• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I would have no beef with Islam if...

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Yes, Hindu fascism has been a serious problem in India for years and the Modi government supports it. They make up all sorts of lies about Christians and Muslims to rile up their uneducated impoverished followers. A lot of people have been killed and assaulted over it. They also recriminalized homosexuality a few years ago. I recall an Indian Catholic archbishop speaking out against that.

Supreme Court rules homosexuality is a crime. Archbishop of Mumbai: Gays are not criminals

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Yes, Hindu fascism has been a serious problem in India for years and the Modi government supports it. They make up all sorts of lies about Christians and Muslims to rile up their uneducated impoverished followers. A lot of people have been killed and assaulted over it.
Actually, I have a friend who shares the Gospel in India, and the persecution is quite real and dangerous. There is an anti-faith except for Hinduism that is permeating because of the current government.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Yes, Hindu fascism has been a serious problem in India for years and the Modi government supports it. They make up all sorts of lies about Christians and Muslims to rile up their uneducated impoverished followers. A lot of people have been killed and assaulted over it. They also recriminalized homosexuality a few years ago. I recall an Indian Catholic archbishop speaking out against that.

Supreme Court rules homosexuality is a crime. Archbishop of Mumbai: Gays are not criminals
Actually, I have a friend who shares the Gospel in India, and the persecution is quite real and dangerous. There is an anti-faith except for Hinduism that is permeating because of the current government.

That's disappointing to hear about honestly!

I have a deep admiration for Hindu Spirituality, the wisdom of Hindu Gurus, Yoga, Hindu asceticism, and Ghandi is one of my top five favorite Religious figures.
The ultimate aim of Indian spirituality is to gain the Supreme Knowledge and become one with the Supreme Being. Several spiritual paths have been prescribed to achieve this transformation. Love, nonviolence, good conduct and the law of dharma define the Hindu path. Hinduism explains that the soul has many lives until all Karmas are resolved and God realization is attained.
I thought that was what Hinduism was about, and in some ways found it more beautiful than what many Christians are preaching.

At the Heart of Hinduism is the monotheistic principle of Brahman. The entire universe is basically a representation of the Supreme Soul, and He is present in each and every thing, human and animal, animate and non-animate.

Brahma , the Creator , who is continuing to create new realities
Vishnu , the Preserver , who preserves these new creations.
Shiva , the Destroyer , who is its ultimate destroyer.

The Hindu gods are very much alive and live in temples, snow capped peaks, in rivers and oceans and above all in the very hearts and minds of the Hindus.

I admire the Sadus. I find them to be living a quite interesting rule of life.
tumblr_l8t1fmp4yd1qcvw76o1_1280.jpg
sadhu48.jpg

A sadhu (IAST: sādhu (male), sādhvī (female)), also spelled saddhu, is a religious ascetic, mendicant (monk) or any holy person in Hinduism and Jainism who has renounced the worldly life.[1][2][3] They are sometimes alternatively referred to as jogi,sannyasi or vairagi.[1]

It literally means one who practises a ″sadhana″ or keenly follows a path of spiritual discipline.[4] Although the vast majority of sādhus are yogīs, not all yogīs are sādhus. The sādhu is solely dedicated to achieving mokṣa (liberation), the fourth and final aśrama (stage of life), through meditation and contemplation of Brahman. Sādhus often wear simple clothing, such saffron-coloured clothing in Hinduism, white or nothing in Jainism, symbolising their sannyāsa (renunciation of worldly possessions). A female mendicant in Hinduism and Jainism is often called a sadhvi, or in some texts as aryika
Sadhu - Wikipedia
upload_2018-5-11_12-40-6.png

It's disappointing to hear that maybe these peaceful folks who renounced the world to pray, fast, and meditate, may indeed sometimes be fascist, bigoted, violent, and not so peaceful afterall? :(

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
That's disappointing to hear about honestly!

I have a deep admiration for Hindu Spirituality, the wisdom of Hindu Gurus, Yoga, Hindu asceticism, and Ghandi is one of my top five favorite Religious figures.
The ultimate aim of Indian spirituality is to gain the Supreme Knowledge and become one with the Supreme Being. Several spiritual paths have been prescribed to achieve this transformation. Love, nonviolence, good conduct and the law of dharma define the Hindu path. Hinduism explains that the soul has many lives until all Karmas are resolved and God realization is attained.
I thought that was what Hinduism was about, and in some ways found it more beautiful than what many Christians are preaching.

At the Heart of Hinduism is the monotheistic principle of Brahman. The entire universe is basically a representation of the Supreme Soul, and He is present in each and every thing, human and animal, animate and non-animate.

Brahma , the Creator , who is continuing to create new realities
Vishnu , the Preserver , who preserves these new creations.
Shiva , the Destroyer , who is its ultimate destroyer.

The Hindu gods are very much alive and live in temples, snow capped peaks, in rivers and oceans and above all in the very hearts and minds of the Hindus.

