into dust.

No survivors of the last breath?
Not a chance?
Not one in billions?

THAT would be irrational.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Not at all.
I believe in Cause and effect.
... with the first cause being "spirit", IOW brainless minds.
If substance first then you and all else living is finite and terminal.
No hope.
It also then follows we have no purpose in the grand scheme of things.
We might as well be stray fires that consume grass and trees.

Man is then a mystery without purpose or resolve.

No point in generating billions of copies of a learning device only to have each and every one fail into dust.

No survivors of the last breath?
Not a chance?
Not one in billions?

THAT would be irrational.

No, it would be unfortunate, not irrational.

An example of irrationality would be the logical fallacy this argument you just gave was based on: appeal to consequences. The question of whether you would like something to be true or not has absolutely no bearing on whether it actually is true.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
... with the first cause being "spirit", IOW brainless minds.

No, it would be unfortunate, not irrational.

An example of irrationality would be the logical fallacy this argument you just gave was based on: appeal to consequences. The question of whether you would like something to be true or not has absolutely no bearing on whether it actually is true.

Consequence cannot be removed or avoided.
Anyone with a brain can see that.

or do you prefer mindless...brains?

I've met such people.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Topic title: How often do theists believe they have evidence for God's existence?
----------------------------------------------------------------

There's TONS of 'evidence'..:)
The earth weighs 6,585,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons
How much does Earth weigh in tons

hangs-earth_zpsd890daaa.jpg~original

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I have heard the view expressed that in order to have faith one must first work through doubt.

I think that many sincerely held relationships that people feel themselves to have with their God develop off the back of atheism.

I hadn't considered that. I have no idea how often that may happen, but it looks reasonable.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I often wonder if people in general, become atheists out of a genuine conclusion of sincere truth-seeking, or out of their own already consciously chosen philosophical predispositions, and simply rationalise post hoc?

So you see a difference? Could you perhaps propose some sort of test to tell one of those options from the others?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Topic title: How often do theists believe they have evidence for God's existence?

Evidence for existence, certainly. And adequate justification for some who want to claim a certain kind of evidence.

But not really something that could convince an atheist into belief, except perhaps in the rare cases when one is predisposed towards theism yet somehow became an atheist nonetheless.

It is not like most atheists failed to notice existence, after all.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
LuisDantas said:
So you see a difference? Could you perhaps propose some sort of test to tell one of those options from the others?

There's a chasm of difference.

Despite the prattling concerning the supreme rationality of the atheist position, very often the actual motivation behind taking it has nothing to do with reason, but instead an arbitrary choice. It's only after the fact that reason becomes important, by which I mean they'll learn the main talking points and seek out material which tells them what they want to hear.

Someone put it nicely, but I long forget where I heard it. "Many atheists are atheists, simply because they disliked what they think God had to say."

That's not to say there aren't atheists who after serious soul searching honestly conclude atheism. But it's usually up to the individual to be honest with themselves and their motivations.

For example, the atheist that tells me how stupid Thomas Aquinas is, and parrots counters to the "five ways", without ever bothering to read a word of the actual text in context and in light of the Aristotelian framework in which it was constructed; is clearly an atheist with an ideological agenda, not a truth-seeking one. Same goes for the guy that rants against the Bible, but has never actually opened it. Again, this is not someone who really cares about the truth.

However, the atheist who asks tough questions concerning the justifications for theism, (and is not simply trying to win an augment) is an entirely different beast and one I'm actually more sympathetic to than you realise.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Apparently I am not sensitive to it.

Despite the prattling concerning the supreme rationality of the atheist position, very often the actual motivation behind taking it has nothing to do with reason, but instead an arbitrary choice.

Is it supposed not to be?

It's only after the fact that reason becomes important, by which I mean they'll learn the main talking points and seek out material which tells them what they want to hear.

Someone put it nicely, but I long forget where I heard it. "Many atheists are atheists, simply because they disliked what they think God had to say."

How does that work? An atheist who thought God existed enough to say something could hardly be an atheist. A Maltheist or LHPer, perhaps, but not an atheist.

That's not to say there aren't atheists who after serious soul searching honestly conclude atheism. But it's usually up to the individual to be honest with themselves and their motivations.

But why would soul searching be at all necessary? It is certainly legitimate, but hardly needed.

For example, the atheist that tells me how stupid Thomas Aquinas is, and parrots counters to the "five ways", without ever bothering to read a word of the actual text in context and in light of the Aristotelian framework in which it was constructed; is clearly an atheist with an ideological agenda, not a truth-seeking one.

Perhaps. Or perhaps he finds himself presented with some interpretation of the Five Ways in a context that demands that he takes a stance, genuinely finds them wanting, and speaks his mind.

It has happened to me personally often enough. I am embarrased that people bother to mention the Five Ways to me. Faithfully represented or otherwise, what they present me is not worth considering by anyone. It is just a tedious insistence in the appeal to exceptionality with no convincing power at all.

