• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Would A Doctor Respond?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe it’s called a section 35.
After a career in clinical medicine, I have never heard that term.

The term we used was to 5150 somebody, but one could also say hospitalize. People also refer to committing someone to a psych unit. That can also be called institutionalization, but it's different than a 5150, which is 72 hours of compulsory admission and observation.
How do you think a psychologist or a psychiatrist would respond if I told them my beliefs about the chosen one living on earth?
Depends on what those beliefs were. As others have said, a physician doesn't intervene unless there is a sign of a problem that represents a threat to self or other.
how would a therapist respond to someone that told them they were this man?
What man? Jesus? If someone told me that he thought that he was Jesus, I'd probably refer him to a psychiatrist.
If the man told the therapist that all of existence ends when he dies and begins again when he’s reborn in 1979ish and that he was at total acceptance with that I wonder if the therapist would pry and ask questions or just move on.
Psych consult.

Assuming that you already had reason to believe that this person wasn't dangerous to self or others, why ask more questions when you already know that you're going to want an expert opinion?

Jimmy

King Phenomenon

The term we used was to 5150 somebody, but one could also say hospitalize. People also refer to committing someone to a psych unit. That can also be called institutionalization, but it's different than a 5150, which is 72 hours of compulsory admission and observation.

Depends on what those beliefs were. As others have said, a physician doesn't intervene unless there is a sign of a problem that represents a threat to self or other.

What man? Jesus? If someone told me that he thought that he was Jesus, I'd probably refer him to a psychiatrist.

Psych consult.

Assuming that you already had reason to believe that this person wasn't dangerous to self or others, why ask more questions when you already know that you're going to want an expert opinion?
Not Jesus

Jimmy

King Phenomenon

Psych consult.

Oh I guess this is just for us alcohol or substance-abuse problem. But I believe it can be used for mental disorders as well.

Jimmy

King Phenomenon

Psych consult.

So you think a psychiatrist would be better for somebody like this than a psychologist? Why if he poses no harm? The only thing a psychiatrist can do is subscribe different medications than a psychologist.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So you think a psychiatrist would be better for somebody like this than a psychologist? Why if he poses no harm? The only thing a psychiatrist can do is subscribe different medications than a psychologist.
I consider the ability to prescribe medications or offer psychotherapy an advantage over having just one to offer. If I knew for a fact that the problem was one that should not be treated medically, I would prefer a psychologist, but since I could rarely make that judgment myself with delusional patients, I would let a psychiatrist do that for the patient.

Remember this:

1724968328702.png

I understand that a lot of people object to medicating any illness and especially psych illnesses, but with psychoses, for example, it's drugs, not hugs.

"Ask your doctor if Abilify is right for you." (sorry, @Shadow Wolf; I'm guessing that you disagree)

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
I consider the ability to prescribe medications or offer psychotherapy an advantage over having just one to offer. If I knew for a fact that the problem was one that should not be treated medically, I would prefer a psychologist, but since I could rarely make that judgment myself with delusional patients, I would let a psychiatrist do that for the patient.

Remember this:

View attachment 96492

I understand that a lot of people object to medicating any illness and especially psych illnesses, but with psychoses, for example, it's drugs, not hugs.

"Ask your doctor if Abilify is right for you." (sorry, @Shadow Wolf; I'm guessing that you disagree)
This man isn’t me so I don’t need ability. lol

Jimmy

King Phenomenon

Remember this:

View attachment 96492

Psychoses is sad.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member

Remember this:

View attachment 96492

Honestly, I'm not that impressed with Abilify.