• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God existed, would there be any atheists?

Tiberius

It is no different with Baha’u’llah and the Baha’i Faith. I may love Baha’u’llah and the Baha’i Faith whereas other people might hate Baha’u’llah and the Baha’i Faith. I freely admit that my love for Baha’u’llah and the Baha’i Faith is a subjective thing. However, my belief in Baha’u’llah is not a subjective thing; it is objective, since it is based upon the evidence that indicates that He was a Messenger of God.

Humans have free will, which is the will/ability to make choices based upon their desires and preferences, and this is subjective. Our desires and preferences come from a combination of factors such as childhood upbringing, heredity, education, adult experiences, and present life circumstances. These desires and preferences will always determine what we choose.

I think we have free will to accept Baha’u’llah, but that does not that everyone will be “able” to accept Baha’u’llah because if what He taught and stood for is not something that appeals to them subjectively, or if they have another religion they are emotionally attached to, no amount of objective evidence will ever convince them that Baha’u’llah was who He claimed to be, a Messenger of God.

Believers in the older religions who already believe that God reveals Himself through men, what I call Messengers, have reasons for not accepting Baha’u’llah and the Baha’i Faith and all of these are subjective reasons. They are not based upon the objective facts about Baha’u’llah, for if they were based upon objective facts, those believers would accept Baha’u’llah as a Messenger of God, since that is what the objective evidence indicates. (Incidentally, I have an advanced degree in psychology so I have some knowledge as to how the human mind works.)

Ah, but we aren't talking about that. We are talking about your claim that you have verified your beliefs as objectively true. It cannot be the case that your beliefs are objectively true for you but untrue for me.

You are absolutely correct. This is what I have been saying to atheists for the last six years and you are the first atheist who has understood this. Logically speaking, God either exists or not, and that is an objective reality, it is not a matter of belief or opinion.

Whether or not you hold the beliefs is objective, yes. But your claim that the beliefs are correct is subjective.

You are right about that, but there is no way to eliminate personal bias; it will always exist, for reasons noted above, because we all have our desires and preferences. All we can so is gather as much information as we can and make an informed decision, hopefully applying logic and reason rather than acting on emotion. For example, if I acted on emotion I might become a Christian because Christianity appeals to me emotionally, but Christianity is not in accord with reason and logic so I cannot believe it. Half the battle is self-awareness; if we know how we feel and know that our emotions could lead us astray, we can combat our emotions with reason and logic.

But I did point out a way in which personal bias can be eliminated. Get others to check your work. If religious beliefs are incapable of this, then it would seem they are designed to be forever unverifiable, and thus eternally subjective.

You have a personal opinion, I have a religious belief. Your opinion is based upon an absence of information about God, but my belief is based upon a Revelation from God to Baha’u’llah, and logically speaking if God communicated to Baha’u’llah, then everything He wrote is the Truth from God. Obviously it is no small thing if Baha’u’llah was a Messenger of God and it is not something anyone should accept without doing much research and investigation.

I would say that your belief is just an opinion too.

I could just as easily claim that God proved to me that he does not exist in such a way as to be indisputable and claim that revelation elevates my claim from opinion to belief.

I figured this out as soon as I started to think about it as the result of posting to people on forums about Baha’u’llah. As I have been saying on various forums for the last seven years, the only thing that has to be determined is whether Baha’u’llah was (a) a true Messenger of God, or (b) a false prophet (which would have to mean he was either a con-man or delusional.) Those are the only two logical possibilities. Some people have suggested a third possibility, that Baha’u’llah was just a good man with good ideas, but that is not a logical possibility, because a good man would not lie about something as important as being a Messenger of God. Do you understand what I mean?

Sounds like the Lord, Liar or Lunatic thing Lewis Carroll spoke of. It's a false trichotomy, I think.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Ah, but we aren't talking about that. We are talking about your claim that you have verified your beliefs as objectively true. It cannot be the case that your beliefs are objectively true for you but untrue for me.
I never said that I have verified my beliefs as objectively true.
Whether or not you hold the beliefs is objective, yes. But your claim that the beliefs are correct is subjective.
That is true. It is just according to my subjective determination that my beliefs are true.
But I did point out a way in which personal bias can be eliminated. Get others to check your work. If religious beliefs are incapable of this, then it would seem they are designed to be forever unverifiable, and thus eternally subjective.
No, that won’t work because there is no reason to believe others’ subjective opinions are any more accurate than mine. Everyone has their own personal bias so why would their opinion of the evidence be any better than my opinion? 1 personal bias + 9 personal biases = 10 personal biases. It does not get us any closer to the what is actually true.
I would say that your belief is just an opinion too.
I could just as easily claim that God proved to me that he does not exist in such a way as to be indisputable and claim that revelation elevates my claim from opinion to belief.
I have an opinion about my belief, but I have evidence that supports my belief in God whereas atheists have no evidence, just an absence of information about God.

You can claim anything you want to, but a claim without evidence to support it is a bald assertion.
Sounds like the Lord, Liar or Lunatic thing Lewis Carroll spoke of. It's a false trichotomy, I think.
Why is it a false trichotomy?

Tiberius

I never said that I have verified my beliefs as objectively true.

When you said, "I have verified Baha'u'llah as real and I believe He was a Messenger of God," it sure seemed like it. How can you verify something that is NOT objectively true?

That is true. It is just according to my subjective determination that my beliefs are true.

Glad we agree. :)

No, that won’t work because there is no reason to believe others’ subjective opinions are any more accurate than mine. Everyone has their own personal bias so why would their opinion of the evidence be any better than my opinion? 1 personal bias + 9 personal biases = 10 personal biases. It does not get us any closer to the what is actually true.

it does work, because it is unlikely that other people will have the same biases as you. If you get me to check your work and I agree with you, then it supports the claim that your work is accurate, because it isn't likely that my biases would lead to the same exact error that your biases would lead you to. And the more people we get to check, the more accurate we can consider the results.