I don't particularly doubt that such a scenario as you describe happens, and happens often. But to the extent that it does, it is a testimony of how incredibly careless and abusive the proselitism of theism is of the Five Ways. Obviously enough, most or nearly all atheists would hardly bother mentioning them if there was no perception that they are supposed to be relevant.

Which, by the way, is enough of a puzzle in and of itself. Are the Five Ways supposed to say something, to mean anything at all these days? I truly wonder how many theists understand or see any meaning in them. I expect very few people who do not come wanting to believe will see any value or meaning in them. I trust it has always been so, in fact.

But then again, I find Aristotle difficult to follow as well. Maybe if I did not I would see some value in Aquinas.

All the same, if it bothers people that I summarily dismiss the Five Ways as worthless, maybe they should have made more of an effort to present them to me in a meaningful way, with proper context, to begin with (assuming that can be done; I stand doubtful). I can hardly be expected to accept the blame for their failure to convince me that their goals are worth my consideration.

Same goes for the guy that rants against the Bible, but has never actually opened it. Again, this is not someone who really cares about the truth.

That makes sense, if you disregard the possibility that he has simply deduced some of the Bible's attributes by seeing how and why it is presented by its preachers.

In a pragmatical sense, it is painfully obvious that opening the Bible and readin it does not at all help in its acceptance. If anything, it is much higher in myth than in reality.

Being more pragmatical even, one can hardly be surprised that Bible preachers that show a basic failure at grasping the fundamentals of moral and ethics (and they are a dime a dozen) end up being taken as evidence that the Bible is of very dubious value.

If anything, we should all let go of the relutance to say that aloud. The truth will indeed free us all, if we only accept it.

However, the atheist who asks tough questions concerning the justifications for theism, (and is not simply trying to win an augment) is an entirely different beast and one I'm actually more sympathetic to than you realise.

Fair enough. Do you however realize that atheism does not need to justify itself, and yet we are constantly accused of lots of failures that are not ours to fix?

That is a reality, and the fault IMO stands clearly on the shoulders of immature proselitisers for theism. Far too many people actually believe that pressuring others into theism is some sort of constructive endeavor. They can hardly blame us for employing whatever self-defense means we find at hand.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
LuisDantas said:
Apparently I am not sensitive to it.

Whether or not you honestly can't see the difference between a rational conclusion of atheism, verses a post hoc rationalisation for atheism is not my problem.

LuisDantas said:
Is it supposed not to be?

You can be an atheist for whatever reason you want. I have no problem with arbitrarily arrived at positions. That's not in of itself what I'm taking about.

LuisDantas said:
How does that work? An atheist who thought God existed enough to say something could hardly be an atheist. A Maltheist or LHPer, perhaps, but not an atheist.

:facepalm:

It was a rhetorical device, not a literal statement.

In that their atheism (when you really get to their real motives) has more to do with their dislike of whatever perceived implications of theism may hold for them, rather than anything to do with honest investigation into the world.

LuisDantas said:
But why would soul searching be at all necessary? It is certainly legitimate, but hardly needed.

I think you'll start to understand why I bring up what I do, if you realise I'm not so much talking about pure, dictionary atheism, but a certain ideology. I personally call it "identity atheism"

LuisDantas said:
Perhaps. Or perhaps he finds himself presented with some interpretation of the Five Ways in a context that demands that he takes a stance, genuinely finds them wanting, and speaks his mind

My point is if your going to attack something you should make a point of at least understanding it first. An example of this is the a famous youtuber called The Amazing Atheist, where he made a video titled "Thomas Aquinas Sucks" Of course, it's quite clear that he is way out of his depth concerning the material, but his sycophants hardly care about that. Thus I used the unfair dismissal of the five ways simply as a example of a reactionary atheist whose claims to rationality are pure pretence. Whatever your particular views on Aquinas, they are irrelevant to the point.

LuisDantas said:
Fair enough. Do you however realize that atheism does not need to justify itself, and yet we are constantly accused of lots of failures that are not ours to fix?

No, but the social entity of movement atheism does need to justify itself for all its claims of unquestionably. Or that those who preach that any view of the world that isn't philosophical materialism, is instantly irrational (if not evil), and needs to be done away with for the progress of "humanity"

I'm not saying you or anyone else need to justify anything.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Whether or not you honestly can't see the difference between a rational conclusion of atheism, verses a post hoc rationalisation for atheism is not my problem.

That is nice to know. It should not be anyone's problem really.

You can be an atheist for whatever reason you want. I have no problem with arbitrarily arrived at positions. That's not in of itself what I'm taking about.

Yes, that becomes clearer a bit further ahead.

:facepalm:

It was a rhetorical device, not a literal statement.

In that their atheism (when you really get to their real motives) has more to do with their dislike of whatever perceived implications of theism may hold for them, rather than anything to do with honest investigation into the world.

