• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Would A Doctor Respond?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Under UK law, section 2 and section 3 of the mental health act can be used to forcibly intern a person in a mental asylum for evaluation.
Section 2 is for 1 weekb and can be upgraded to section 3
Section 3 is for a month but at a doctor's descresion may be extended up to 6 months.

Generally only used if the subject is a danger to himself or others

Other countries,... I don't know
Not a term we use here.
Instead of to "section" someone,
we say call "those nice young men in their clean white coats".

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
If a person thought they were Divine and requested others worship them, attempted to start cults, or thought they had special powers that could potentially put them in harm's way, they might deem it harmful.

If they thought they were Divine, and this inspired them to hold themselves to better standards, or were more inspired to help people from it, I suspect they'd smile and move on.
If the man told the therapist that all of existence ends when he dies and begins again when he’s reborn in 1979ish and that he was at total acceptance with that I wonder if the therapist would pry and ask questions or just move on.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Would if others started to worship him without his request? Might be a problem then huh?
Depends on how you respond to it. ;)
If the man told the therapist that all of existence ends when he dies and begins again when he’s reborn in 1979ish and that he was at total acceptance with that I wonder if the therapist would pry and ask questions or just move on.
Depends on the therapist.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Do I wanna know?
You might. A few weeks before he snapped, I called the police about my brother. They told me that unless my brother was a "danger to himself or others" they wouldn't do anything. In fact, they told me that they COULDN'T do anything unless I had something concrete. I didn't at the time, but my brother took care of all that a few weeks later. He is now a schizophrenic, but I honestly think he was before he was officially diagnosed.

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
Depends on how you respond to it. ;)

Depends on the therapist.
Well, if he said it’s OK if you worship me but keep man’s laws out of it and understand that my power only resides in death that might be ok. Chances are some ill person would try to end his life. So he probably wouldn’t want to be worshiped. lol. The therapist can’t tell anybody anyway because of confidentiality laws.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, in theory at least I believe that it would be as JustGeorge said. You have to remember that they do this for a living. I doubt if anything is truly new to them.
This.

I don't work as a therapist per se, but my position at the university often involves taking on that sort of role sometimes with students. I've been doing this for a long time, and I hear a lot of things. When you are serving in your role, you cast all judgement aside because that isn't what you are there to do in the first place. You are there to listen and to help, so you listen and you help. Often times, the types of folks who take jobs like this aren't the real judgemental sorts anyway. We hear so many stories and such that you develop a heck of a lot of empathy and understanding for the human condition. Even if it is new to us, we'll still be in that listen and help mode, not judging you or anything.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You might. A few weeks before he snapped, I called the police about my brother. They told me that unless my brother was a "danger to himself or others" they wouldn't do anything. In fact, they told me that they COULDN'T do anything unless I had something concrete. I didn't at the time, but my brother took care of all that a few weeks later. He is now a schizophrenic, but I honestly think he was before he was officially diagnosed.

Quite probably, add that schizophrenia is hard to diagnose, there are other illnesses that need to be addressed first, depression, bi-polar etc. From my brother in laws doctor saying it could be schizophrenia to a psychiatrist diagnosing him took close to 4 years.