I have an opinion about my belief, but I have evidence that supports my belief in God whereas atheists have no evidence, just an absence of information about God.

I'd say it's more accurate to say that we have no OBJECTIVE evidence. I'd be happy to believe in God if objective evidence that could withstand scrutiny was provided.

You can claim anything you want to, but a claim without evidence to support it is a bald assertion.

Then the same applies to your beliefs because you don't have objective evidence either. ;)

Why is it a false trichotomy?

Because lord, liar or lunatic aren't the only options.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
When you said, "I have verified Baha'u'llah as real and I believe He was a Messenger of God," it sure seemed like it. How can you verify something that is NOT objectively true?
I said: “I know because I have verified Baha'u'llah as real and I believe He was a Messenger of God.”

There are two thoughts in that sentence.

1. I have verified Baha’u’llah as real – That means that I know he existed and was a real person.
2. I believe He was a Messenger of God -- That means that I have looked at all of the evidence that indicates that He was a Messenger of God and from that evidence I determined that He was a Messenger of God.

So I have verified in my mind that Baha’u’llah was a Messenger of God, but that does not mean I can prove it to anyone else. Everyone has to verify that for themselves. And that is what we Baha’is refer to as the Independent Investigation of Truth.

How to Independently Investigate the Truth
it does work, because it is unlikely that other people will have the same biases as you. If you get me to check your work and I agree with you, then it supports the claim that your work is accurate, because it isn't likely that my biases would lead to the same exact error that your biases would lead you to. And the more people we get to check, the more accurate we can consider the results.
This is not like a homework assignment in college where there is a right answer and a wrong answer, but rather everyone has to come to their own conclusions about the evidence for Baha’u’llah and whether He was a Messenger of God or not. Baha’u’llah wrote: “For the faith of no man can be conditioned by any one except himself.” Gleanings, p. 143

What that means is that the belief of nobody should be determined by anyone else except oneself. I that sense it is not even desirable for us to be influenced by other people’s opinions about Baha’u’llah.

I do not know how I am going to get my point across so I will have to bring out the big guns, what Baha’u’llah wrote in The Kitáb-i-Íqán (The Book of Certitude) on the very first pages, because it is so vitally important. The following is part of the last sentence of a longer paragraph, the part I want to point out and explain.

“…… inasmuch as man can never hope to attain unto the knowledge of the All-Glorious, can never quaff from the stream of divine knowledge and wisdom, can never enter the abode of immortality, nor partake of the cup of divine nearness and favour, unless and until he ceases to regard the words and deeds of mortal men as a standard for the true understanding and recognition of God and His Prophets.” The Kitáb-i-Íqán, pp. 3-4

What it essentially says is that we will never discover the truth for ourselves if we use the words and deeds of other people as a standard by which to understand God and His Prophets. In other words, we cannot determine whether Baha’u’llah was a Messenger of God according to what other people say, think or do.

What then do we do? We investigate the truth for ourselves.
I'd say it's more accurate to say that we have no OBJECTIVE evidence. I'd be happy to believe in God if objective evidence that could withstand scrutiny was provided.
How do you expect to obtain objective evidence of a God that is not a material entity? Logically speaking, any objective evidence we can procure has to be the objective evidence that indicates that the Baha’u’llah was a Messenger of God, since Baha’u’llah is who God sent to be His Representative on earth in the present age. Baha’is normally refer to the Messengers of God as “Manifestations of God” because they manifest God on earth.

“The Person of the Manifestation hath ever been the representative and mouthpiece of God. He, in truth, is the Day Spring of God’s most excellent Titles, and the Dawning-Place of His exalted Attributes.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 70
Then the same applies to your beliefs because you don't have objective evidence either.
As I said above, there is objective evidence that indicates that Baha’u’llah was a Messenger of God. There is no verifiable proof that He received communication from God that will be proof to everyone, but we can prove that to ourselves by looking at the evidence for Baha’u’llah.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Baha’u’llah was (a) a true Messenger of God, or (b) a false prophet (which would have to mean he was either a con-man or delusional.) Those are the only two logical possibilities. Some people have suggested a third possibility, that Baha’u’llah was just a good man with good ideas, but that is not a logical possibility, because a good man would not lie about something as important as being a Messenger of God.
There are many spiritual and religious con-men. Again, who do Baha'is say Joseph Smith was? Did an angel really speak to him? If so, then is what the Mormon Church teach the truth? If not, was he a con-man? Yet the Church is huge, probably with more members than the Baha'i Faith. Why? Why would so many people question the Baha'i Faith? It is because they don't believe all of the teachings. Maybe some, but not all.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
The Bible is full of God showing himself through great miracles. God spoke from heaven. Sent manna from heaven. Gideon and the fleece. And, of course, Jesus... who performed all kinds of miracles.

Introduction

Although Bahá'ís universally share a great respect for the Bible, and acknowledge its status as sacred literature, their individual views about its authoritative status range along the full spectrum of possibilities. At one end there are those who assume the uncritical evangelical or fundamentalist-Christian view that the Bible is wholly and indisputably the word of God. At the other end are Bahá'ís attracted to the liberal, scholarly conclusion that the Bible is no more than a product of complex historical and human forces. Between these extremes is the possibility that the Bible contains the Word of God, but only in a particular sense of the phrase 'Word of God' or in particular texts. I hope to show that a Bahá'í view must lie in this middle area, and can be defined to some degree.

Conclusion

The Bahá'í viewpoint proposed by this essay has been established as follows: The Bible is a reliable source of Divine guidance and salvation, and rightly regarded as a sacred and holy book. However, as a collection of the writings of independent and human authors, it is not necessarily historically accurate. Nor can the words of its writers, although inspired, be strictly defined as 'The Word of God' in the way the original words of Moses and Jesus could have been. Instead there is an area of continuing interest for Bahá'í scholars, possibly involving the creation of new categories for defining authoritative religious literature.