I admire the Sadus. I find them to be living a quite interesting rule of life.
tumblr_l8t1fmp4yd1qcvw76o1_1280.jpg
sadhu48.jpg

A sadhu (IAST: sādhu (male), sādhvī (female)), also spelled saddhu, is a religious ascetic, mendicant (monk) or any holy person in Hinduism and Jainism who has renounced the worldly life.[1][2][3] They are sometimes alternatively referred to as jogi,sannyasi or vairagi.[1]

It literally means one who practises a ″sadhana″ or keenly follows a path of spiritual discipline.[4] Although the vast majority of sādhus are yogīs, not all yogīs are sādhus. The sādhu is solely dedicated to achieving mokṣa (liberation), the fourth and final aśrama (stage of life), through meditation and contemplation of Brahman. Sādhus often wear simple clothing, such saffron-coloured clothing in Hinduism, white or nothing in Jainism, symbolising their sannyāsa (renunciation of worldly possessions). A female mendicant in Hinduism and Jainism is often called a sadhvi, or in some texts as aryika
Sadhu - Wikipedia
View attachment 21549

It's disappointing to hear that maybe these peaceful folks who renounced the world to pray, fast, and meditate, may indeed sometimes be fascist, bigoted, violent, and not so peaceful afterall? :(
There's violent lunatics and fanatics in all religions. There's fanatical Buddhists in Myanmar committing genocide against the Muslim minority.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Absolutely... two wrongs always make a right.

OHHH... wait a minute, Christianity was spread into India before they were "conquered". The Indian king had the Apostle Thomas lanced with many lances. Was he conquering Inida? Or just sharing his faith.

My point is simply all faiths have a history.

And historically, Christianity started with the basis of love. How about Hinduism?

As a Christian, I don't condone that type of violence either. :)

Is there a filter on some people's screens that they are seeing only what they want to see? Go back and read my post. :rolleyes:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I do think that most of us realize that there are hostile fanatics in all religions that excuse their fanaticism by cherry-picking their scriptures.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Why the facepalm? My comments are not mutually exclusive. If you read them you'd see there's avery big implicit "but I can understand why". I may not like something but I can understand it.
Because you're excusing it. If violence is wrong, be clear about it. No "buts". It's like saying "I'm not racist but...*goes on to say a bunch of racist stuff*". You're saying it's understandable that they would attack Christians and Muslims for things that happened centuries ago and had nothing to do with them. Is it understandable for a black person to kill a random white person for slavery and Jim Crow? Maybe a Jew killing a German? A Chinese or Korean killing a Japanese?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
that happened centuries ago and had nothing to do with them

That's so wrong it's not even wrong. It's wronger than wrong can get. There's no right word for how wrong that it... it's happening today.

Though it's funny how the rioters in Ferguson were justified in their rioting, isn't it? They felt pushed to it whether they were or weren't. They felt pushed to it.

People... get... to... a... point... of... frustration... where.. they... explode.

I didn't say it's right.. so let me repeat what you missed, perhaps unintentionally or not, and I'll make it big and bold: I ... CAN ... UN ... DER ... STAND ... IT. It doesn't mean I like it or condone it but I ... CAN ... UN ... DER ... STAND ... IT.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
That's so wrong it's not even wrong. It's wronger than wrong can get. There's no right word for how wrong that it... it's happening today.

Though it's funny how the rioters in Ferguson were justified in their rioting, isn't it? They felt pushed to it whether they were or weren't. They felt pushed to it.

People... get... to... a... point... of... frustration... where.. they... explode.

I didn't say it's right.. so let me repeat what you missed, perhaps unintentionally or not, and I'll make it big and bold: I ... CAN ... UN ... DER ... STAND ... IT. It doesn't mean I like it or condone it but I ... CAN ... UN ... DER ... STAND ... IT.
I never justified the rioting in Ferguson and don't support BLM. In fact, I was quite angry over the behavior of the protesters.

You wouldn't be having to explain yourself if you had just denounced the violence and left it at that. "I don't support violence against cops but...I can see why someone would kill a random cop on the street." Maybe the Muslims, Christians and LGBT people will get to the point where they are sick of their treatment at the hands of Hindus and will "explode". I would love to see if you will be so understanding then. I will not hold my breath.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
You wouldn't be having to explain yourself if you had just denounced the violence and left it at that.

Newsflash: I can express an opinion whether someone likes that opinion or not. Moreover, I'm not explaining myself, I am an under no obligation to do so. If someone doesn't (want to) understand it, that's not my problem. I think I was pretty clear when I said "I don't condone violence but I can understand it". There is no contradiction there. I don't like veganism but I understand why people do it.

Maybe the Muslims, Christians and LGBT people will get to the point where they are sick of their treatment at the hands of Hindus and will "explode". I would love to see if you will be so understanding then. I will not hold my breath.

giphy.gif

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Hindus converted to Christianity by bribery and subterfuge.

Apostle Thomas was murdered just because he was preaching Jesus.

Read up on what's happening in India today with missionaries.

Btw, I never brought up Thomas, you did.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
In our 21st century, I don't see any predominantly Christian nations instituting laws that execute people for homosexual acts.

Correct me if I'm wrong... please, regards
Yep, lets condemn Islam out of hand for being 50 years behind us. Gosh we're superior!

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Read up on what's happening in India today with missionaries.

Btw, I never brought up Thomas, you did.
Is this the Fake News version? Since I have a personal friend with the mother church in Madras, we have first hand accounts on how, as they hand out flyers, they suffer harm because of it. One church destroyed because it was Christian.

What do they do?

They preach the gospel with signs and wonders. Period.

As far as Thomas, it was you that said that the problems was because they "conquered". What conquering did Thomas do? Perhaps souls is about it. It does mess with the caste system as the message is that you can be born again.