• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If an Athiest was forced to choose a religion, What would it be?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Cantona, after the great visionary and footballer, Eric Cantona

A few quotes from the first book of Cantoniesta

"I am not a man, I am Cantona"

"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan."

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. "

I rest my case

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, I think no opinions are insulting. It's an expression of the world.

Would you be willing to concede that's an unusual position? Most people can be insulted by opinion.
In this case, the opinion appears to suggest that the poster knows my heart/mind better than I do. I find that insulting. I'm not going to lose sleep over it or anything, but it's an arrogant position to take, in my opinion.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yes, I think no opinions are insulting. It's an expression of the world.

Such a statement certainly surprises me. Maybe you hold the responsibility of teaching people in unusually high regard. Maybe you have an unusual amount of respect for the necessity of speaking one's mind in order not to be stuck in one's current understanding.

All the same, it seems to me that even the genuine and unavoidable expression legitimate needs can indeed be insulting.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Would you be willing to concede that's an unusual position? Most people can be insulted by opinion.
In this case, the opinion appears to suggest that the poster knows my heart/mind better than I do. I find that insulting. I'm not going to lose sleep over it or anything, but it's an arrogant position to take, in my opinion.
Fair enough. To me it shows his heart.

Draka

Wonder Woman
On two fronts here:
On the subject of an atheist, or anyone for that matter, being "forced" to choose one of those particular religions...the circumstances behind the choosing have not been set. There is no "why" or "or else" mentioned. Also, if we're just talking "lip service" to get someone off one's back, anyone can say anything to get someone to leave them alone. If I have someone that keeps coming to my door, harassing me, or even threatening me, trying to "save" me I can tell them I'm a Christian, even though I'm not, and *poof* their quota of saved lives fulfilled, my name checked off their list. They're off my back and I don't really change a lick of what I really believe.

You can't just up and change someone's belief. That is something they must come to on their own. This is something that has always bothered me about the whole "converting" to get married or whatnot. If you aren't doing it because it is what YOU want, what YOU believe, then it isn't real and anyone pressuring you into that is an *** and should know that.

Separate subject:
On the topic of an opinion being insulting, I believe it most certainly can. I'm sorry, but if I were to walk right up to someone and say "In my opinion you are a fat, nasty, ignorant, stupid, pathetic excuse for a human being", just because I put "in my opinion" in front of that, just because it might be my opinion, doesn't make it any less insulting a thing for me to say nor for the person to hear.

NulliuSINverba

If you are an Athiest and you were forced to choose a Monothiestic religion i.e Christianity, Judiasm, Islam.
Which of these three would you chose and why.

Do you mean .. "Which of these three would you pretend to believe in?"

Any would do. All three are equally silly. However, if a choice must be made ...

I suppose that despite its inherent tendency to schism and fragmentation, Christianity is the most hassle-free. Who needs all the silly dietary restrictions that the other two faiths appear to relish?

jesus-frying-pan_1_1595669c.jpg

"CHRISTIANITY: WE'VE GOT THE BACON!"

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
That opinion was in response to my comment. Could it be insulting? Sure, but I'm going with not insulting, to me.

Yep, I know it was in response to you, mate. But he didn't say he thought YOU secretly believed in a Supreme Power. He said EVERYONE did. I'm part of everyone, therefore he's making a claim about my belief that's unfounded and untrue.

It's no biggie, I'm really not sure what issue anyone would have with my fairly mild response to it, to be honest.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you are an Athiest and you were forced to choose a Monothiestic religion i.e Christianity, Judiasm, Islam.
You do realize this question is like asking someone if you were forced to be raped, which assailant would you choose? You did use the word FORCED. That makes it no choice at all, but a question of preference to which violation of your freedom you would choose. I could never answer such a question.

gnostic

The Lost One
Anyone who try to force me to join their religion, I would tell them to "Bl@@dy sod off!"

Tell me, are you really interested in forcing people to join your religion? Is this what you want to happen?

No religion is worth joining, if one must use force upon other people.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls

Quaker would be good because you don't have to believe in God. Or maybe Church of England as they are very laid back and don't mind if you don't turn up for church services. :p

gnostic

The Lost One
So am going to ask you again. Will you die instead of embracing a religion if you were forced to?
Being forced into religion, is not embracing a religion.

What this is, is called oppression or persecution.

And Christianity have a long history of both oppression and persecution.

You are sick person if you think embracing a religion is the same as forcing others to convert to your religion.

Jumi

Out of these three I would choose Judaism. Why do you ask?

tomteapack

tomteapack
[QUI TE="pro4life, post: 4004994, member: 55624"]If you are an Athiest and you were forced to choose a Monothiestic religion i.e Christianity, Judiasm, Islam.
Which of these three would you chose and why.[/QUOTE]
If i were being forced to become a member of a religion, then I would take the religion of the ones doing the forcing! I would remain an atheist, but pay lip service to that religion until I found a way to escape from those taking my freedom.