A Baháí View of the Bible
God created Adam and Eve... walked in the garden with them... cursed the ground... sent a world-wide flood... stopped the Sun in the sky for a whole day and on and on. Who, other than literal believing religious people think those things really happened? If they didn't happen why believe that this God talked about in those stories is real? Like just because Zeus is talked about in a story, we don't believe he is real. That's the thing. Ancient people told mythological stories. Baha'is don't even believe some of the Bible stories as being real. So who were the wiser, more sensible people? The ones that believed all these stories about the different Gods? Or, the ones that questioned them and ultimately rejected them?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
There are many spiritual and religious con-men. Again, who do Baha'is say Joseph Smith was? Did an angel really speak to him? If so, then is what the Mormon Church teach the truth? If not, was he a con-man? Yet the Church is huge, probably with more members than the Baha'i Faith. Why?
Baha'is do not believe that Joseph Smith was a con-man or a Prophet, but rather he was a seer because he could see into the future.

(97) JOSEPH SMITH—Statements in Book of Mormon
As there is nothing specific about Joseph Smith in the teachings, the Guardian has no statement to make on his position or about the accuracy of any statement in the Book of Mormon regarding American history or its peoples. This is a matter for historians to pass upon.
High Endeavours: Messages to Alaska

“Joseph Smith we do not consider a Prophet, minor or otherwise. Certainly no reference he made could have foretold the Coming of this Revelation in his capacity as a Prophet.” (Letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual, 21 Feb. 1942)

There is a very simple reason why the Mormon Faith has about twice as many members as the Baha'i Faith. It is essentially a Christian religion, with the addition of the writings of Joseph Smith, kind of a new age Christian sect. So obviously since there are 2.3 billion Christians in the world there is a much larger population from which to draw new members. By contrast, the Baha'i Faith only appeals to a small subset of people who are looking for a new religion, and since 84% of people in the world already have a religion, and 7% of people in the world are atheists that does not leave a very large number of people from which to draw new members. In a sense we are fighting a losing battle against the established religions like Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism, which are the three largest religions.
Why would so many people question the Baha'i Faith? It is because they don't believe all of the teachings. Maybe some, but not all.
Simply put, most people question the Baha'i Faith because 84 percent of the world population has a faith.
So, since most people they already have a religion they adhere to and the Baha'i Faith claims to have a new Messenger of God that puts us in competition with all the other religions. No only that, but we also claim that the Baha'i Faith supersedes their religions. Then to top it all off, we claim that Baha'u'llah was the return of Christ and the Messiah.... and you wonder why the Baha'i Faith is not very popular? o_O

The upshot is that the only people who are going to become Baha'is are people who have no religion and are looking for a religion, or people who care about peace, the unity of mankind, social and economic justice, the elimination of prejudice, and other teachings of the Baha'i Faith that are progressive.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
God created Adam and Eve... walked in the garden with them... cursed the ground... sent a world-wide flood... stopped the Sun in the sky for a whole day and on and on. Who, other than literal believing religious people think those things really happened? If they didn't happen why believe that this God talked about in those stories is real?
If one can dissociate from the anthropomorphic God in the stories they can believe in the Real God.
Like just because Zeus is talked about in a story, we don't believe he is real. That's the thing. Ancient people told mythological stories. Baha'is don't even believe some of the Bible stories as being real. So who were the wiser, more sensible people? The ones that believed all these stories about the different Gods? Or, the ones that questioned them and ultimately rejected them?
I would say that the people who questioned the stories were smarter.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
and you wonder why the Baha'i Faith is not very popular?
No, I don't wonder about it at all. It takes a lot to put aside what a person has been taught about Truth, God and religion. But even for those who jump right in, then there is the everyday workings of the Baha'i community. If a person is in a small Baha'i community, a person can have a tough time dealing with some of the personalities. My Baha'i friends were very outgoing and liberal. Some Baha'is were very strict and conservative... and usually got voted on to the LSA. I trust things are getting better.

If one can dissociate from the anthropomorphic God in the stories they can believe in the Real God.
But, as you know, many Christians are taught that those stories about God are real... then to top it off, that old resurrection problem... They are taught Jesus came alive again and floated off to space.

I would say that the people who questioned the stories were smarter.
And that God and that Jesus, who then is proclaimed to be part of God, is one of the main reasons God and religion get dumped into the same waste basket. And, unfortunately for Baha'is, they get tossed also. But what can you expect? Baha'is still have an unknowable invisible God. And the only thing you have to prove he is real is a man who claims to have spoken to him says so. And there we go again, is Baha'u'llah's stories believable?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But even for those who jump right in, then there is the everyday workings of the Baha'i community. If a person is in a small Baha'i community, a person can have a tough time dealing with some of the personalities. My Baha'i friends were very outgoing and liberal. Some Baha'is were very strict and conservative... and usually got voted on to the LSA. I trust things are getting better.
I would not know firsthand if things are better now since I am out of the loop, but from what I have heard from other Baha'is they are better.
But, as you know, many Christians are taught that those stories about God are real... then to top it off, that old resurrection problem... They are taught Jesus came alive again and floated off to space.

And that God and that Jesus, who then is proclaimed to be part of God, is one of the main reasons God and religion get dumped into the same waste basket. And, unfortunately for Baha'is, they get tossed also.
I have to agree with that. Many people, especially nonbelievers, employ the fallacy of hasty generalization and lump all religions together, and since many/most atheists in the Western world were formerly Christians, they have confirmation bias when it comes to religion.
But what can you expect? Baha'is still have an unknowable invisible God. And the only thing you have to prove he is real is a man who claims to have spoken to him says so. And there we go again, is Baha'u'llah's stories believable?
There we go again, but at least Baha'u'llah does not have fictional stories, like the Bible. He has real things that He did, places He went, Scriptures He wrote, kings and rulers and religious leaders He delivered Tablets to, etc.
That makes Baha'u'llah a whole lot more credible than any other Messengers of God, Imo.

