• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*[I believe] Atheism is an absurd worldview

Gambit

Please demonstrate this.

Atheistic existentialism is quite aware that the atheistic worldview entails nihilism and absurdism.

Nihilism (/ˈnaɪ.ɨlɪzəm/ or /ˈniː.ɨlɪzəm/; from the Latin nihil, nothing) is a philosophical doctrine that suggests the lack of belief in one or more reputedly meaningful aspects of life (source: Wikipedia: Nihilism)

In philosophy, "the Absurd" refers to the conflict between (1) the human tendency to seek inherent value and meaning in life and (2) the human inability to find any. (source: Wikipedia: Absurdism)

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You cannot rationally justify a belief in a purposeful or meaningful world unless you invoke God. As such, your belief is irrational.

I don't believe in a meaningful or purposeful world, insomuch as I don't believe it has an innate meaning or purpose. That doesn't mean I can't find meaning and purpose for myself. I believe the world is filled with beings that make meaning and purpose for themselves. You don't believe their purpose is cosmically significant. And neither do I. I just don't believe yours is either. It's just instruction from men pretending to be gods.

Gambit

Again, atheists are not required to share any position other than the disbelief in God.

You have to rationally defend implications of your disbelief in God as you are attempting to do now. If not, then you concede the debate by virtue of default.

What's more, the fact that people create their own purpose is practically self-demonstrative.

You cannot rationally demonstrate that you create your own purpose without presupposing some higher purpose upon which you are acting.

You have yet to justify this position. How does lacking a belief in a God make any meaning illusory? To use my previous example, I do not believe there is a God, but that doesn't preclude me from assigning meaning to my life any more than it precludes me from assigning purpose to that fork.

On the atheistic worldview, all teleological explanations reduce to blind mechanisms playing themselves out. As such, all teleological explanations must be deemed illusory.

Gambit

Just because you don't find any meaning to life, doesn't mean atheists don't. I sure did. You need to stop thinking that people are like you. Most find meaning just fine, even without sophistry.

Correction. The theist believes that life is ultimately purposeful and meaningful. In fact, the theist believes that each and every one is serving a greater purpose (regardless of whether one is consciously aware of that). The atheist does not.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
This is a debate forum. Is it not?
Yes it is.
When are you going to start debating?

Because the atheist must deem all purposeful behavior (including his or her own) as purely illusory. You may think you find meaning in your life or that you have created a meaning in your life, but without a real purpose, your life is actually meaningless and absurd. On the atheist worldview, you're just a pack of blind mechanisms aimlessly playing themselves out.
See, this above is not debating.
It is nothing more than you boldly stating your beliefs as though they are fact.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This isn't a debate statement. It's more of belittling someone else's morals because they don't reflect yours and other believers. I usually like to learn something from debates not be attacked by the people I speak with.

That said.

1. Because the atheist must deem all purposeful behavior (including his or her own) as purely illusory.

2. You may think you find meaning in your life or that you have created a meaning in your life, but without a real purpose, your life is actually meaningless and absurd.

3. On the atheist worldview, you're just a pack of blind mechanisms aimlessly playing themselves out.

1. Your first comment, what do you mean by that negative statement? Our behaviors we do on purpuse are illusions?

2. Atheists do have real (not illusionary) meaning in life. There does not need to be a god for us to have meaning. I find meaning in my family and in the Buddha's teachings. John may find meaning in his devotion to nature. Jane may find meaning by finding her higher self.

Why do you think people without god have no purpose in life?
What "ethical" god would tell his followers that without him, people are lost?

That is not a god many atheist want to worship. I would respect that.

We do not need to relive the inquisition here.

3. This is not a debate statement; this is an attack. If you believe in god, would he say the same thing? If you believe in Jesus, would you think he would save aimless people and call them names?

Where do you get these moral from?

I'd never want to believe in what you believe if your belief is causing you to belittle others who differ from you.

Jumi

Correction. The theist believes that life is ultimately purposeful and meaningful. In fact, the theist believes that each and every one is serving a greater purpose (regardless of whether one is consciously aware of that). The atheist does not.
If that is so, why are so many theists unhappy or even angry?

Add to this, you don't seem to know there are varieties of theists, some who don't view their Gods even close to the way you do here. Maybe you should just say that you yourself are extremely happy with the way things are. There are still other problems of generalizations that don't match reality at all in your posts in this thread.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
An atheist views gods as non existence. That does not dictate other world views.

As an atheist I find the world beautiful, terrying and fascinating. I am in awe of the universe.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Meaningless isn't a synonym for absurd. I also don't think the world is meaningless. But is a very logical and beautiful thing to behold, worthy of discovery and understanding. I just don't think there is a deity providing meaning.
You mean life is purposeful?
Regards

Shad

Veteran Member
You cannot create your own purpose because that would qualify as a purpose in and of itself...something which your atheism specifically precludes. The bottom line is that there is no purpose in the atheistic view of the world. So, any purpose you believe you might create for yourself must ultimately deemed illusory.

Yes I can as a purpose is just a goal. One could create a goal such as curing cancer or just creating a piece of art. We can meet that goal or fail it. Atheism is only a view to a claim, nothing more.