• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*[I believe] Atheism is an absurd worldview

Curious George

Veteran Member
That depends entirely on the conversation. If we were discussing the differences between different kind of fruit, citrus would certainly be part of the discussion. However, when discussing the difference between fruit and vegetables, citrus isn't necessarily relevant. In this case, we are discussing the difference between belief and absence of belief, so knowledge (while still a subset of belief) doesn't really factor into that discussion.

That's not necessarily true. Case in point, I recently saw the new Star Wars movie and I concluded that it was good. "The new Star Wars movie is good" is a belief I hold; a position that I hold to be true. However, I don't KNOW that the new Star Wars movie is good - it is not a justified true belief, it is an opinion (which is another subset of belief).
yes but in order to hold that belief you require knowledge of the Star wars movie do you not?

Yet, belief or absence of belief is wholly contingent on knowledge.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Case in point, I recently saw the new Star Wars movie and I concluded that it was good. "The new Star Wars movie is good" is a belief I hold; a position that I hold to be true. However, I don't KNOW that the new Star Wars movie is good - it is not a justified true belief, it is an opinion (which is another subset of belief).
If you don't know, then no one does.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
yes but in order to hold that belief you require knowledge of the Star wars movie do you not?
Nope. In fact, I don't even have to have seen the movie to formulate a belief on it. You need not "know" anything to formulate a belief.

Yet, belief or absence of belief is wholly contingent on knowledge.
What knowledge is a babies absence of belief in giraffes based on?

Midnight Rain

Well... technically we don't know the physics of what we call thought... yet... and it may be governed by something like molecular physics... so what you perceive as a choice is simply an interaction between molecules acting on a given set of physical, predictable rules.

Regardless... the point is we don't know, and won't know if we, humanity, keep stopping at the explanation that an imaginary friend decides it all and he wants you to wear a special hat.
If the evidence comes back I will accept it as such. However even then nothing will change as we pragmatically assume free will from the get go or we can't function.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Nope. In fact, I don't even have to have seen the movie to formulate a belief on it. You need not "know" anything to formulate a belief.

What knowledge is a babies absence of belief in giraffes based on?
Yes, knowledge is required to formulate belief. Otherwise one only has experience not belief.

Babies absence of belief in giraffes are based on their absence of knowledge.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Yes, knowledge is required to formulate belief. Otherwise one only has experience not belief.
Experience and belief are not mutually exclusive. A belief can be formulated through experience rather than knowledge.

Babies absence of belief in giraffes are based on their absence of knowledge.
Now you're just grasping. You claimed belief and absence of belief is wholly contingent on knowledge, and you are now claiming you can base an absence of belief on ABSENCE of knowledge. So which is it? Is knowledge required or not?

Curious George

Veteran Member
Experience and belief are not mutually exclusive. A belief can be formulated through experience rather than knowledge.

Now you're just grasping. You claimed belief and absence of belief is wholly contingent on knowledge, and you are now claiming you can base an absence of belief on ABSENCE of knowledge. So which is it? Is knowledge required or not?
I am not grasping. If you lack knowledge, then such entails a lack of belief

No, one can have experience, but to have belief they must have knowledge. Otherwise there is no order to the experience to form belief. With order you assume truth, that is to say you need a priori belief, that you must assume to be knowledge before you can have any synthetic belief. Otherwise you are literally just experiencing the world, not making any judgement.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I am not grasping. If you lack knowledge, then such entails a lack of belief
So is an absence of belief contingent on knowledge or an absence of knowledge? Are there any positions a person can hold that are not contingent on knowledge?

No, one can have experience, but to have belief they must have knowledge.
So what is "justified true belief" compared with plain "belief"? Is there a difference?

Otherwise there is no order to the experience to form belief. With order you assume truth, that is to say you need a priori belief, that you must assume to be knowledge before you can have any synthetic belief. Otherwise you are literally just experiencing the world, not making any judgement.
I'm afraid barely any of this is comprehensible. Define "order to experience" and define "synthetic belief".

Curious George

Veteran Member
So is an absence of belief contingent on knowledge or an absence of knowledge? Are there any positions a person can hold that are not contingent on knowledge?

So what is "justified true belief" compared with plain "belief"? Is there a difference?

I'm afraid barely any of this is comprehensible. Define "order to experience" and define "synthetic belief".
If something's existence is contingent on your existence is not the things lack of existence entailed by your non existence?

Justified true belief is just that. However, one needs to assume truth before one can believe. A=A is a a priori belief that is justified by its necessity to any systematic ordering which we must assume to be true. Without a justified true belief such as this, we have no system within which to form beliefs.

the difference between justified true belief and plain belief is that justified true belief is justified and true.

in order to make sense of any of your experiences they must be ordered. hence, "order to experience."

a synthetic belief would be a belief derived from experience as opposed to an analytic belief, belief derived from definition.