• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Humans did NOT evolve from the common ancestor of Apes

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Not necessarily. Not everyone is chosen to understand. God intends for some people to remain in utter darkness.
Yes, you have been chosen to understand that THIS GENERATION actually meant a totally different generation 2000 years later. Amazing.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Perhaps "Spirit of Discernment" means 'magic decoder ring'?
Seems we should have kept them?
You said 'magic decoder ring'. My spiritual discernment turned that into 'funny hat with flower' when I read it enough times. You should try it.

Sonofason

Yes, you have been chosen to understand that THIS GENERATION actually meant a totally different generation 2000 years later. Amazing.
Nope, this generation means this generation. But if you do not understand the context in which these words are being used, you will not understand which generation this generation is.

HiEv

Citation Needed

The Neo Nerd

Well, there is no such thing as a burden of proof that is necessary for a truth to be truth. The truth is under no burden whatsoever. The truth is the truth. It is the unbeliever of a truth who desires to compel a person making a statement of truth with a burden of proof to show that his claim is true. But the truth giver is under no such burden. It's not my problem if you don't know the truth. I am quite content knowing the truth without you. If I had the sort of proof of truth that you seek, I'd be more than happy to share it. But I don't have what you seek. I just have the truth.

The truth is not the truth just because you assert it to be so. For something to be the truth it has to be proven with fact.

Therefore if you wish to assert something as truth, it is incumbent upon you to provide this proof.

Otherwise you have nothing but unfounded opinion.

Sonofason

You are demonstrably incorrect.

Evolution is simply a change in the frequency of traits within a species across multiple generations.

We have observed the increase in frequency of many different antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria.

Thus evolution has been observed.

Repeatedly.

QED
So you have witnessed strains of bacteria becoming something other than bacteria?

I don't think so.

Sonofason

The truth is not the truth just because you assert it to be so. For something to be the truth it has to be proven with fact.

Therefore if you wish to assert something as truth, it is incumbent upon you to provide this proof.

Otherwise you have nothing but unfounded opinion.
You're right. The truth is not the truth just because I say so. The truth is the truth, regardless of what I say. And the truth is the truth regardless what you believe to be true. Truth does not require being proven. Only you require the truth to be proven to you.

HiEv

Citation Needed
So you have witnessed strains of bacteria becoming something other than bacteria?

I don't think so.

As I stated previously, evolution is simply a change in the frequency of traits within a species across multiple generations.

If you think evolution only means bacteria becoming something other than bacteria, then you have a fundamentally incorrect understanding of the meaning of the word "evolution".

That's fine, we're all mistaken sometimes. There's nothing wrong with that. As long as you are willing to learn once that error is pointed out to you.

This means that if a particular strain of bacteria simply has a change in the frequency of one trait, such as a larger percentage having resistance to a certain kind of antibiotic, then that is evolution.

If you choose to ignore this information and insist that "evolution" means bacteria changing into something other than bacteria, then please understand that you're debating against something other than what everyone else is discussing when they use the correct scientific definition of the word "evolution".

The Neo Nerd

You're right. The truth is not the truth just because I say so. The truth is the truth, regardless of what I say. And the truth is the truth regardless what you believe to be true. Truth does not require being proven. Only you require the truth to be proven to you.

Congratulations on dodging my argument by simply restating your original proposition.

Sonofason

As I stated previously, evolution is simply a change in the frequency of traits within a species across multiple generations.

If you think evolution only means bacteria becoming something other than bacteria, then you have a fundamentally incorrect understanding of the meaning of the word "evolution".

That's fine, we're all mistaken sometimes. There's nothing wrong with that. As long as you are willing to learn once that error is pointed out to you.

However, if a particular strain of bacteria simply has a change in the frequency of one trait, such as a larger percentage having resistance to a certain kind of antibiotic, that is evolution.

If you choose to ignore this information and insist that "evolution" means bacteria changing into something other than bacteria, then please understand that you're debating against something other than what everyone else is discussing when they use the correct scientific definition of the word "evolution".
There is nothing right about applying the term evolution to diversity within a species.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
There is nothing right about applying the term evolution to diversity within a species.
Ah ... but it is, that is the basic kind of Darwinian evolution. Natural selection is the cause of diversity within a species.

Species result from different gene frequencies occurring in separate, non-overlapping geographic areas, allopatric populations of related organisms are unable to interbreed because of geographic separation.

HiEv

Citation Needed

I totally agree, which is why I didn't use it that way.

I wasn't discussing diversity within a species, but actually the change in frequency of traits within a species across generations. That is what evolution is.

evolution
- noun
3. Biology. change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift.

Wikipedia: "Evolution, also known as descent with modification, is the change in heritable phenotype traits of biological populations over successive generations."

