• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How the Poor and Working Class Can Finally Break the Democratic Party.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Do you think we're using our "defense" spending to protect Europe? In what way? For instance, take Ukraine. Europe has given them more money in aid than America has. But that's a separate thing from how much each country spends on their military.

Sorry, but I believe the US has given the most aid overall to Ukraine. Please show sources that show otherwise. Thanks.

We Never Know

No Slack
I think you have it backward. The U.S. spends way too much on our military. Vastly more than is necessary for "defense".

And then the question is why you think what they spend affects America. Do you think we're using our "defense" spending to protect Europe? In what way? For instance, take Ukraine. Europe has given them more money in aid than America has. But that's a separate thing from how much each country spends on their military.
"Europe has given them more money in aid than America has."

Talk about comparing apples to oranges.

Europe is a continent made up of what, 45ish countries?

The US is one country.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Sorry, but I believe the US has given the most aid overall to Ukraine. Please show sources that show otherwise. Thanks.
What you believe is irrelevant. I'll even supply the source, even though that should be up to you, since you were making the original claim.

You also didn't address my questions. Why do you care what Europe spends on their militaries? It doesn't affect the U.S.

I have the feeling that the ongoing theme with liberals in this thread is that the Democrats are better because they don't abuse you like the Republicans do, they just neglect you

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I have the feeling that the ongoing theme with liberals in this thread is that the Democrats are better because they don't abuse you like the Republicans do, they just neglect you

Well, since this is in general political debates, I can answer as a Dane. Yeah, you are being played by both parties, but to lesser degree by the Democrats. At least from my biased POV.

I don't see how anyone is still dumb enough to believe the whores in Washington (including many whores on the state and local level, as well) still care a bit about the American people. They are beholden to lobbyists and billionaire donors. They're letting over 23 million Americans be thrown off of Medicaid as we speak. But handouts for foreign countries.
Thank you my fellow Frank. But tell these liberals what happened to you.

And I have little tolerance for those who refuse to see the struggles the working class go through. Welcome to ignore. Hint: you are ignored. Question to people reading this. Why do you put up with people like this?
I've never polled "Liberal Democrats,' nor am I interested in castigating them.

I do, however, have exceedingly little regard for those who bloviate sophomorically about them. :)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I prefer the Democrats because they're significantly less autocratic and authoritarian. They still believe in democracy. They still value the middle class and attempt to help the working classes. Today's Republicans increasingly do not.

A pox on both their houses, though. I'm registered as a Green. :)

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
That is a theme among most people. It's only partially true. They don't neglect people either. They don't go far enough, but they do work toward improving things for us.

Kathryn

What you believe is irrelevant. I'll even supply the source, even though that should be up to you, since you were making the original claim.

You also didn't address my questions. Why do you care what Europe spends on their militaries? It doesn't affect the U.S.
You're confusing the percentage of GDP with the the total amount, Your source clearly states that the US is ranked #1 for the total amount, and #16 for the percentage of GDP.

Also, I spent many years in Germany, as a military wife. My daughter just came back from there in fact. So let's not pretend that the US isn't affected by what Europe spends on it's military. At the time, we were "guarding the Fulda Gap"from the Soviet Union, and with my daughter, she was there because of Poland and the threat of Russia.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
You're confusing the percentage of GDP with the the total amount, Your source clearly states that the US is ranked #1 for the total amount, and #16 for the percentage of GDP.
No, I'm not. I'm pointing out that Europe has given more to Ukraine than we have. You said you want Europe to raise their defense spending, as if it affected anything about the U.S. Even if "defense spending" including aid to countries like Ukraine, they already give more than we do.
Also, I spent many years in Germany, as a military wife. My daughter just came back from there in fact. So let's not pretend that the US isn't affected by what Europe spends on it's military. At the time, we were "guarding the Fulda Gap"from the Soviet Union, and with my daughter, she was there because of Poland and the threat of Russia.
Another tangent. Your experience in Germany is irrelevant. You still haven't addressed the question. In what specific way would Europe increasing their military spending affect the U.S.? You would need to show that Europe has been attacked and found to have an insufficient military that required U.S intervention to rescue them. You would need to show that the U.S. spends as much as it does because of something Europe does. In reality, we spend what we do because of the military industrial complex, so the politicians can fund their cronies and lobbyists. Europe raising their own spending on their militaries won't affect that.

Kathryn

No, I'm not. I'm pointing out that Europe has given more to Ukraine than we have. You said you want Europe to raise their defense spending, as if it affected anything about the U.S. Even if "defense spending" including aid to countries like Ukraine, they already give more than we do.

Another tangent. Your experience in Germany is irrelevant. You still haven't addressed the question. In what specific way would Europe increasing their military spending affect the U.S.? You would need to show that Europe has been attacked and found to have an insufficient military that required U.S intervention to rescue them. You would need to show that the U.S. spends as much as it does because of something Europe does. In reality, we spend what we do because of the military industrial complex, so the politicians can fund their cronies and lobbyists. Europe raising their own spending on their militaries won't affect that.
As I said, you are confusing GDP with what we are actually giving dollar wise (or Euro wise). If you can't see how each country in Europe increasing their military spending would help US servicemembers and their families, there's nothing else I can say to you. OMG, there are some big, big countries in Europe. France, Spain, Germany for starters. You can't lump them all together.

Kathryn

I do and will; it's why each state is culturally distinct and environmentally distinct. It's why States rights are such a big deal. It's just a bunch of territories that got together and decided to be semi nice to each other.
I guess it's why so many western states are so sparsely populated too.