• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*[I believe] Atheism is an absurd worldview

Gambit

Meaningless and absurd are two different things. Neither is dependent upon another. Meaning is also vague and subjective. So the basis for meaning is also flawed.

Merriam-Webster defines "absurd" as "meaningless." If you're an atheist, then you view the world as ultimately purposeless and meaningless and therefore absurd.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Merriam-Webster defines "absurd" as "meaningless." If you're an atheist, then you view the world as ultimately purposeless and meaningless and therefore absurd.
Starting the conversation afresh. Well done.

If it was explained earlier, I may have missed it: what is the relation between this "god" thing that atheists don't believe in and purpose or meaning? How does god supply meaning?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I thought atheism was supposed to be one worldview where secular Jews and Buddhists and Raelians and "classical western atheists" all shared the same atheist worldview?
I would include atheist secular Jews and Buddhists under the same umbrella as 'classical western atheism' in having the worldview that life has no designed purpose.

ArtieE

LOL. I don't know any atheists who don't find it meaningful to live a good life, have good friends, have a good job, be in a good relationship and raise his/her children to the best of his/her ability regardless whether gods exist or not.

Noa

This thread is called "Atheism is an absurd worldview". I would say using the correct definition of atheism is imperative.

Your semantic distinction was not relevant to the fact that atheism is not a worldview, belief system, or anything similar. If you take the definition I gave or the definition you gave, the rest of what I said is not impacted.

ArtieE

I would include atheist secular Jews and Buddhists under the same umbrella as 'classical western atheism' in having the worldview that life has no designed purpose.
So atheists who believe that aliens created life for a purpose don't fit under the umbrella of "atheism" even though they don't believe in gods?

Gambit

Your semantic distinction was not relevant to the fact that atheism is not a worldview, belief system, or anything similar. If you take the definition I gave or the definition you gave, the rest of what I said is not impacted.

Atheism does have a particular view of the world, namely, it views the world as Godless. Such a view has implications. One of those implications is that atheism views the world nonteleological. Viewing the world as nonteleological is viewing the world as ultimately purposeless and meaningless. Such a view of the world is absurd one by definition.

Gambit

Starting the conversation afresh. Well done.

If it was explained earlier, I may have missed it: what is the relation between this "god" thing that atheists don't believe in and purpose or meaning? How does god supply meaning?

"Every thing is directed to good as its end." - St. Thomas Aquinas

God is the supreme Good. It's really that simple.

Noa

Atheism does have a particular view of the world, namely, it views the world as Godless. Such a view has implications. One of those implications is that atheism views the world nonteleological. Viewing the world as nonteleological is viewing the world as ultimately purposeless and meaningless. Such a view of the world is absurd one by definition.

That is not a worldview. Using your own pet definition for words is not a productive way of discussing with people.

Definition of weltanschauung
Popularity: Bottom 50% of words
plural weltanschauungs play\-əŋz\ or welt·an·schau·ung·en play\-əŋ-ən\

1. : a comprehensive conception or apprehension of the world especially from a specific standpoint

A Vestigial Mote

Theism does have a particular view of the world, namely, it views the world as Godful. Such a view has implications. One of those implications is that theism views the world teleological. Viewing the world as teleological is viewing the world as ultimately purposeful and meaningful. Such a view of the world is a scheming one by definition. Because the thesaurus I consulted listed "scheme" as a synonym of purpose, and I chose that word because it has negative connotations. Do you understand?

ArtieE

If you need to believe in the existence of some god to give your life purpose and meaning feel free just as long as you don't harm anybody.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The belief that the world and life have no designed purpose.
There is a purpose to things man makes, he designs things, and even circumstances, to meet his needs. The natural world doesn't lack for purpose, so much as it lacks for man, specifically the mind. From the view of the atheist, and in the absence of an alternative mind, nature doesn't need man. "Nature" is what doesn't need us to get done.

Midnight Rain

I am not an atheist per-se but even if I was what basis do you claim that a worldview that doesn't include a god would be meaningless?

Also the definition you linked to shows
extremely silly, foolish, or unreasonable : completely ridiculous
I found no mention of "meaningless" anywhere in it.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I have yet to see a definition of worldview which was not a set of beliefs, propositions or the sum total of how a person sees the world. Could you provide one?

What's ironic about accepting that some words have more narrow definitions than others? Is the fact that you have a narrower definition of "apple" than you do of "fruit" ironic?

Hmm, think that might be a bad analogy.

And I have already pointed out that atheism entails a set of beliefs.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I have yet to see a definition of worldview which was not a set of beliefs, propositions or the sum total of how a person sees the world. Could you provide one?

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/worldview

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/worldview

This is really a simple matter and I am surprised at the vehemence with which it is met.

Atheism of every sort entails some belief about the world. That one can distinguish atheism from theism implies that it is a worldview.

I have already listed some of the beliefs that are true of atheists, excepting implicit atheists.

If you are an atheist, all you need to ask yourself is does your atheism inform how you think of the world? Does it entail anything?

If so, then it is a worldview. Though a few might try to argue that it is not comprehensive enough to establish a "worldview" I disagree. To hold such means that the concept of worldview can only apply to individuals. For no set of beliefs are identical. Clearly, this world is used to describe categories. How can this be so, in such a way that excludes atheists? It does not matter that atheists may diverge in various categories, if some set of beliefs are entailed from their lack of belief then atheism is a worldview. This works with every category of atheist, excepting implicit atheists not able to form belief....so babies, rocks, people with brain damage. Moreover, negations can entail to form a view. And since we can describe our view by what it is not, this too adds to the merit of the term atheists worldview.

We are describing similarities in how a category of people view life. When we label that category atheists, there are similarities. And as such, we can appropriately group those similarities.

One need be careful in doing such, so that the actual beliefs are entailed by membership to the group, so saying that part of the worldview is empiricism, or materialism is erroneous, but saying there is such a thing as an atheist worldview is not.