• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Humans did NOT evolve from the common ancestor of Apes

Sonofason

Ok how is the definition of Burden of Proof on wikipedia substandard and false?
Well, there is no such thing as a burden of proof that is necessary for a truth to be truth. The truth is under no burden whatsoever. The truth is the truth. It is the unbeliever of a truth who desires to compel a person making a statement of truth with a burden of proof to show that his claim is true. But the truth giver is under no such burden. It's not my problem if you don't know the truth. I am quite content knowing the truth without you. If I had the sort of proof of truth that you seek, I'd be more than happy to share it. But I don't have what you seek. I just have the truth.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
No Jesus never said that. Jesus was telling his disciples that He would return when Israel, shows signs of new life, like a fig tree in the beginning of summer. Israel was indeed that tender branch in 1949, and the generation that saw this happen is the generation Jesus was referring to. The fig tree is Israel. And "this generation" is almost complete. Jesus is coming soon, and He's going to take you by surprise, like a thief in the night. You can count on it.
Nope, you are completely wrong - he said within a generation, before the people he was talking to had died. The stuff about fig leaves you made up.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
No, it's just that I understand the parable that you don't understand.
How do you know it was a parable? A:You don't. It was written as an account of a real exchange, not a parable.
Sure mate, you can dismiss anything you don't like in the bible as parable - no idea what the point would be.

Sonofason

How do you know it was a parable? A:You don't. It was written as an account of a real exchange, not a parable.
Sure mate, you can dismiss anything you don't like in the bible as parable - no idea what the point would be.
Um, it was a parable because Jesus said it was a parable.

""Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near;"

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Um, it was a parable because Jesus said it was a parable.

""Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near;"
Umm.....dude, that is a different passage entirely. I am talking about Mathew 24:34. Connecting the fig tree parable to Mathew 24:34 was very optimisitic of you indeed.

Sonofason

Umm.....dude, that is a different passage entirely. I am talking about Mathew 23:24. Connecting the fig tree parable to Mathew 24:34 was very optimisitic of you indeed.
There is no mention of "this generation" in Mathew 23:24.

Sonofason

Sorry, 24:34.
That verse is in reference to the same parable I spoke of.
"Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away."
(Mathew 24-32-35)

It remains as I have said. It is important to read a verse in context.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
That verse is in reference to the same parable I spoke of.
"Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away."
(Mathew 24-32-35)

It remains as I have said. It is important to read a verse in context.
LOL You missed the bit about THIS GENERATION SHALL NOT PASS, which means that some of those listening will still live. But anyway this idea of dismissing everything as parable - wow! That is just brilliant - why don't you just extend your approach to all of scripture? That way it all reduces to parable and no longer conflicts with atheism?

Seriously though, the context does not change the meaning of the phrase THIS GENERATION, it remains a clear statement that he will return within a few years - no matter how desperately you spin it.

Sonofason

LOL You missed the bit about THIS GENERATION SHALL NOT PASS, which means that some of those listening will still live. But anyway this idea of dismissing everything as parable - wow! That is just brilliant - why don't you just extend your approach to all of scripture? That way it all reduces to parable and no longer conflicts with atheism?

Seriously though, the context does not change the meaning of the phrase THIS GENERATION, it remains a clear statement that he will return within a few years - no matter how desperately you spin it.
There will come a generation of people that see the fig tree putting forth tender branches. "This generation" (the one that sees this happening) will see the end times, and the return of Christ.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
There will come a generation of people that see the fig tree putting forth tender branches. "This generation" (the one that sees this happening) will see the end times, and the return of Christ.
Oh so you just pretend that when he said 'this generation' looking at the people near him - he actually meant a far distant future generation of people? Ohhhhhh........of course.

Sonofason

LOL, yes - clearly when he said THIS generation he meant NOT THIS generation but one as yet unborn.
How could I have missed that!
Well, you apparently don't have in you the Spirit of Discernment, which comes from God. I advise you to read Mather 23 and 24 over again. If it's still unclear, read it again. If it's still unclear, read it again. If it's still unclear, read it again......

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Well, you apparently don't have in you the Spirit of Discernment, which comes from God. I advise you to read Mather 23 and 24 over again. If it's still unclear, read it again. If it's still unclear, read it again. If it's still unclear, read it again......
Uh huh, and if I read it again and again THIS GENERATION will magically turn into SOME FAR FUTURE GENERATION.

So if I stare long enough I will see the Emperors new clothes huh?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Uh huh, and if I read it again and again THIS GENERATION will magically turn into SOME FAR FUTURE GENERATION.

Perhaps "Spirit of Discernment" means 'magic decoder ring'?
Seems we should have kept them?

Sonofason

Not necessarily. Not everyone is chosen to understand. God intends for some people to remain in utter darkness.