Tiberius

I said: “I know because I have verified Baha'u'llah as real and I believe He was a Messenger of God.”

There are two thoughts in that sentence.

1. I have verified Baha’u’llah as real – That means that I know he existed and was a real person.
2. I believe He was a Messenger of God -- That means that I have looked at all of the evidence that indicates that He was a Messenger of God and from that evidence I determined that He was a Messenger of God.

So I have verified in my mind that Baha’u’llah was a Messenger of God, but that does not mean I can prove it to anyone else. Everyone has to verify that for themselves. And that is what we Baha’is refer to as the Independent Investigation of Truth.

How to Independently Investigate the Truth

How can you verify anything without using evidence from the real world?

This is not like a homework assignment in college where there is a right answer and a wrong answer, but rather everyone has to come to their own conclusions about the evidence for Baha’u’llah and whether He was a Messenger of God or not. Baha’u’llah wrote: “For the faith of no man can be conditioned by any one except himself.” Gleanings, p. 143

What that means is that the belief of nobody should be determined by anyone else except oneself. I that sense it is not even desirable for us to be influenced by other people’s opinions about Baha’u’llah.

I do not know how I am going to get my point across so I will have to bring out the big guns, what Baha’u’llah wrote in The Kitáb-i-Íqán (The Book of Certitude) on the very first pages, because it is so vitally important. The following is part of the last sentence of a longer paragraph, the part I want to point out and explain.

“…… inasmuch as man can never hope to attain unto the knowledge of the All-Glorious, can never quaff from the stream of divine knowledge and wisdom, can never enter the abode of immortality, nor partake of the cup of divine nearness and favour, unless and until he ceases to regard the words and deeds of mortal men as a standard for the true understanding and recognition of God and His Prophets.” The Kitáb-i-Íqán, pp. 3-4

What it essentially says is that we will never discover the truth for ourselves if we use the words and deeds of other people as a standard by which to understand God and His Prophets. In other words, we cannot determine whether Baha’u’llah was a Messenger of God according to what other people say, think or do.

What then do we do? We investigate the truth for ourselves.

I know it's not. This method of getting others to check your work is an important part of science. It's called peer review.

How do you expect to obtain objective evidence of a God that is not a material entity? Logically speaking, any objective evidence we can procure has to be the objective evidence that indicates that the Baha’u’llah was a Messenger of God, since Baha’u’llah is who God sent to be His Representative on earth in the present age. Baha’is normally refer to the Messengers of God as “Manifestations of God” because they manifest God on earth.

“The Person of the Manifestation hath ever been the representative and mouthpiece of God. He, in truth, is the Day Spring of God’s most excellent Titles, and the Dawning-Place of His exalted Attributes.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 70

That sounds like you are begging the quiestion, in other words, assuming as a premise the very conclusion you wish to prove.

You said, "any objective evidence we can procure has to be the objective evidence that indicates that the Baha’u’llah was a Messenger of God," meaning if it does not indicate that Baha’u’llah was a Messenger of God, we can ignore it. Cherry picking is a fallacy.

As I said above, there is objective evidence that indicates that Baha’u’llah was a Messenger of God. There is no verifiable proof that He received communication from God that will be proof to everyone, but we can prove that to ourselves by looking at the evidence for Baha’u’llah.

It's not objective if it is just a conclusion a person has reached without any checkable proof.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
How can you verify anything without using evidence from the real world?
There was plenty of evidence in the real world when back when Baha’u’llah lived and now there is evidence he left behind, namely His Writings.
I know it's not. This method of getting others to check your work is an important part of science. It's called peer review.
Religion is wholly different from science so peer review is the last thing one wants.
Again, Baha’u’llah wrote: “For the faith of no man can be conditioned by any one except himself.” Gleanings, p. 143
What that means is that the belief of nobody should be determined by anyone else except oneself. I that sense it is not desirable for us to be influenced by other people’s opinions about Baha’u’llah.
That sounds like you are begging the question, in other words, assuming as a premise the very conclusion you wish to prove.
I did not assume anything. I looked at the evidence and then I drew my conclusions from the evidence.
You said, "any objective evidence we can procure has to be the objective evidence that indicates that the Baha’u’llah was a Messenger of God," meaning if it does not indicate that Baha’u’llah was a Messenger of God, we can ignore it. Cherry picking is a fallacy.
There is no cherry picking. There is no objective evidence for God, so we have to look at the objective evidence for Baha’u’llah in its entirety. We can ignore any evidence that does not indicate that Baha’u’llah was a Messenger of God.
It's not objective if it is just a conclusion a person has reached without any checkable proof.
All the objective evidence is checkable.

Tiberius

There was plenty of evidence in the real world when back when Baha’u’llah lived and now there is evidence he left behind, namely His Writings.

What evidence was there that he was talking to God?

Religion is wholly different from science so peer review is the last thing one wants.

Then what's to say I can't claim that my religion is one that says yours is wrong? Mine is just as valid as yours, so we can't both be right. Do you see where we get into problems? If religion tries to make some statement about reality, it CAN'T just be a matter of making claims. We need to be able to verify the claims, and peer review is the best tool for that.

I suspect that religious folk claim that peer review shouldn't be applied to religious belief simply because every time it is, it undermines that belief, and the religious folk don't like that.

Again, Baha’u’llah wrote: “For the faith of no man can be conditioned by any one except himself.” Gleanings, p. 143
What that means is that the belief of nobody should be determined by anyone else except oneself. I that sense it is not desirable for us to be influenced by other people’s opinions about Baha’u’llah.

As I said, that doesn't work for anytrhing that is making any kind of statement about reality.

I did not assume anything. I looked at the evidence and then I drew my conclusions from the evidence.

