• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*[I believe] Atheism is an absurd worldview

Gambit

What twaddle talk is this? Atheists find meaning in life all the time. I know I do. Look at Stephen Hawking, for example, he should have died decades ago but he lives on. Why? Because his life has meaning. Purpose. He is driven, and so therefore he goes on.

On the atheistic view, all purpose-driven behavior must be deemed purely illusory.

Gambit

It seems like there's a necessary step in your reasoning that you're jumping over... something like "if a thing isn't universally important, it can't be important to me." I hope you'll recognize that this is unsupported nonsense (or "absurd", to use your new favourite word).

You cannot rationally justify your belief that you create your own purpose because this implies a purpose in of itself (which you did not create).

Gambit

Could you elaborate, please?

The "world" includes all things and therefore contains meaning in many forms. This seems to be so obvious that it's trivial.

Without purpose there is no meaning. And without meaning, there's only absurdity. Such is the spiritually-impoverished worldview that is atheism.

A Vestigial Mote

What does this implies? It implies that human artifacts (e.g. pocket watches) are as much the result of blind mechanisms at play as are natural artifacts (e.g. eyeballs). On the atheistic worldview, there is no intelligent activity in the world whatsoever (human, divine, or otherwise). All appearances of intelligent activity in the world must be attributed to blind mechanisms at play and therefore deemed as purely illusory.

Hard to believe I found you just earlier, in another thread, contemplating why your like-to-postcount ratio was so much lower than someone else's. With statements and opinions like these I would figure the reasons all too obvious.

So, just to clarify, by inference you're saying that your own intelligence is only definable as "intelligence" because of God? Pretend that God didn't exist and you were alone in some imaginary space with a stone. Because God has left this picture, is there no distinction made between yourself having the attribute "intelligence" and the rock not possessing that attribute? When God is popped back into said picture, do you regain the attribute "intelligence"?

Gambit

Do you have evidence of this?
I personally know atheists that think the opposite of this.
I also know an atheist who believes in magic and thinks of it as the central force of the soul and rebirth.

The atheist cannot rationally justify any of these beliefs based on his or her Godless worldview.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
The atheist cannot rationally justify any of these beliefs based on his or her Godless worldview.

A theist cannot rationally justify their beliefs in a world view with god, either.
You can only have faith, knowledge eludes you.
It will continue to elude you because knowledge of an actual God does not exist.
Namely because an actual god does not exist.

We're on an equal playing field in this respect.
So whatever add on beliefs are neither of our businesses.
They're personally independent and cannot be proven true or false (most of the time).

Gambit

I think this thread was created for a purposeful heated debate???

This is a debate forum. Is it not?

We have meaning in our life? Why would disbelief in god equal no meaning for any person who doesn't believe in deitie/s?

Because the atheist must deem all purposeful behavior (including his or her own) as purely illusory. You may think you find meaning in your life or that you have created a meaning in your life, but without a real purpose, your life is actually meaningless and absurd. On the atheist worldview, you're just a pack of blind mechanisms aimlessly playing themselves out.