Care to provide better unbiased scientific sources that disagree?

So, again, if you are using the term "evolution" to mean anything other than that, then you aren't referring to the same evolution that anyone who is accurately using the term is referring to. In other words, you'd merely be arguing against a straw man, not the actual claim which people are really making.

You wouldn't want to do that, now would you? :)

shawn001

Dear Outhouse, Sure...IF you will show us YOUR evidence of How and When evolution changed Apes into Humans. I don't believe you can but I will give you the opportunity. Your time....

you would be wrong on many counts. Its the evolution of all primates.

and

"(Hominids include humans, chimpanzees, gorillas and their extinct ancestors, whereas hominins include those species that evolved after the human lineage (of the genus Homo) split from the chimpanzees.)"

Who Was Homo Floresiensis? | Facts About the Hobbit

Evidence of Evolution
Scientists have discovered a wealth of evidence concerning human evolution, and this evidence comes in many forms. Thousands of human fossils enable researchers and students to study the changes that occurred in brain and body size, locomotion, diet, and other aspects regarding the way of life of early human species over the past 6 million years. Millions of stone tools, figurines and paintings, footprints, and other traces of human behavior in the prehistoric record tell about where and how early humans lived and when certain technological innovations were invented. Study of human genetics show how closely related we are to other primates – in fact, how connected we are with all other organisms – and can indicate the prehistoric migrations of our species, Homo sapiens, all over the world. Advances in the dating of fossils and artifacts help determine the age of those remains, which contributes to the big picture of when different milestones in becoming human evolved.

Exciting scientific discoveries continually add to the broader and deeper public knowledge of human evolution. Find out about the latest evidence in our What’s Hot in Human Originssection.

Behavior
Explore the evidence of early human behavior—from ancient footprints to stone tools and the earliest symbols and art – along with similarities and differences in the behavior of other primate species.

3D Collection
Explore our 3D collection of fossils, artifacts, primates, and other animals.

Human Fossils
From skeletons to teeth, early human fossils have been found of more than 6,000 individuals. Look into our digital 3-D collection and learn about fossil human species.

Genetics
Our genes offer evidence of how closely we are related to one another – and of our species’ connection with all other organisms.

Dating
The layers that contain fossils and archeological clues can be dated by more than a dozen techniques that use the basic principles of physics, chemistry, and Earth sciences. Some techniques can even estimate the age of the ancient teeth and bones directly. Advances in dating have made human evolution very exciting!

Human Evolution Evidence | The Smithsonian Institution's Human Origins Program

Neanderthals, Humans Interbred, DNA Proves
Neanderthals, Humans Interbred, DNA Proves : Discovery News

DNA Study Shows Why Neanderthals, Modern Humans Are So Different
DNA Study Shows Why Neanderthals, Modern Humans Are So Different

New Research Confirms 'Out Of Africa' Theory Of Human Evolution

New Research Confirms 'Out Of Africa' Theory Of Human Evolution -- ScienceDaily

shawn001

We are still evolving

5 Signs Humans Are Still Evolving

5 Signs Humans Are Still Evolving | Mental Floss

also

One Common Ancestor Behind Blue Eyes

"
People with blue eyes have a single, common ancestor, according to new research.

A team of scientists has tracked down a genetic mutation that leads to blue eyes. The mutation occurred between 6,000 and 10,000 years ago. Before then, there were no blue eyes.

"Originally, we all had brown eyes," said Hans Eiberg from the Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine at the University of Copenhagen.

The mutation affected the so-called OCA2 gene, which is involved in the production of melanin, the pigment that gives color to our hair, eyes and skin.

"A genetic mutation affecting the OCA2 gene in our chromosomes resulted in the creation of a 'switch,' which literally 'turned off' the ability to produce brown eyes," Eiberg said.

The genetic switch is located in the gene adjacent to OCA2 and rather than completely turning off the gene, the switch limits its action, which reduces the production of melanin in the iris. In effect, the turned-down switch diluted brown eyes to blue.

If the OCA2 gene had been completely shut down, our hair, eyes and skin would be melanin-less, a condition known as albinism.

One Common Ancestor Behind Blue Eyes

jonathan180iq

Nope, this generation means this generation. But if you do not understand the context in which these words are being used, you will not understand which generation this generation is.

The problem with your interpretation is that it empowers any nobody into thinking that the phrase is meant for the generation of the present reader...

Here is a small list of people who thought as you do and were terribly mistaken:

List of dates predicted for apocalyptic events - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe you are the one who insisted that things be read in their proper context, right?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I saw a pear and an apple in the same bowl so the pear must have evolved from an apple. The association of being in the same bowl is not a link.

So, I take it you are not aware of how throughly out of date the missing link card is?