• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*[I believe] Atheism is an absurd worldview

ArtieE

And, once again, hard atheists are not allowed to be atheists.
ROTFL. Atheists don't believe gods exist. Strong atheists don't believe gods exist AND actively believe gods don't exist. It's just a matter of being able to understand that when we say just atheist, one word, we mean a person who doesn't believe in gods, and when we say strong atheist, two words, we mean a person who doesn't believe in gods and also actively believes gods don't exist.

ArtieE

And atheism is here.
Atheism, Definition And Overview http://jiddanand.blogspot.com/2016/01/atheism-definition-and-overview.html

While I know that what is True.
From the blog:

"Take the proposition, “God exists”. One could affirm the proposition, which is theism. Deny the proposition, which is atheism, or withhold judgment with regard to the proposition, which is agnosticism."

The correct formulation is "Take the proposition, "God exists". One could affirm the proposition, which is theism. Deny the proposition, which is strong atheism, or withhold judgment with regard to the proposition, which is (weak) atheism.

Mixing in agnosticism which is about knowledge when we are talking about beliefs is like bringing up oranges when we speak about apples.

"Definition of atheism in English :-
noun: Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods."

This definition doesn't make sense. If you lack a belief in gods you also lack a belief in God. If you only lacked a belief in God and didn't lack a belief in "gods" you wouldn't be an atheist.

Otherwise it's fine.

atanu

Premium Member
It is the same way Joseph Smith conceived the Book of Mormon.

Why don't you believe in that one?
Since you perceive all individuals and their books to be discrete objects, I do not think that you can judge objectively how another person conceived something. I grant that you can have many opinions.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Mixing in agnosticism which is about knowledge when we are talking about beliefs is like bringing up oranges when we speak about apples.

I think that practically speaking it makes most sense to look at theism/atheism as a continuum, rather like Dawkins did in the "God delusion". "Don't know" is the neutral position in the middle of the line.

ArtieE

I think that practically speaking it makes most sense to look at theism/atheism as a continuum, rather like Dawkins did in the "God delusion". "Don't know" is the neutral position in the middle of the line.
If you want to use the continuum, then use the continuum. But when we don't, this is how it works.

Theist believes god(s) exist
Strong atheist believes god(s) don't exist
Weak atheist doesn't believe any of them

Gnostic theist knows god(s) exist
Gnostic atheist knows god(s) don't exist
Agnostic doesn't know

Curious George

Veteran Member
So when you ask a person what he believes about a subject it's the same as asking the person what he knows about the subject?
Agnostics believe that the truth or falsity of the proposition is unknown or unknowable. To withhold judgement on the proposition such that one does not believe or does not disbelieve entails a belief that the truth or falsity of the proposition is unknown or unknowable. Knowledge is most commonly accepted to be justified true belief. That is to say, that knowledge is completely relevant in a discussion about belief. In fact, everything you have to say about yourself on this subject regards knowledge. You have time and time again said that you [don't know gods don't exist, the universe could be crawling with them] to explain your "lack of belief." belief absolutely deals with knowledge. In fact, to withhold judgement is to say "I don't know." and early on you stated that to withhold judgement is weak atheism.

So, yes. It is relevant.

Since you perceive all individuals and their books to be discrete objects, I do not think that you can judge objectively how another person conceived something. I grant that you can have many opinions.
It is not a perception. I can prove it.

Any society that has grown up without the book of Mormon... or any individual that has never read the Book of Mormon... doesn't know what the book of Mormon says.

If all the religious holy books somehow "reveal themswlves" in people's heads, then everyone would be all faiths.

There is a reason there are pockets of similar believers in the world... because they are exposed to the local religious book, and CHOOSE to follow the local deity.