As I said, your argument essentially boiled down to, "Any legitimate evidence must state that our position is correct." That is a logical fallacy.

There is no cherry picking. There is no objective evidence for God, so we have to look at the objective evidence for Baha’u’llah in its entirety. We can ignore any evidence that does not indicate that Baha’u’llah was a Messenger of God.

Why? When you decide that any evidence that suggests Baha'u'llah was not a messenger of God, that is the very definition of cherry picking. You are picking and choosing what evidence you accept and what evidence you reject based on whether it agrees with your preconceived notions or not.

All the objective evidence is checkable.

But didn't you just say that the process of checking - peer review - is the last thing you want when it comes to religion?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What evidence was there that he was talking to God?
There is no proof of that and that is why we have to look at the other evidence that indicates that He was telling the truth about hearing from God.

Anyone can talk to God, in prayer, but only Messengers of God hear God speak through the Holy Spirit.
Then what's to say I can't claim that my religion is one that says yours is wrong? Mine is just as valid as yours, so we can't both be right. Do you see where we get into problems? If religion tries to make some statement about reality, it CAN'T just be a matter of making claims. We need to be able to verify the claims, and peer review is the best tool for that.
You can claim anything you want to. You can say your religion is just as valid as mine, but reality is reality, and what people believe does not determined reality, reality simply exists. All we can do is discover it, or fail to do so.

Peer review is not how the truth of a religion is determined or verified because that would be like saying that other people’s opinions matter and that by getting a consensus we can determine which religion is true, but there is no reason to think other people will be correct in their evidence evaluation, they could all be wrong.

That is why peer review is not how we determine which religion is true. It has to be an individual determination and an individual decision because at the end of the day we are all responsible for our own beliefs.

Evidence evaluation is the best tool to determine if a religion is true. Whether a religion is true or not is determined by the evidence, but not everyone will view the same evidence the same way, and that is why it has to be an individual determination as to whether a religion is true or not.

You are correct that if religions contradict they cannot both be right. It is our responsibility to determine which religion is right, by looking at the evidence for ourselves.
I suspect that religious folk claim that peer review shouldn't be applied to religious belief simply because every time it is, it undermines that belief, and the religious folk don't like that.
Can you give me an example of how peer review might be applied to religion?
As I said, that doesn't work for anything that is making any kind of statement about reality.
Why doesn’t it work? Why would a consensus of opinion apply to a religion and indicate that it is the true religion? Do you believe that Christianity si the one tryu religion just because it claims a majority of the world population? This is the fallacy of argumentum ad populum

In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people") is a fallacious argument that concludes that a proposition is true because many or most people believe it: "If many believe so, it is so."

The converse of this is that if many or most people do not believe it, it cannot be so, and that is fallacious. [/quote]

Whenever a new Messenger of God appears, He is the narrow gate by which we can attain eternal life. That is why Jesus said…

Matthew 7:13-14 Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

There are many logical reasons why only a few people recognize the new Messenger when He appears on earth. The main reason is because most people are steeped in religious tradition or attached to what they already believe. Secondly, if they do not have a religion, most people are suspicious of the new religion and the new Messenger. Thirdly, if they are atheists they do not like the idea of Messengers of God or they think they are all phonies. You are a case in point.

It is difficult to get through the narrow gate because one has to be willing to give up all their preconceived ideas, have an open mind, and think for themselves. Most people do not normally embark upon such a journey. They go through the wide gate, the easy one to get through – their own religious tradition or their own preconceived ideas about God or no god. They follow the broad road that is easiest for them to travel.
As I said, your argument essentially boiled down to, "Any legitimate evidence must state that our position is correct." That is a logical fallacy.
Why is that a logical fallacy?
Why? When you decide that any evidence that suggests Baha'u'llah was not a messenger of God, that is the very definition of cherry picking. You are picking and choosing what evidence you accept and what evidence you reject based on whether it agrees with your preconceived notions or not.
No, I am looking at ALL the evidence but if we see something that is not relevant to determining if He is a Messenger then it is not evidence so we can discard it. For example, someone might say that because Baha’u’llah had several wives that means He could not have been a Messenger of God. That is irrelevant because Muhammad also had many wives because that was customary in Muslim culture back then and it was within the laws of Islam.
But didn't you just say that the process of checking - peer review - is the last thing you want when it comes to religion?
I did say that (see above). Checking the objective evidence involves independent investigation of truth, i.e., doing our own homework and judging for ourselves.

“If a man were to declare, ‘There is a lamp in the next room which gives no light’, one hearer might be satisfied with his report, but a wiser man goes into the room to judge for himself, and behold, when he finds the light shining brilliantly in the lamp, he knows the truth!” Paris Talks, p. 103

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
There is a very simple reason why the Mormon Faith has about twice as many members as the Baha'i Faith. It is essentially a Christian religion, with the addition of the writings of Joseph Smith, kind of a new age Christian sect. So obviously since there are 2.3 billion Christians in the world there is a much larger population from which to draw new members.
I get the feeling most "traditional" and established sects of Christianity rejected Joseph Smith's teachings.

Simply put, most people question the Baha'i Faith because 84 percent of the world population has a faith.
It's like fishing, if you use the wrong bait, you ain't gonna catch much fist. Baha'is have a lot of strikes against it... like disagreeing with too many cherished beliefs of the other religions. Like not fulfilling prophecies as people expect them to be fulfilled.
There is no cherry picking.
Without cherry picking where would the newer religions be?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It's like fishing, if you use the wrong bait, you ain't gonna catch much fist. Baha'is have a lot of strikes against it... like disagreeing with too many cherished beliefs of the other religions. Like not fulfilling prophecies as people expect them to be fulfilled.
Baha'is are not fishing for anything. ;)

We do not have strikes against us just because we are not that popular among the older religious adherents....

