• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*[I believe] Atheism is an absurd worldview

ArtieE

Which requires knowledge of chair, present, and "is." This is because belief is contingent on knowledge.
Oh I see where you're going. To believe a god exists you must know about this god, and to have no belief in this god you don't need to know about this god.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Oh I see where you're going. To believe a god exists you must know about this god, and to have no belief in this god you don't need to know about this god.
remove god from the equation for a moment. I am saying that we cannot speak of belief without also talking about knowledge. To talk of a belief that a chair is in front of you requires expressing a belief that a chair=chair. Knowledge is inextricably tied to belief, with good reason. Beliefs are based on other beliefs. And knowledge is a justified true belief. If you follow the train backward you will see that you need to first assume some belief is justified and true.

ArtieE

remove god from the equation for a moment. I am saying that we cannot speak of belief without also talking about knowledge.
Yeah, I think I get it. I can have a belief in something but I have to know what that something is. I can have no belief in something with or without knowing what that something is. I'm with you there.

Curious George

Veteran Member
[
That is an older philosophy

Belief can graduate into knowledge.

YOU do not believe 2 + 2 = 4 You know the answer is 4. 4 is not a belief.
2+2=4 is considered a belief by many. An a priori analytic belief by some and a a priori synthetic belief by others. But to believe something is to assert it as most likely true to absolutely true. Are you suggesting that you do not assert that 2+2=4 is true. that seems contradictory to knowing that 2+2=4.

outhouse

Atheistically
2+2=4 is considered a belief by many

There is a difference between belief and knowledge.

While a first grader may believe the answer is 4 because he is not sure, most adults know the answer is 4 there is no belief about it.

Belief = not sure but I think it is

Knowledge = know

ArtieE

While a first grader may believe the answer is 4 because he is not sure, most adults know the answer is 4 there is no belief about it.

Knowledge = know
I think I know what he means. 2+2=4. To believe or know that 2+2=4 you must know what 2 is and + is and = is and 4 is.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Factually False.

Belief can be tied to faith, which means belief with no evidence at all.

Belief has nothing to do with the actual truth.
Something needn't be true to be asserted as most likely true or absolutely true. One can do that with faith, I never suggested otherwise.

Curious George

Veteran Member

Knowledge = know

Belief =/= not sure but I think.

If a believes x, a asserts x is true. I suppose that you could change assert to holds, because assert allows for lying which obviously wouldn't be belief. But either way you should get my point.

It doesn't help to define a term with the term itself as you have done here with knowledge=know

Midnight Rain

I think I know what he means. 2+2=4. To believe or know that 2+2=4 you must know what 2 is and + is and = is and 4 is.
They might know 二加二等于四. You might know 二加二等于四. But you don't know what 二,加,等,于 or 四 is. But your knowledge would be the same.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Yes, but math gets a little tricky. Kant suggested math was a priori synthetic knowledge. So given the terms 2+2= and with knowledge of the term 4 we can also do the math to know that 2+2=4.

The first grader who does the math wrong or just guesses knows what the terms are but is making an error in justification. Alternatively, if they guess the right answer but did not do the math, then they have still made an error in justification so they don't know.

What outhouse is referring to is the concept that after doing the math, and understanding the math 2+2=4 becomes a definition like 2 or + or 4. We can then rely on this knowledge as surely as we can rely on the definition of a chair. But even the definition of a chair is still a belief. It is just a justified true belief that we must assume true, and in the case of 2+2=4 is true in a specific system.

outhouse

Atheistically
What outhouse is referring to is the concept that after doing the math, and understanding the math 2+2=4 becomes a definition like 2 or + or 4. We can then rely on this knowledge as surely as we can rely on the definition of a chair

Has nothing to do with "rely"

It has everything to do with the DIFFERENCE between BELIEF and KNOW.

They are not the same

Curious George

Veteran Member
They might know 二加二等于四. You might know 二加二等于四. But you don't know what 二,加,等,于 or 四 is. But your knowledge would be the same.
We needn't the symbols to know what 2 + = or 4 mean. It is knowledge of the concept not knowledge of the symbols that is necessary.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Has nothing to do with "rely"

It has everything to do with the DIFFERENCE between BELIEF and KNOW.

They are not the same
Know here is to believe the definition is just so, for just such reasoning, and have that definition be just so for just such reasoning.

Hence, justified true belief. You insist upon a difference but do not elaborate on one. A justified true belief is not uncertain, nor is it untrue, nor is it unreasoned. What difference can be claimed between a justified true belief and knowledge?

ArtieE

What outhouse is referring to is the concept that after doing the math, and understanding the math 2+2=4 becomes a definition like 2 or + or 4. We can then rely on this knowledge as surely as we can rely on the definition of a chair. But even the definition of a chair is still a belief. It is just a justified true belief that we must assume true, and in the case of 2+2=4 is true in a specific system.
I think I see your point. What we see as knowledge is nothing more than more or less justified belief. We can never know anything. If a person says "I know this" I don't know this too, I just believe what he believes since we have no reference point where we can say that something is 100% true.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
But whether or not the film IS objectively good or not is not a judgement you can make, as opinion is necessarily subjective.
Whether or not the film IS objectively good doesn't differ from whether or not I think it's good. My judgement is meant to potray the movie objectively--that's the use of judgements. When I judge it good, I communicate that it's actually good. Further, there is no objectivity beyond that.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I think I see your point. What we see as knowledge is nothing more than more or less justified belief. We can never know anything. If a person says "I know this" I don't know this too, I just believe what he believes since we have no reference point where we can say that something is 100% true.
No, what we see as knowledge must necessarily be so. What you are describing sounds like solipsism. I am saying things must necessarily be so, given anything. These givens are part of what we accept in order to order our experience. We can try to create a system without these and to some extent that works. But we can not deny certain things such as A=A and maintain anything. Since we maintain things we must necessarily accept this is so. Given this we are given math etc. From acceptance of this a priori knowledge, we can order our experiences and get to other knowledge.