• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to stop all thoughts for good.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
There is one more fun meaning of 'maha-samadhi' and that is death. 'so and so swami has taken maha-samadhi'. In 'maha-samadhi', no one would think of anything. If we have to think of non-duality, we have to do it in this life.
The fun meaning is an error of the unenlightened mind....leaving the body in death before attaining the ability to leave the body while alive in maha-samadhi is not maha-samadhi.

Thinking of non-duality in this life can be done by anyone...leaving the body in a state of non-duality can only be realized by a master. Such a one will eventually leave the body and not return and that is called death through the 'front door' and that's the end of karma and rebirth. Normal death as experienced by the unenlightened is a 'back door' death and reincarnation will follow.

Last edited:

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I do not believe Buddha said all that. That would be 'aham', 'dambha', pride. I don't take Buddha to be that. Stating in a matter of fact way that he has found the key to a more-satisfying knowledge is OK. It must be a later Mahayana sutta.

It's a Pali sutta.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend ben,

Thinking of non-duality in this life can be done by anyone...leaving the body in a state of non-duality can only be realized by a master. Such a one will eventually leave the body and not return and that is called death through the 'front door' and that's the end of karma and rebirth. Normal death as experienced by the unenlightened is a 'back door' death and reincarnation will follow.

Well explained using analogy that clarifies it.

Love & rgds

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's a Pali sutta.
I checked that, but somehow it does not ring true. As I said, haughty. I do not think a person like Buddha would have spoken in this way. Perhaps it was remembered by his principle desciples, who gave it their own language.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The fun meaning is an error of the unenlightened mind....leaving the body in death before attaining the ability to leave the body while alive in maha-samadhi is not maha-samadhi.
Not all sadhakas become Arhats or Tathagatas. Perhaps in their future lives (at least, that is what they think)

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Aupmanyav,

Generally yes. I get worked up if Hinduism is denigrated, though I do not shy of discussion.
My four scriptures: Upanishads, SrimadBhagawat Purana, BhagawadGita, Ram Charit Manas.

My enquires were pointing towards 'meditational practises' and your method.
Your responses are what your mind RESTS on which are complimentary to meditation.

Love & rgds

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I checked that, but somehow it does not ring true. As I said, haughty. I do not think a person like Buddha would have spoken in this way. Perhaps it was remembered by his principle desciples, who gave it their own language.

Yeah, I dont take anything in any suttas/sutras to be true just on faith. Im sure there are discrepancies and additions everywhere.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

Yeah, I dont take anything in any suttas/sutras to be true just on faith. Im sure there are discrepancies and additions everywhere.

One can always be sure that what is spoken off is not the constant Tao [Tao Te Ching] so when words are spoken by someone one has already moved from its original space and then the one hearing will also deviate according to his own colors and then the writer even if the hearer or the speaker still will be not the constant Tao.

Scriptures are written by humans for an understanding of the TAO and if understood and attained that experience says it all and not the written words.

Love & rgds

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
My enquires were pointing towards 'meditational practises' and your method.
A deep breath and I am ready. Perhaps I am fortunate. In the beginning I used to chant 'Namah Shivaya' and 'Narayanaya Namah', then used to slow my chant, I would enlongate the words, then would give random breaks in my chant, then I would lengthen the breaks, and finally silence. I do not know if there is a proper name for such kind of meditation, but for me, it was most effective. It would take just about 5-10 minutes to clear the mind of procession of thoughts.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Aupmanyav,

Could you elaborate as to how while chanting for 5-10 minutes leads to 'silence'' and if it is of any importance, if so why or why not??

Love & rgds

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I have explained the way I experienced what can be termed as no-thought above. The next step is to take up the question that one is confused about. In my case the question was - Should I abandon my Gods and Goddesses? My solution was that they may not be real Gods and Goddesses but they are important to my culture. My culture is built around them, therefore, they cannot be completely abandoned. So, retain them as guides, real for some, symbolic for me. That is what I did.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Aupmanyav,

he next step is to take up the question that one is confused about. In my case the question was - Should I abandon my Gods and Goddesses? My solution was that they may not be real Gods and Goddesses but they are important to my culture. My culture is built around them, therefore, they cannot be completely abandoned. So, retain them as guides, real for some, symbolic for me. That is what I did.

Personal understanding is that there are no gods as images but as representations of that Brahman the state of no-thoughts.
When such a state has been experienced the rest simply drops as the journey is over.
Ramakrishna we all know had no attachments but still kept his attachment to eating sweets [bengalis are fond of sweets in general] When asked by his wife Sarada Ma about it he replied that the day I lose interest in sweets know that my end is near.
Likewise attachments with Gods where even after Totapuri guided Ramakrishna to "NIRAKAR' by getting rid of Ma Kali which he succeeded but afterwards just carried on his daily ritual with full awareness/consciousness as it had become a part of Ramakrishna Paramhansa.

Yes, do retain all gods but with an awareness/consciousness of what they represent and not otherwise.
Once again this is personal understanding and if wrong am open to be corrected.

Love & rgds

ametist

Desires are the source for suffering and this is one of the weirdest desire i have met.
Still if you are so fond of it, sleep. When you are awaken you can know and follow time, when you sleep it is like for good.

Ravi500

Desires are the source for suffering and this is one of the weirdest desire i have met.
Still if you are so fond of it, sleep. When you are awaken you can know and follow time, when you sleep it is like for good.

What is the 'weird desire' mentioned over here ! :)