Matthew 7:13-14 Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

There are many reasons why only a few people recognize the new Messenger when He appears on earth. The main reason is because most people are steeped in religious tradition or attached to what they already believe. Secondly, if they do not have a religion, most people are suspicious of the new religion and the new Messenger. Thirdly, if they are atheists they do not like the idea of Messengers of God or they think they are all phonies.

It is difficult to get through the narrow gate because one has to be willing to give up all their preconceived ideas, have an open mind, and think for themselves. Most people do not normally embark upon such a journey. They go through the wide gate, the easy one to get through – their own religious tradition or their own preconceived ideas about God or no god. They follow the broad road that is easiest for them to travel.

Tiberius

There is no proof of that and that is why we have to look at the other evidence that indicates that He was telling the truth about hearing from God.

Anyone can talk to God, in prayer, but only Messengers of God hear God speak through the Holy Spirit.

Unfortunately, your evidence can't be verified.

You can claim anything you want to. You can say your religion is just as valid as mine, but reality is reality, and what people believe does not determined reality, reality simply exists. All we can do is discover it, or fail to do so.

And the most reliable way to do that is to use verifiable evidence, wouldn't you say?

Peer review is not how the truth of a religion is determined or verified because that would be like saying that other people’s opinions matter and that by getting a consensus we can determine which religion is true, but there is no reason to think other people will be correct in their evidence evaluation, they could all be wrong.

Are you saying that a person's religion is just their own opinion, nothing more?

That is why peer review is not how we determine which religion is true. It has to be an individual determination and an individual decision because at the end of the day we are all responsible for our own beliefs.

Evidence evaluation is the best tool to determine if a religion is true. Whether a religion is true or not is determined by the evidence, but not everyone will view the same evidence the same way, and that is why it has to be an individual determination as to whether a religion is true or not.

Except it doesn't work.

If religion A is true, then it is true for EVERYONE. It can't be true for some people but false for other people. So if people are making determinations about which religion is true based on unverifiable evidence, which not everyone will view in the same way, that introduces biases. ANd your method of finding out which religion is true has no way to eliminate those biases, does it?

On the other hand, peer review DOES have a way to eliminate those personal biases. And that, perhaps, is why you don't want it to be used. Because which religion a person accepts as true is nothing but a personal bias.

You are correct that if religions contradict they cannot both be right. It is our responsibility to determine which religion is right, by looking at the evidence for ourselves.

And we need some way to verify that evidence before we accept it, don't we? Otherwise we'd be looking at all sorts of stuff that we think is evidence, but is really nothing more than story and superstition.

Can you give me an example of how peer review might be applied to religion?

Sure. Get people to check the claims made by various religious texts. The Bible, for example, says that true believers will be able to drink poison and not get sick.

Why doesn’t it work? Why would a consensus of opinion apply to a religion and indicate that it is the true religion? Do you believe that Christianity si the one tryu religion just because it claims a majority of the world population? This is the fallacy of argumentum ad populum

In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people") is a fallacious argument that concludes that a proposition is true because many or most people believe it: "If many believe so, it is so."

The converse of this is that if many or most people do not believe it, it cannot be so, and that is fallacious.

I'm an atheist. I most certainly do NOT think Christianity is the correct religion. I don't think ANY religion is correct.

Whenever a new Messenger of God appears, He is the narrow gate by which we can attain eternal life. That is why Jesus said…

There are many logical reasons why only a few people recognize the new Messenger when He appears on earth. The main reason is because most people are steeped in religious tradition or attached to what they already believe. Secondly, if they do not have a religion, most people are suspicious of the new religion and the new Messenger. Thirdly, if they are atheists they do not like the idea of Messengers of God or they think they are all phonies. You are a case in point.

Nice story, but I';m gonna need some actual evidence. I'm not just gonna take your word for it just because you claim something. You want me to believe your claims, you gotta give me a good reason to.

Why is that a logical fallacy?

Because you are cherry picking. You make a determination about whether the evidence is valid or not based on if it says what you want it to say.

I could ask everyone on this forum if Tiberius is the best member on this site. And then I could decide, "The only valid answers are the ones that say Tiberius is the best. Any answer that does NOT say Tiberius is the best is invalid and can be discarded." It's not going to be a surprise to anyone when the results turn out to say that 100% think I'm the best member here.

No, I am looking at ALL the evidence but if we see something that is not relevant to determining if He is a Messenger then it is not evidence so we can discard it. For example, someone might say that because Baha’u’llah had several wives that means He could not have been a Messenger of God. That is irrelevant because Muhammad also had many wives because that was customary in Muslim culture back then and it was within the laws of Islam.

No, that's not what you said.

You said, "We can ignore any evidence that does not indicate that Baha’u’llah was a Messenger of God."

That would mean that if you came across evidence that said Baha’u’llah was NOT a messenger of God, you would discard it. In other words, you are only collecting evidence that agrees with what you've already decided.

I did say that (see above). Checking the objective evidence involves independent investigation of truth, i.e., doing our own homework and judging for ourselves.

“If a man were to declare, ‘There is a lamp in the next room which gives no light’, one hearer might be satisfied with his report, but a wiser man goes into the room to judge for himself, and behold, when he finds the light shining brilliantly in the lamp, he knows the truth!” Paris Talks, p. 103

And that is peer review. The man's work is verified by the person who goes into the next room to check the validity of the first man's claim. And then if the second person comes back and tells the first man the truth, the first man will need to see if there is anything that stopped him from seeing the truth (maybe he had his eyes closed). This is how peer review corrects for any personal bias.

So you've said peer review is not suitable and then given an example of peer review as what we SHOULD do!

That suggests to me that you don't actually understand what peer review actually is.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Unfortunately, your evidence can't be verified.
No, it cannot be verified that Baha’u’llah heard God speak through the Holy Spirit. How could such a thing ever be verified? That is why it is a belief and not a fact.
And the most reliable way to do that is to use verifiable evidence, wouldn't you say?
Yes, I’d say that.
Are you saying that a person's religion is just their own opinion, nothing more?
Absolutely, it’s their opinion based upon the evidence.
Except it doesn't work.

