• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hunter Biden trial set to begin Monday

Do you think he is guilty? Do you think he will be found guilty?

• yes he is guilty

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • no he isn't guilty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes he will be found guilty

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • no he won't be found guilty

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

We Never Know

No Slack
The Hunter Biden trial on federal gun charges is set to begin Monday.

This is a two question poll that will allow two choices.

The first -do you think he is guilty or not
The second -do you think he will be found guilty or not

Remember no one is/should be above the laws.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Innocent on all counts. Just watch.

F1fan

Veteran Member
This crime is one that is seldom charged. There was a plea deal that was later cancelled for some reason.

I know little about this case except that he got the gun when he was on drugs, and the crime was lying on the BATF form that asks if you are taking drugs. He never used the gun, and only had it for several days. So there is a big issue of whether he intended to break the law, which takes some degree of mental clarity and deliberate intent. Being high on drugs offers some protection from mens rea.

Let's note that Biden's DOJ is allowing this case to happen. How does this compare to Trump's claim that Biden's DOJ is behind his state charges in New York where it has no authority?

I think he has a good chance to get a not guilty verdict. If the defence includes how there ws a plea deal where these charges were dropped and they were only charged later in what apvears to be politically motivated, that might be significant.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The gun charge is probably unconstitutional. It has never been tested because it is almost always used as part of a peal bargain and one cannot appeal a plea bargain. One can always reject the bargain and go to trial, but one cannot pick and choose what parts of a bargain one will accept.

An law that is unconstitutional can still be of some use. People will have that charge as part of their record. One that Biden was ready to agree to with the former deal that had been made. When one looks at his record he did not get a sweetheart deal, he got the same sort of deal that a person with a similar record would have gotten. In this case the Republicans made it political and managed to convince the DA to back out on his deal.

With proper defense he has a very good chance of getting off and an even better chance of beating it by appeal if found guilty.

esmith

Veteran Member
The gun charge is probably unconstitutional. It has never been tested because it is almost always used as part of a peal bargain and one cannot appeal a plea bargain. One can always reject the bargain and go to trial, but one cannot pick and choose what parts of a bargain one will accept.

An law that is unconstitutional can still be of some use. People will have that charge as part of their record. One that Biden was ready to agree to with the former deal that had been made. When one looks at his record he did not get a sweetheart deal, he got the same sort of deal that a person with a similar record would have gotten. In this case the Republicans made it political and managed to convince the DA to back out on his deal.

With proper defense he has a very good chance of getting off and an even better chance of beating it by appeal if found guilty.
Hmm, think you might be misinformed.
Example why I say this.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

I don't know if he is guilty or not, so I'll have to see how this plays out.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Hmm, think you might be misinformed.
Example why I say this.
It's good to see that conservatives want gun access reform. How about extend it to those who aren't named Biden, too?

And whatever happened with the gun case of a guy who had a history of criminal activity, and was an abuser in his relationship, but he sued to be able to keep his guns despite being a criminal? Anyone know this case?

We Never Know

No Slack
It's good to see that conservatives want gun access reform. How about extend it to those who aren't named Biden, too?

They are. Read the article.
And whatever happened with the gun case of a guy who had a history of criminal activity, and was an abuser in his relationship, but he sued to be able to keep his guns despite being a criminal? Anyone know this case?
Don't know it. Got any more info?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
This one?

