• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*[I believe] Atheism is an absurd worldview

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Perhaps they seem inflexible because of you're pigeon-holed definition that presumes that atheism entails an entire world view.

If you characterize atheism and frame it in your mind as inflexible, you will be assigning those values to them anytime you hear the label even if they are not really there.
I wasn't speaking of atheism as inflexible in that second post, just some RF atheists.

With that said, you are being pretty dishonest if you claim that it's "off topic" to point out that it literally only applies to one thing. No world view is based around atheism, rather atheism is a result of skepticism which bases itself around the value of verifiable and reproducible evidence.
You may not see a worldview in what you describe, but in a person who is open-minded, rational and logical, as well as systematic, I see a particular world being revealed to them, a world different from the person enveloped in, for instance, dogma and superstition, or mystery and magic.

I see a worldview.

People can cry about that all day, but life has been better since that attitude has permeated the sciences. For some, they take it further and discount even a deistic god (which itself is somewhat unnecessary from a philosophical standpoint and just pushes back many questions a step without really answering anything).

"I create my own purpose" claim would be valid if one really knew what the I was. Else, if the I is generated solely of material interactions then the purpose was created by those interactions and one has only an illusion of being the creator of a purpose.
Enough with the pseudo-intellectualism please.

My "I" is the same I as your "I", therefore, according to your logic, your purpose is an illusion as well.

Your "higher state of consciousness" is based solely on a book... a material possession.

Please explain *your* purpose.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
Enough with the pseudo-intellectualism please.

My "I" is the same I as your "I", therefore, according to your logic, your purpose is an illusion as well.

Some do not act based on a notion of 'I am this body'.

Your "higher state of consciousness" is based solely on a book... a material possession.

What book? A book cannot reveal itself.

Please explain *your* purpose.

No one ever seeks trouble and strife for oneself. In whatever one apparently seeks: power, love, knowledge, or money, one is actually seeking unbroken love/peace/bliss.

All other so called purposes are based on an illusion of a separate self.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
Atheism is pure blindness

That reflects theism, more so atheism.

My views are based on knowledge, research, and education.

You have to remember, theist are the ones who believe in something that seems to be not there, and does not exist scientifically or academically outside mythology.

Maybe you forget all theist define god differently as if they relied on imagination and mythology only.

Atheists want the whole world to be blind as a matter of fact.

We want some theist to become educated and open their closed minds.

Some do not act based on a notion of 'I am this body'.

What book? A book cannot reveal itself.

No one ever seeks trouble and strife for oneself. In whatever one apparently seeks: power, love, knowledge, or money, one is actually seeking unbroken love/peace/bliss.

All other so called purposes are based on an illusion of a separate self.
Unfortunately, you have the same body parts as atheists, so you are of your body. There is no divine intervention somehow making you better than everyone else.

If you don't have the book, you don't have the word of your god, and therefore, since he won't actually reveal himself, you rely solely on the book. A material possession. Without the book, you have no religion.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Atheism is pure blindness. And it's willful. Atheists want the whole world to be blind as a matter of fact.
How is it blind to not accept things at face value? How is it not blind to accept the words in ancient books that were written by long-dead men who knew very little about the world, biology, cosmology, and psychology?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Atheism is pure blindness. And it's willful. Atheists want the whole world to be blind as a matter of fact.
Please present your definition of the word "blind".
I am curious to know if you are using a weird definition of the word or if you are just being willfully ignorant.

atanu

Premium Member
Unfortunately, you have the same body parts as atheists, so you are of your body. There is no divine intervention somehow making you better than everyone else.

If you don't have the book, you don't have the word of your god, and therefore, since he won't actually reveal himself, you rely solely on the book. A material possession. Without the book, you have no religion.

Well. You only exemplify what I am saying ... But without realising.

The book helps by pointing to the kingdom within. And then some seek within by introversion within one's own intellect. And some keep thinking that the book is an external object.

In fact, no object is external, since all things are in awareness alone.

Last edited:
The atheist denies that world has any ultimate telos or purpose.

Theists can believe there is some ultimate purpose, however, that doesn't make their beliefs true. Theists and Atheists live in the same world, experience the same things, and in the end, the great ultimate purposes that theists want to believe in don't change anything. Reality is what it is and the evidence suggests that reality doesn't care if humanity exists or not let alone what we believe. The universe does not revolve around humanity, we're just another species that will have its day in the sun and eventually go extinct. Sorry if that's a downer for you but that's reality.

Gambit

OP's assertion is absurd. There is no "atheist worldview". Atheism only defines a person's position on one specific thing. Trying to color someone by a single attribute is a very futile way to try to judge a "worldview".

Just curious. What's a Shaivite?