If religion A is true, then it is true for EVERYONE. It can't be true for some people but false for other people. So if people are making determinations about which religion is true based on unverifiable evidence, which not everyone will view in the same way, that introduces biases. ANd your method of finding out which religion is true has no way to eliminate those biases, does it?
No, there is no way to eliminate personal biases, they will always exist, but so what?
On the other hand, peer review DOES have a way to eliminate those personal biases. And that, perhaps, is why you don't want it to be used. Because which religion a person accepts as true is nothing but a personal bias.
All peer review accomplishes is to introduce other personal biases. That does not get us any closer to the truth, because there is no reason to think that our peers are any better at determining the truth than we are. Each of us have to determine what we are going to believe is the truth based upon our own research and evaluation of the evidence.
And we need some way to verify that evidence before we accept it, don't we? Otherwise we'd be looking at all sorts of stuff that we think is evidence, but is really nothing more than story and superstition.
If you do not trust your own judgment I guess there is no point even looking.
Sure. Get people to check the claims made by various religious texts. The Bible, for example, says that true believers will be able to drink poison and not get sick.
So people should test the claims by drinking poison? Doesn’t sound very smart to me.
I'm an atheist. I most certainly do NOT think Christianity is the correct religion. I don't think ANY religion is correct.
Well, obviously that is the case. I was not raised in any religion as both my parents dropped out of Christianity before I was born so I was a nonbeliever before I became a Baha’i during my first year of college. I never even thought about God or religion before that and I when I joined the Baha’i Faith I considered it a Cause, not a religion. Not having been raised in a religion I could not even relate to religion or God. Only much later in life did I even take God seriously.
Nice story, but I';m gonna need some actual evidence. I'm not just gonna take your word for it just because you claim something. You want me to believe your claims, you gotta give me a good reason to.
That is what you are supposed to say. You should never believe claims without evidence to back up the claims. Then the next question is what you would consider evidence?
Because you are cherry picking. You make a determination about whether the evidence is valid or not based on if it says what you want it to say.

I could ask everyone on this forum if Tiberius is the best member on this site. And then I could decide, "The only valid answers are the ones that say Tiberius is the best. Any answer that does NOT say Tiberius is the best is invalid and can be discarded." It's not going to be a surprise to anyone when the results turn out to say that 100% think I'm the best member here.
Why do you think I do that the only answer I would have accepted is that Baha’u’llah was a true Messenger of God? Do you really think I decided that before I did any research? I could not have had any confirmation bias since I never had any religion before, so I was a blank slate when I stumbled upon the Baha’i Faith.

I read everything I could get my hands on at that time, what had been published, but of course there was no internet back then. For many years I was not involved with the Baha’i Faith, I was too busy amassing college degrees, and I had other personal issues that precluded me being interested in God or religion, but then I started to take it seriously about seven years ago, and for the last seven years that is all In have done in my free time, read and post on forums. I have been challenged by just about everyone to come up with evidence so I have had to do much additional reading and research. I never doubted Baha’u’llah all the time I was away from the Faith but now I know why I believe so strongly.
No, that's not what you said.

You said, "We can ignore any evidence that does not indicate that Baha’u’llah was a Messenger of God."

That would mean that if you came across evidence that said Baha’u’llah was NOT a messenger of God, you would discard it. In other words, you are only collecting evidence that agrees with what you've already decided.
You are suggesting that I would not look at evidence that Baha’u’llah was a false prophet, but that is not true. If I had seen any evidence like that before I became a Baha'i or if anyone had such evidence now I would look at it. In fact, many times I have asked the naysayers to produce such evidence and when I asked a Christian once she banned me from her forum. She was the one who said Baha’u’llah was a false prophet so I just asked her to produce some evidence to prove that. Obviously she did not have any.

The upshot is that if Baha’u’llah had done something that no true Messenger of God should ever do I would be all ears because that would cast doubts in my mind, as it should. I do not want to believe in a false prophet.
And that is peer review. The man's work is verified by the person who goes into the next room to check the validity of the first man's claim. And then if the second person comes back and tells the first man the truth, the first man will need to see if there is anything that stopped him from seeing the truth (maybe he had his eyes closed). This is how peer review corrects for any personal bias.
Okay, now we are getting somewhere. I did not know that is what you meant by peer review, so I am glad I posted that quote. Basically this is two people having a discussion about the evidence, what they believe about what was in the room. I see no reason why we cannot get other opinions about the evidence but I still do not think we should decide what to believe based upon someone else’s opinion, because that person could be just as wrong as we are. It would be different if we were consulting someone who knew more than we did about the religion, as that could be very helpful.
So you've said peer review is not suitable and then given an example of peer review as what we SHOULD do!

That suggests to me that you don't actually understand what peer review actually is.
I know what peer review is but I did not know what you meant by peer review as it is related to checking out a religion and how that would be conducted. Now I know. ;)

Tiberius

No, it cannot be verified that Baha’u’llah heard God speak through the Holy Spirit. How could such a thing ever be verified? That is why it is a belief and not a fact.

But you said in post 284 that you had verified that he heard God. Sounds to me it was just you deciding on an opinion, you didn't actually verify anything.

Yes, I’d say that.

Glad we agree.

Absolutely, it’s their opinion based upon the evidence.

And you agree that your own religious belief is just an opinion?

No, there is no way to eliminate personal biases, they will always exist, but so what?

But we can minimize them so they have little effect on our final results.

All peer review accomplishes is to introduce other personal biases. That does not get us any closer to the truth, because there is no reason to think that our peers are any better at determining the truth than we are. Each of us have to determine what we are going to believe is the truth based upon our own research and evaluation of the evidence.