Voluntary, deliberate atheism as opposed to the spontaneous variety? It probably exists, I suppose. It may even be common. I would not know. I can only guess that it is probably not very widespread in comparison to the naturally occurring one.

I think you'll start to understand why I bring up what I do, if you realise I'm not so much talking about pure, dictionary atheism, but a certain ideology. I personally call it "identity atheism"

Ok.

I used the unfair dismissal of the five ways simply as a example of a reactionary atheist, your particular views on their validity are irrelevant.

No one shall ever mistake me or my views as relevant, for certain... all the same, I want to discuss the Five Ways a bit further.

Sorry for being blunt, but... is an unfair dismissal of the Five Ways even possible?

It is perfectly conceivable that I am failing to understand their point, I suppose. But what I do understand of them is that they were never meant to be taken as logical arguments, or at least fail completely at that. They are purely esthetical in nature, and therefore it is automatically fair and proper to dismiss them arbitrarily.

Is there anything more to them than the appeal to esthetics? If so, what?

No, but the idealogical entity of movement atheism does need to justify itself for all its claims of unquestionably.

Does it make such claims? Maybe you are mistaking claims of an unquestionable right to be accepted as legitimate with claims of being unquestionable as an ideology?

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Well if you are judging religious faith because of it's dogmatic requirements.....
ok....hard to justify.

If you are dismissing God for other causes......proceed.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Well if you are judging religious faith because of it's dogmatic requirements.....

Darn right I am! I actually expect everyone to, particularly those who adhere to it, and all the more for one's own beliefs.

ok....hard to justify.

Do you mean that it is hard not to find that enough justification?

If you are dismissing God for other causes......proceed.

I will proceed anyway.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Despite the prattling concerning the supreme rationality of the atheist position, very often the actual motivation behind taking it has nothing to do with reason, but instead an arbitrary choice. It's only after the fact that reason becomes important, by which I mean they'll learn the main talking points and seek out material which tells them what they want to hear.
I'm sure that's true for many people, but it strikes me as irrelevant. The fact that people might take a position for irrational reasons doesn't imply that there is no rational basis for the position.

BTW: can you think of any belief on an issue where good evidence actually exists where a person could just arbitrarily decide on a position and be able to sustain that? I think that what you're suggesting about atheist thought process still doesn't bode well for the reasonableness of the theist position. I mean, if someone was to decide that squirrels didn't exist (or that they do exist but are green) even for bad reasons, they'd be confronted with the falsehood of their belief on a daily basis. If an atheist can go his entire life without being confronted with the falsehood of his belief, doesn't this suggest that many theists also never see real support for their theism?

For example, the atheist that tells me how stupid Thomas Aquinas is, and parrots counters to the "five ways", without ever bothering to read a word of the actual text in context and in light of the Aristotelian framework in which it was constructed; is clearly an atheist with an ideological agenda, not a truth-seeking one. Same goes for the guy that rants against the Bible, but has never actually opened it. Again, this is not someone who really cares about the truth.
... or like somebody who cares about truth but thinks there are better ways to pursue that goal than by exploring the nuances of Catholic theology to a deeper degree than most practicing Catholics.

Your criticism here strikes me as an example of the Courtier's Reply (unfortunately, my phone won't let me paste a link, but you can Google it if you're not familiar with it).

Personally, I don't see those goals as mutually exclusive. One way I try to make my beliefs better is by exposing them to challenge, and one of the best ways to do that is to see if they'll come out of an argument intact with someone who believes they're false.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Darn right I am! I actually expect everyone to, particularly those who adhere to it, and all the more for one's own beliefs.

Do you mean that it is hard not to find that enough justification?

I will proceed anyway.

ok....and I'll be right back.....gotta get a hair cut!

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
LuisDantas said:
Sorry for being blunt, but... is an unfair dismissal of the Five Ways even possible?

Indeed. First thing you really need to know, is that the text itself gives the five ways in response to a question concerning whether or not the belief in God can have a rational basis. It's not intended as proof for God in the way a modern reader would think of proof, because that's actually not the context for the five ways.

If you want that apparently the augments of Duns Scotus (which I am not familiar with) are where you want to go in that he actually sets out to prove God.

Secondly, what Aquinas means by certain terms such as "motion" can only be properly understood in the light of the Aristotelian thought of the day. In other words, to truly understand what Aquinas is saying requires an understanding of context that the modern reader is simply cannot grasp without solid education or at least extensive research.

I still have much to learn before I can appreciate Aquinas. So when a modern atheist in his conceit thinks he can pull apart the work of one of the foremost thinkers of medieval western history with no research whatsoever, I'm sorry if I find that a little arrogant.

I'll reply to Penguin later. I have work tomorrow and I really ought to get at least a few hours sleep.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
True Christians are cool, calm, goodnatured, fearless, confident and unflappable, so Christianity obviously works for them and I dunno why it doesn't work for other people?