Writing the February 2 opinion for the unanimous panel, Judge Cory T. Wilson rejected the government's argument that Second Amendment applies only to "law abiding, respectable citizens," citing Justice Amy Coney Barrett's dissent in Kanter v. Barr, when she served as a judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.[3][7] Justice Barrett argued, "Founding era legislatures did not strip felons of the right to bear arms simply because of their status as felons," or impose any "virtue-based restrictions" on that right.[3]
Judge Wilson then applied the historical tradition test articulated in Bruen in considering whether the historical analogues put forward by the Justice Department were applicable to Section 922(g)(8).[7] The Justice Department had submitted three categories of possible analogues: "(1) English and American laws...providing for the disarmament of 'dangerous' people, (2) English and American 'going armed' laws, and (3) colonial and early state surety laws".[7] The February 2 opinion stated that the historical laws disarming "dangerous" classes of people were not similar to the modern law, because "The purpose of these 'dangerousness' laws was the preservation of political and social order, not the protection of an identified person from the specific threat posed by another".[9]
The revised March 2 opinion included an expanded concurrence from Judge James C. Ho, arguing that "civil protective orders are too often misused as a tactical device in divorce proceedings – and issued without any actual threat of danger".[6][10] Judge Wilson went further and argued that Section 922(g)(8) could even put victims of domestic violence "in greater danger than before",[6] because they would be unable to defend themselves against their abusers with guns, if a judge had issued a "mutual" protective order.[10]

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This crime is one that is seldom charged. There was a plea deal that was later cancelled for some reason.

I know little about this case except that he got the gun when he was on drugs, and the crime was lying on the BATF form that asks if you are taking drugs. He never used the gun, and only had it for several days. So there is a big issue of whether he intended to break the law, which takes some degree of mental clarity and deliberate intent. Being high on drugs offers some protection from mens rea.

Let's note that Biden's DOJ is allowing this case to happen. How does this compare to Trump's claim that Biden's DOJ is behind his state charges in New York where it has no authority?

I think he has a good chance to get a not guilty verdict. If the defence includes how there ws a plea deal where these charges were dropped and they were only charged later in what apvears to be politically motivated, that might be significant.
Duh!
It's obviously political.
Biden was out to get Trump.
Now he's out to get his own son.
Soon Biden will call for his own prosecution.

F1fan

Veteran Member
This one?

Writing the February 2 opinion for the unanimous panel, Judge Cory T. Wilson rejected the government's argument that Second Amendment applies only to "law abiding, respectable citizens," citing Justice Amy Coney Barrett's dissent in Kanter v. Barr, when she served as a judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.[3][7] Justice Barrett argued, "Founding era legislatures did not strip felons of the right to bear arms simply because of their status as felons," or impose any "virtue-based restrictions" on that right.[3]
Judge Wilson then applied the historical tradition test articulated in Bruen in considering whether the historical analogues put forward by the Justice Department were applicable to Section 922(g)(8).[7] The Justice Department had submitted three categories of possible analogues: "(1) English and American laws...providing for the disarmament of 'dangerous' people, (2) English and American 'going armed' laws, and (3) colonial and early state surety laws".[7] The February 2 opinion stated that the historical laws disarming "dangerous" classes of people were not similar to the modern law, because "The purpose of these 'dangerousness' laws was the preservation of political and social order, not the protection of an identified person from the specific threat posed by another".[9]
The revised March 2 opinion included an expanded concurrence from Judge James C. Ho, arguing that "civil protective orders are too often misused as a tactical device in divorce proceedings – and issued without any actual threat of danger".[6][10] Judge Wilson went further and argued that Section 922(g)(8) could even put victims of domestic violence "in greater danger than before",[6] because they would be unable to defend themselves against their abusers with guns, if a judge had issued a "mutual" protective order.[10]
I can’t believe the SCOTUS took it. The guy is a clear threat.

PureX

Veteran Member
The law says Hunter Biden is innocent until he is proven guilty. And it is not my job to prove him guilty or to decide if that proof has been met by a prosecutor or not. So if you're asking me about Biden all I can say is that he is innocent, and that it's not my place to say anything more about it.

We Never Know

No Slack
I can’t believe the SCOTUS took it. The guy is a clear threat.
I agree he shouldn't have any weapons.

However from what I read I didn't see any convictions from any of the shootings.

I only saw mention of this conviction .. He was convicted of unlawful firearm possession while being under a court ordered restraining order.

His argument is about the government's ability to prohibit firearm possession by a person with a civil domestic violence restraining order in the absence of a corresponding criminal domestic violence conviction or charge.