No, because if one person has some particular bias that skews the results, that bias is not likely to be shared by others. Have a look at this table. It's a bunch of movies that have been judged by a panel of reviews, who each gave a score out of ten.

[GALLERY=media, 9316]Movie Scores by Tiberius posted Jun 11, 2020 at 6:36 PM[/GALLERY]

You can see that for each movie, most of the reviews felt it was okay, but some reviews loved a movie whole other reviewers hated it. But even these dramatically outlying scores didn't move the final average score of each movie much. Each reviewer had a bias for a movie and against a movie, but these biases have been pretty much cancelled out in the final scores.

And before you claim that it's because there were both high and low scores for each movie, look at the scores for The Princess Bride. No one hated that movie. Ebony loved it, but all the other reviewers gave it a 5/10 or higher. And that wasn't even enough to get the score much above any of the others, even with the bias towards a higher score.

So by getting other people to review your work, biases CAN be minimised.

If you do not trust your own judgment I guess there is no point even looking.

I do trust my judgement, but I'm also aware that it can be fooled, so I prefer to have something a little more concrete to go on.

So people should test the claims by drinking poison? Doesn’t sound very smart to me.

It's simply putting testable claims to an actual test. The Bible also says that people with even a tiny amount of faith can pray for mountains to move, and the mountains actually will go jumping about the countryside.

Well, obviously that is the case. I was not raised in any religion as both my parents dropped out of Christianity before I was born so I was a nonbeliever before I became a Baha’i during my first year of college. I never even thought about God or religion before that and I when I joined the Baha’i Faith I considered it a Cause, not a religion. Not having been raised in a religion I could not even relate to religion or God. Only much later in life did I even take God seriously.

If it is obviously the case that I'm an atheist, why did you ask me if I believed Christianity was true because lots of people think it is true?

That is what you are supposed to say. You should never believe claims without evidence to back up the claims. Then the next question is what you would consider evidence?

Anything that can be put to the test and checked by other people.

If someone claims I can come to know their deity of choice by opening my heart to that deity, then that is not checkable. Even if I get the result they promise, I can never be sure that it wasn't because of some personal bias I had.

But if someone tells me that the proof of their religion is that when you say a certain word, a particular event will happen that can only come from a deity, I can put it to the test. And I can repeat the test multiple times to make sure that the result I got was not a fluke. And I can get other people to do it as well. If they all report consistent results, then that is verified evidence that the religious claim is true.

Why do you think I do that the only answer I would have accepted is that Baha’u’llah was a true Messenger of God? Do you really think I decided that before I did any research? I could not have had any confirmation bias since I never had any religion before, so I was a blank slate when I stumbled upon the Baha’i Faith.

I read everything I could get my hands on at that time, what had been published, but of course there was no internet back then. For many years I was not involved with the Baha’i Faith, I was too busy amassing college degrees, and I had other personal issues that precluded me being interested in God or religion, but then I started to take it seriously about seven years ago, and for the last seven years that is all In have done in my free time, read and post on forums. I have been challenged by just about everyone to come up with evidence so I have had to do much additional reading and research. I never doubted Baha’u’llah all the time I was away from the Faith but now I know why I believe so strongly.

it doesn't matter. You still could have had some bias that influenced you towards being more forgiving when it came to evidence supporting Baha'i and stricter when it came to evidence against it. Like I've been saying, that's why we need some way to verify it and eliminate those biases.

You are suggesting that I would not look at evidence that Baha’u’llah was a false prophet, but that is not true. If I had seen any evidence like that before I became a Baha'i or if anyone had such evidence now I would look at it. In fact, many times I have asked the naysayers to produce such evidence and when I asked a Christian once she banned me from her forum. She was the one who said Baha’u’llah was a false prophet so I just asked her to produce some evidence to prove that. Obviously she did not have any.

So you do understand the importance of verifiable information? Why do you request verifiable information to disprove your beliefs, but apparently not to support them?

The upshot is that if Baha’u’llah had done something that no true Messenger of God should ever do I would be all ears because that would cast doubts in my mind, as it should. I do not want to believe in a false prophet.

Of course, what counts as something no true messenger of God would do is just another opinion.

Okay, now we are getting somewhere. I did not know that is what you meant by peer review, so I am glad I posted that quote. Basically this is two people having a discussion about the evidence, what they believe about what was in the room. I see no reason why we cannot get other opinions about the evidence but I still do not think we should decide what to believe based upon someone else’s opinion, because that person could be just as wrong as we are. It would be different if we were consulting someone who knew more than we did about the religion, as that could be very helpful.

I still don't think you get it. The whole idea is to remove opinion altogether. That's why you go and look at verifiable facts.

I know what peer review is but I did not know what you meant by peer review as it is related to checking out a religion and how that would be conducted. Now I know. ;)

The concept of peer review is a very well documented concept. I don't understand why you would have any confusion about what I meant.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Baha'is are not fishing for anything.
Then why do they have "teaching" projects? They "bait" them in with food, music, a movie, and a speaker. They have declaration cards on hand ready to be filled out.

We do not have strikes against us just because we are not that popular among the older religious adherents....
When you say people already have their beliefs and aren't looking for a new religion, I'd call that a strike. When a Persian man takes the title of Baha'u'llah, "The Glory of God" and proclaims himself to be the return of everybody ever promised by any religion, then that's a strike. It's an automatic turn off especially for Christians, Muslims, and Jews.

It is difficult to get through the narrow gate because one has to be willing to give up all their preconceived ideas, have an open mind, and think for themselves. Most people do not normally embark upon such a journey. They go through the wide gate, the easy one to get through – their own religious tradition or their own preconceived ideas about God or no god.
What you call "preconceived" ideas are people's beliefs they got from their Scriptures. To get through the "narrow gate", people were supposed to be following the teachings in those Scriptures. But why are you using quotes from the Bible and the NT? Do you really read it and care about it... and understand it? Or, is it only something to be cherry picked through for verses that you can use?