• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to stop all thoughts for good.

Self

Stopping thoughts seems to be hard, but it only seems to be like that. We just havent found the correct way to do it yet. Here is one way, that if really tried, will dissove the mind for good.

begin to look inward. dont try to stop any thoughts, just let them be. Now, just watch them, let them flow and have no identification with them. Do not be the thinker. Now, observe that which is observing. This is self-awareness. Be conscious of your consciousness. When this happens the, I am this, i am that, will dissapear leaving you will a feeling I AM. When consciousness is turned outward there is no feeling I AM so a false one is made. That is the ego. Because there is a false self we know that there must be a real self. Be aware of your awareness and the real self will emerge. I dont care what problems you have had with no-thoughts in the past, this will eliminate all trouble and leave you empty. THIS DOES WORK! just try it and use it for a week, the advancement will be amazing!

Self

Here is a more simplistic way of saying it:

BE AWARE THAT YOU ARE AWARE

when this occurs, the false self or Ego will go away and another I will emerge, that is the real self, pure being.

Self

Here is another way for those who are inclined to the path of Bhakti.

Ishvara or God is the highest being! God is the controller and everything that happens is according to Gods will. Your will is useless, Gods is supreme. Gods will cancels out yours! understand that without God nothing can happen and that all things happen according to the Will of the Supreme.

Now...SURRENDER!!!!!!

When one fully surrenders, what goes away, the Ego. Then the real self emerges.

Now, I do know that everything that im posting here may be common knowledge and common sense, but sometimes we overlook such things.

Sometimes we want a beautiful path, or a high path, or this path or that path, when some of the best ways are the most simplistic! Dont forget surrender, dont forget who you are, and forget your goal.

Yeah, good thread.
When I saw the title, I thought it was a bullet, haha.
I've been up to long, but they were good recommendations.

TurkeyOnRye

One interesting thing to point out, particularly for beginners, is that your entire reality is created by 'you'. The implications to this are quite deep. In fact, as you read these words, your mind creates them.

Enter Zen from here.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Now, I do know that everything that im posting here may be common knowledge and common sense, but sometimes we overlook such things.

Sometimes we want a beautiful path, or a high path, or this path or that path, when some of the best ways are the most simplistic! Dont forget surrender, dont forget who you are, and forget your goal.

What you're describing is all over the Sastras. However, they state it in poetic and abstract terms. Often, in order for the concepts to really sink in, we need to see it restated in everyday language.

If we study too much the language and words used, we will worry too much about what is supposed to happen, create preconceived notions as what is right or expected along the path, misguide the mind as it naturally seeks the path. The best knowledge and teacher is experience. Don't focus on the path, just place one foot before the other.

Onkara

So what happens "as the mind [thoughts] still exists" even though the awareness becomes oneself? We still need to work, go shopping etc?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Onkarah,

Personal understanding in response to your query on the topic of the OP.
How to stop all thoughts for good.
Do NOTHING!, not even thinking, is the mantra.
Yes, easier said said than done.
So what next?
Observation of the SOURCE, the MIND itself.
We find that the mind is a train of thoughts, one thought after another and man is divided as soon as our DYANA is focused towards them and these thoughts gets the energy required to further bring the individual in disharmony.
Here, like to bring out the saying of Jesus where he stated that only children gets admission in heaven meaning the mind of a child, innocent, not giving energy to the thoughts except that the child has none but slowly the humans around teaches him to.
Back to the topic:
Then when we observe the kinds of thoughts that passes, we observe that they are those that we desire most so as soon as a girl passes we observe its beauty again as per our desire which creates them to be beautiful or not in one's eyes and so we see poetry flowing on beauty.
So basically one is doing nothing not even thinking BUT only OBSERVING the mind.
While observing thoughts we also find that like a train which has bogies akin to thoughts there are gaps in between which is very very small and these gaps are gaps of nothingness or consciousness This is individual consciousness which is connected with the universal consciousness [nothingness] or the whole.
The more one holds on to those gaps the longer the gaps of no-thoughts and insights are in those gaps. The first insight one gets is labelled as satori or samadhi and finally nirbikalp samadhi or nirvana etc.
Its all practice eat when you are hungry, sleep when the body is tired but consciousness is awake at all times with which one has to merge be one with.
Love & rgds

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
May I say, as someone who is still a seeker, I have been thinking lately, is it a bad thing to think sometimes? To have thought? After all, if God is in all, God is also experiencing itself through us. Keep that in mind, and you can think anything, without really harming yourself or others.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend HM,

God is in all, God is also experiencing itself through us. Keep that in mind, and you can think anything, without really harming yourself or others.
There is nothing as GOD, its a concept human mind developed.
What is is energy and thoughts too are energy.
There is nothing against thinking.
Both thinking and non thinking are to be understood and understanding that is enlightening.

Love & rgds

joea

Oshoyoi
Thoughts cannot be stopped, but it stops only of his own accord. Otherwise you will go mad chasing your mind. The NO-mind does not arise by stopping thinking, when the thinking is no more,the No-mind is. But even if one manages to stop the thinking forcibly, it will not be an achievement at all, it is only a sort of stillness, not silence. Underneath it, deep in the unconscious, the repressed mind goes on working. So, there is no way to stop the mind. But the mind stops -- that is certain. It stops of its own accord.

Peacewise

Stopping thoughts seems to be hard, but it only seems to be like that. We just havent found the correct way to do it yet. Here is one way, that if really tried, will dissove the mind for good.

begin to look inward. dont try to stop any thoughts, just let them be. Now, just watch them, let them flow and have no identification with them. Do not be the thinker. Now, observe that which is observing. This is self-awareness. Be conscious of your consciousness. When this happens the, I am this, i am that, will dissapear leaving you will a feeling I AM. When consciousness is turned outward there is no feeling I AM so a false one is made. That is the ego. Because there is a false self we know that there must be a real self. Be aware of your awareness and the real self will emerge. I dont care what problems you have had with no-thoughts in the past, this will eliminate all trouble and leave you empty. THIS DOES WORK! just try it and use it for a week, the advancement will be amazing!

yeh that worked, cheers. Gave it a go last night during a resting heart rate test, lol, just about fell asleep, but certainly had moments, and longer periods of mindful stillness? is that a correct description, of not thinking in words was very noticeable and that kinda felt like what I presume is not thinking.
Like concepts had disappeared and I was simply existing.