• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Human Animals?

Kfox

Dear god. It's simple. HUMANS ARE APES. You are not superior to apes because you ARE an ape. Dogs, cats, zoos, lions, and the word 'modern' have got absolutely nothing to do with this simple fact. As you said humans are part of the ape family. That's it. You're an ape.

Have you read that link? It seems not from your posts. The essential words are in red.

"The Hominidae (/hɒˈmɪnɪdiː/), whose members are known as the great apes or hominids (/ˈhɒmɪnɪdz/), are a taxonomic family of primates that includes eight extant species in four genera: Pongo (the Bornean, Sumatran and Tapanuli orangutan); Gorilla (the eastern and western gorilla); Pan (the chimpanzee and the bonobo); and Homo, of which only modern humans (Homo sapiens) remain."
Why are you repeating the same thing over and over again; as if I were objecting to it? My objection is not whether or not humans are included under definition of what constitutes an ape or not, my objection is whether we are equal to the type of apes you see at the zoo! Address that.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
You dont like my analogy because it exposes your claim as false. You claim humans are not superior to beasts, but you obviously judge humans at a much higher standard than you do beasts. Your actions speak louder than your words.,
I decided after reading your subsequent posts in response to @Secret Chief that I'm not letting you off that easy (post #97), because it's not okay for you to misrepresent what others say here.

As I said, your analogy fails, and I've listed the reasons why. You then intentionally misrepresent what I said by claiming I judge humans at a much higher standard than I do beasts. I take exception to that deception.

So now I challenge you to demonstrate here how I "obviously judge humans at a much higher standard than I do beasts."

Kfox

I challenge you to demonstrate here how I "obviously judge humans at a much higher standard than I do beasts."
I gave the analogy of a lion killing a female lion's cubs then having sex with her. I asked if this is wrong and would you judge a human by the same standards if a man did it to a woman. You danced around the issue refusing to give a straight answer. If you would judge both the same, I’m sure you would have said so
Are we reading the same thread?! Go back and read your posts over the last few pages.
I made that statement in reference to what I said on post #99. Why do you ask?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I gave the analogy of a lion killing a female lion's cubs then having sex with her. I asked if this is wrong and would you judge a human by the same standards if a man did it to a woman. You danced around the issue refusing to give a straight answer. If you would judge both the same, I’m sure you would have said so
I refused to answer your loaded question about your failed analogy. If someone refused to answer your question, you just make up your own? Is that how conversation works?

I made that statement in reference to what I said on post #99. Why do you ask?
So you're conceding that humans are apes? If so, the conversation can finally move forward.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Why are you repeating the same thing over and over again; as if I were objecting to it? My objection is not whether or not humans are included under definition of what constitutes an ape or not, my objection is whether we are equal to the type of apes you see at the zoo! Address that.

Whether or not an animal is "equal" doesn't pertain to why it is in a specific category. German Shepherds are not equal in ability with Teacup Chihuahuas, but they are still both dogs

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
you should understand the difference between a human and a modern ape; even though they are both in the ape family. I am only telling you what I mean when I say ape. you do realize in everyday language, people do not refer to themselves as apes; right?
We use the scientific meaning of words like ape (and animal as in the OP) when discussing biology, where humans are classified as apes (and animals), and modern humans are modern apes. In other contexts, like at the zoo, one can use the word ape to mean non-human ape and animal to mean non-human animal and expect to be understood.
When I said as a human I consider myself superior to dogs and apes, I was referring to canines and the type of apes you find in the zoo, then I explained why. Everybody then began to focus on the definition of apes in an effort to completely ignore the point I was making and attempted to shift the conversation to what is an ape rather than the point I was making.
You got both kinds of responses, those objection to your use of the word ape and those objecting to your use of the word superior. If you use the biological definition of ape in a discussion about whether humans are apes, you will avoid the first set of comments.
So according to you, it is okay for a man to force a sex act on a woman so long as he does it to get her pregnant; it is only wrong if he does it due to lust!
I didn't get that from @SalixIncendium 's comment, which was, "Tell me how the acts described in your analogy place humans morally superior to non-humans. If a human can rape and murder for lust, how is this morally superior than a lion who rapes and murders for procreation?" He's calling the human immoral for an act that is amoral when a lion commits it. You know why. Man has a conscience and an awareness of the harm those actions cause, or should, and so is deemed immoral for committing them.

As for moral "superiority," a moral man outperforms an amoral animal, who outperforms an immoral man, but that is by human standards. A lion might disagree if it could.
nobody chose to use plant as an insult word for human
I can think of a few examples. Vegging out isn't flattering, nor is being called a vegetable. Nor is couch potato. You don't want your thoughts called word salad. And you don't want to be called fruity or a fruit. The dumbest person is dumb as a stump.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
You seem to expect other life to conform to human morality (hence anthropomorphising) - and perhaps seen as having some kind of objective reality. Where did you get this strange idea from? Why wouldn't other species have evolved so as to survive with whatever morality served them, even if this was not something we might recognise? Some species do in fact seem to have evolved to have morality we can recognise but if one was a carnivore predator why do you think any morality they might have would differ from ours - perhaps due to the nature of their existence?

Kfox

It included the implicit assumption that I believe in certain circumstances it's okay to kill a woman's kids and force a sex act on her against her will. I never suggested or implied that during our exchange.
Then why didn't you give me a straight answer and say it was wrong to do so?

Kfox

You got both kinds of responses, those objection to your use of the word ape and those objecting to your use of the word superior. If you use the biological definition of ape in a discussion about whether humans are apes, you will avoid the first set of comments.
That’s what I was trying to do when I spoke of the type of apes in the zoo; yet they still kept insisting apes include humans
I didn't get that from @SalixIncendium 's comment, which was, "Tell me how the acts described in your analogy place humans morally superior to non-humans. If a human can rape and murder for lust, how is this morally superior than a lion who rapes and murders for procreation?" He's calling the human immoral for an act that is amoral when a lion commits it. You know why. Man has a conscience and an awareness of the harm those actions cause, or should, and so is deemed immoral for committing them.

As for moral "superiority," a moral man outperforms an amoral animal, who outperforms an immoral man, but that is by human standards. A lion might disagree if it could.
Had he given that type of an answer, we would likely be in agreement.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member

We absolutely are equal in every way to those apes. And thinking otherwise has led to more problems, then solutions.

Little Dragon

That’s what I was trying to do when I spoke of the type of apes in the zoo; yet they still kept insisting apes include humans
Ape is not a scientific taxonomic definition. The family classification Hominidae, groups humans, chimps, gorillas and orangutans and possibly Yeti/Sasquatch/etc together, some call these the 'Great Apes', as opposed to the Lesser Ape, the gibbon.